Isle Royale top loading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toploader

Burning Hunk
Sep 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
Well I'm about to pull the trigger on either the Hearthstone Manchester, the Jotul F600 or the isle Royale. Each of these stoves I think could work very well for me, each have their strong points and potential drawbacks but the biggest unknown for me is how functional the top load option is on the Isle Royale[nobody in my area stocks them]. I'm used to the VC top load which I used exclusively and if it is possible to use the Isle Royale this way it would probably pull me in that direction. Is the whole depth of the fire box accessible from the top or is it more like the Rangley where a good portion of the back of the fire box is not accessible? I would really appreciate hearing from Isle Royale owners, I know many of you prefer not use the top load but I'm interested in whether or not it is possible. Thanks for your help; Brian

Last edited:
Calling Jags and Northwind to the front desk. IR question here.

I think the IR firebox is more rectangular than the F50, but it's best to talk with a couple owners of this beauty.

I have tho have not used it yet.but I did check out the top load and it is narrow and not very long.it will not work for me as I think it is easier to just open the door and load plus it will take the bigger wood and do not have to drop it from the top especially if it is a reload. cannot see myself using that feature but if you have smaller wood it may work for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tho have not used it yet.but I did check out the top load and it is narrow and not very long.it will not work for me as I think it is easier to just open the door and load plus it will take the bigger wood and do not have to drop it from the top especially if it is a reload. cannot see myself using that feature but if you have smaller wood it may work for you.
Is it more that the bigger wood will not fit or just that you find it easier to load from the front? Since I'm used to top loading it would be easier for me to use it assuming my wood will fit, I don't find it difficult to place the wood in gently from the top, with gloves on. Does the baffle open out of the way or does it limit the width of the opening?

Personally I don't like the top load feature on the IR. It does not give full access to the firebox. Only about the front half of it. I am also not a fan of dropping wood into the stove. I use the front doors exclusively.

Edit: the baffle is moved out of the way with a lever on the right side of the stove. It functions as it should, but you ain't gonna be reaching into a hot stove even with gloves. The baffle is gonna try to gassify your gloves.;lol

Last edited:
Personally I don't like the top load feature on the IR. It does not give full access to the firebox. Only about the front half of it. I am also not a fan of dropping wood into the stove. I use the front doors exclusively.

Edit: the baffle is moved out of the way with a lever on the right side of the stove. It functions as it should, but you ain't gonna be reaching into a hot stove even with gloves. The baffle is gonna try to gassify your gloves.;lol
It sounds similar to the Jotul Rangley which even as a fan of top loading I would probably never use unless there was a need to add a single log or two. I guess only the downdraft stoves can offer practical top loading and I don't want to go in that direction. Thanks for the feedback.

You bet. If you have any more questions on the IR feel free to hit me up. I have been running one for a while now. Make no mistake, they are a heating beast.

You bet. If you have any more questions on the IR feel free to hit me up. I have been running one for a while now. Make no mistake, they are a heating beast.
Hey Jags; I just can't seem to decide between these 3 stoves, unfortunately my fireplace opening is only 30.25". The Manchester is the best fit because the top of the flue pipe on the Manchester is 28.75" so this gives me 1.5" of clearance, the top of the flue pipe on Isle Royale is 29.75[.75" clearance] and on the F600 it is 30.5"[I would have to grind out the underside of the brick to make room]. I have about 22' of 6" flex liner with 2 floors [1800sqft] of somewhat drafty house to heat. The Manchester makes the most sense but I'm not in love with it's looks, I do love the look of the F600 but altering my fireplace doesn't appeal to me. The Isle Royale is another beauty and the n/s loading option is great but I worry based on what others have said that I won't be able to control the burn well enough. I know you run yours hot but could you run it at 500 with full loads if you wanted to. Here is picture of my set up, I'm a little worried about too much heat build up around the mantel area and behind the plaster wall.

Attachments

• IMG_1550.JPG
    IMG_1550.JPG
    166.2 KB · Views: 101
With 22' of liner it is gonna draw pretty hard. It is a very controllable stove meaning that overfires and the like are not an issue, but much like many other stoves, it has a sweet spot that they like to cruise in. The IR likes somewhere around 600 (much like the Englander NC 30).

Keep in mind that the 22" length of firewood that is advertised for this stove is E/W. If you are gonna burn N/S your wood will need to be shorter than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.