Isle-Royale - Warped metal

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

karri0n

Nov 18, 2008
Eastern CT
I have a quad Isle-Royale, and I've noticed something that may or may not require some attention. There are two air intakes in the rear of the firebox for the startup air control. Directly above or below(can't picture for sure whther it's above or below) these, there is a piece of metal that I presume should be straight, but on my stove is quite warped/bent in a downward curve. It doesn't interfere with the holes for the startup air, but it certainly doesn't look like it's in the order it should be in. Any IR owners that know what this piece is for, and if it matters that mine is bent? It looks like it might just be a piece of framing for the firebrick.

I'll get a pic when I get home tonite.

I'll check mine tonite too and post a pic. I think it is a piece of angle iron to hold in the firebricks. I wish there were more pics of Isle Royales on here........so nice to see other setups.

That sounds right, Java. I think you are picturing the correct piece. I like the "tornado" thing in your sig. That's an extremely accurate description of the IR. I'll put up a pic of my hearth as well.

java1080 said:
I think it is a piece of angle iron to hold in the firebricks.

Ding, Ding, Ding and the prize goes to java (see Craig for the prize).

Ain't nothin but a piece of angle iron that holds the firebrick standing up. karrion - isn't this a new stove for you?? It really shouldn't be warped "yet". The only reason mine has a warp on it, is because its getting thin from years of dealing with close contact from fire. It can be straightened as well. It will simply lift out of place. This is such a simple piece, that I am gonna make my own replacement from some stainless angle. Hopefully that will last a little longer than the 6 (going on 7) years the first one did.

You got it right - new stove *to me*. It was already here and used many times when I moved in. This piece has been warped since I met her. Looks like the previous users often burned a lot of wood, and never shut the air down at all. There's obvious overfiring, some bricks are crumbled, this piece is warped, and the firebrick on the baffle has several 1/4" to 1/2" "dings" or pieces missing, but no exposed metal.

Yeah, I love this stove....best thing I've ever purchased. I'm glad I bought one before they quit making them. Looking forward to years of sweating in my shorts. Can't wait to see the pic. Warped piece doesn't sound good but should be easy to fix/replace; if it's just holding in the bricks it's prolly fine as is. Makes you wonder tho why it warped.

karri0n said:
You got it right - new stove *to me*. It was already here and used many times when I moved in. This piece has been warped since I met her. Looks like the previous users often burned a lot of wood, and never shut the air down at all. There's obvious overfiring, some bricks are crumbled, this piece is warped, and the firebrick on the baffle has several 1/4" to 1/2" "dings" or pieces missing, but no exposed metal.

Gotcha - sounds like she was rode hard. Should be pretty easy to fab up a new one, if that one is toast. A hunk of angle iron (most hardware stores carry small pieces if you don't have any, and a hack saw or power saw would do it. If you want to make it "just" like the original, you would need to drill a small hole where the angle is bent, but probably not really needed.

java1080 said:
Yeah, I love this stove....best thing I've ever purchased. I'm glad I bought one before they quit making them. Looking forward to years of sweating in my shorts. Can't wait to see the pic. Warped piece doesn't sound good but should be easy to fix/replace; if it's just holding in the bricks it's prolly fine as is. Makes you wonder tho why it warped.

Warped for the same reason as Jags' I'm sure - heat.

If it's just for the firebrick, I'm not too worried. I'll replace the piece at some point when I eventually have to do the firebrick or something else that actually affects performance or safety.

I'll probably post some pics of the interior of the stove sometime soon, as there is some real heavy wear in a few places, and I'd like to get an opinion on some of it.

karri0n said:
java1080 said:

Warped for the same reason as Jags' I'm sure - heat.

Yeah, that piece is positioned where it really gets attacked by the direct fire. I think you could consider it sacrificial. But hey, if I only gotta think about it every 6-7-8 years, no biggie. That is quite honestly the first and only issue I have had in over 6 years. Not a bad track record considering the fix can be had for 10 bucks and 10 minutes of time.

Can't believe those people didn't take the IR with them......suckers! Can you post some pics of your IR jags. Your past posts helped steer me to the IR and made me laugh so hard I woke up my wife.

I hope the prize is the side mitten racks.......I gotta get me some of those.

I rent the house from my landlord. That would be the reason the previous users didn't take the IR. There have been probably 15 or more different sets of tenants in the house in the last 5 years. I've been in the house since June of last year, and I believe we are the longest tenants that our landlord has had. We receive mail for about 12 different sets of people. I don't know how many of these tenants used the stove, but I do believe most of them left the house as soon as they experienced their first winter.

java1080 said:
Can you post some pics of your IR jags.

Anything in particular you looking for???

I don't know how big the house is but the IR properly used will keep almost any house toasty. I have 2600 sq ft craftsman 2 story and the IR keeps it about 75 down and 68 up. All that extra mail would prolly fit in the IR.

Nothin specific Jags.......just a pic of that beautiful beast.

java1080 said:
I don't know how big the house is but the IR properly used will keep almost any house toasty. I have 2600 sq ft craftsman 2 story and the IR keeps it about 75 down and 68 up. All that extra mail would prolly fit in the IR.

Nothin specific Jags.......just a pic of that beautiful beast.

Shes just the simple old black beast. Simplistic beautiful old cast iron. I will see if I can get some pics tonight. Gotta get plowing when I go home though. (dang snow)

Yeah I was kinda leaning towards the matte black simple cast one but my wife wanted the mahoganny.......it matches better. It don't matter.....it's a Quad IR any way you look at it. Yeah I noticed you guys were getting hammered over there. Have fun playin in the snow and say hello to your IR for me when you go in.......she has been working hard.

Some pics of my IR...............one good shot of the inside with the angle iron that holds in the rear firebrick.

Attachments

• Woodstove 005.JPG
    Woodstove 005.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 352
  • Woodstove 003.JPG
    Woodstove 003.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 342
Couple more................

Attachments

• Woodstove 009.JPG
    Woodstove 009.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 356
  • Woodstove 011.JPG
    Woodstove 011.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 370
Last one...

Attachments

• Woodstove 012.JPG
    Woodstove 012.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 368
Java, Very nice looking stove and install! The stove looks new and I thought it was a brochure picture at first.

Luv that stove, thanks for the pics java.

Nice stove!

That was the runner up back three yrs. ago, but the "lady" did not like the gold handles ;-P

Sorry, off topic....what kind of burn times are getting with it & what size of area are you heating?

Thanks
D

Thanks Ron. Yeah I picked it up in July and installed it in Oct. I had my wife take the pics, she's into photography. I had my eye on a 5700 first but my wife didn't like the look of steel stoves and it wouldn't work with my setup. Wouldn't mind seeing some pics of your behemoth, such a great stove. :)

Thanks D,

I'm heating my whole house with it. 2600 sq ft craftsman 2 story. I physically shut off the boiler so it won't come on (encourages "lady" to get hang of IR) Each floor is about 1300 sq ft, downstairs is usually around 72-76 and upstairs is 65-70. I am so thrilled that the IR can pull that off. Hasn't been super cold yet but I also haven't cranked it either. I'm anxious to see my temps when it's 0.

I'm still getting used to the stove but if I pack it full of splits I can get about 6-7 hours with enough coals for restart. If I need more heat I run it hotter and have been getting 4-5 hours with full load. During the day when adding a split or two you can feed it every 2-3 hours. My wife stays at home so she manages it when I'm at work.

Right now it works best when I rake the coals to front, fill up with 4 good splits, run it hot for about 15 min and then close air about half way, wait a few minutes then close air to about 25%. Nice slow steady burn with secondary combustion, it's so fun to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.