Isle Royale glass

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdiman

Jul 3, 2007
Nebraska
I have a Quadra-fire Isle Royale and i have burnt it a couple of times this year and i can seem to keep the glass clean. Does anyone have any suggestions to help with this.

Kelly

first suggettion is to burn dry wood moist wood will cloud the glass up real quickly

My first suggestion is: READ YOUR OWNER'S MANUAL. If you don't have it download it from the manufacturer's web site. It will tell you what you need to know to burn properly and be safe.

Yep, Elk's right, you need very dry wood. If the wood is wet, don't burn it - you can get a chimney fire. Marginally dry wood will need more air to burn cleanly. If you don't see flame the whole time, the glass will get dirty.

Do use a stove thermometer and follow your owners manual to prevent overfiring, etc. If the manual doesn't list operating temperature or placement of the thermometer, please call or email the manufacturer for that information.

Are you getting black gunk on the glass or is it just getting hazy? Or possible brown gunk? Look inside the stove, is the top 1/4 of the firebricks black as well?

As it gets colder and you burn hotter fires it should be OK. Make sure you have good draft and don't damper the fire down to much. A new stove always has a learning curve to find it's sweet spot. I recommend a chimney probe thermometer and stove thermometer. That way you can keep your chimney and stove in the proper temperature range. Make sure your chimney is clean and your wood dry and you will be just fine.

I don't know how new your stove is but look at the glass gasketing. If you have a small leak it can cool down the air wash and condense some of the smoke. That would be evident in a particular area. If all of the glass is dirty then it is probably from a combination of factors above.

With the Isle Royal, a good, hot fire with properly seasoned wood should keep clean glass for about 2 weeks before you will want to clean it again. On mine, I clean the glass when I clean the ashes out. If within a couple of fires, you have dirty glass, something is not right.

1.) Unseasoned wood
2.) Not burning at proper temps.
3.) Draft issues (gaskets, stack draft, etc.)
4.) Shutting the air down too tight.
5.) Slow start-up fires (yep, this can do it also)

Some of this will be a learning curve, as with all stoves, but if you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. I am going on the 6th season with mine. It really is an awesome heat machine once you get familiar with it.

Jags.

The black film on the glass accompanied by the top 1/4 of the bricks being black is usually from burning unseasoned wood or smoldering the fire too much by choking all the air off.

jtp10181 said:
The black film on the glass accompanied by the top 1/4 of the bricks being black is usually from burning unseasoned wood or smoldering the fire too much by choking all the air off.

Yep, I'll second that.

Status
Not open for further replies.