Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

northwinds

Minister of Fire
Jul 9, 2006
south central WI

Isle Royale cruising at 600

Air slid all the way to the right? I get that very small amount of primary when I have her shut down all the way too. Mostly secondaries, though.

I noticed you have your andirons cranked up. Do you top load?

karri0n said:
Air slid all the way to the right? I get that very small amount of primary when I have her shut down all the way too. Mostly secondaries, though.

I noticed you have your andirons cranked up. Do you top load?

With my set-up, I don't slide it all the way to the right--maybe 90%. I like having a little fire down below to go with the secondaries.

I crank up the andirons after front loading. It keeps the wood off the glass.

Stay warm everybody. We have snow thunder predicted tonight. Thunder, lightning, and heavy snow. Then we're heading below
zero. Winter is here.

Do you tend to load it up north-south or east-west?

I get longer burns east/west and hotter burns north/south. I've got wood that's all different sizes, so I kind of pick
and choose depending on the temp of the house and whether I'm going to be around to fire tend. For overnight
burns, I've been loading east west with medium-sized rounds of elm in the back. During the morning or afternoon,
I frequently go north/south.

Do you keep your andirons down? Once I learned how easy it was to move them up and down with my welding
gloves on re-load, I use the andirons all the time. Flip them down to reload, flip them back up when I have the firebox
loaded the way I want.

I load exclusively N-S, So I don't worry about logs coming forward. I agree they aren't difficult to engage/disengage, I've just not gotten any great deal of use out of them. I suppose the design on them (sorta looks like a Q for Quad?) is kinda ok...

If anything I would use them as a guide so I know I'm not gonna close the door and have logs touching the glass, but I will admit that on more than one occasion I have logs sticking past the andirons but before the glass. I try to maximize the amount of wood I have in every CC of space inside the box.

I've thought about taking some splits and cutting to half size so I can utilize the two spaces on the sides that are wider in the front than in the back, and load those little spaces up N/S too :coolgrin:

Left one stays up, right one stays down. E/W loading primarily. With the right one down, it is easy to load the wood. The left one is usually all it takes to keep a log from rolling into the glass.

Jags said:
Left one stays up, right one stays down. E/W loading primarily. With the right one down, it is easy to load the wood. The left one is usually all it takes to keep a log from rolling into the glass.

I'm not going to admit I learned something from a flatlander. :) Hmmm, I should have thought of that.

northwinds said:
Jags said:

I'm not going to admit I learned something from a flatlander. :) Hmmm, I should have thought of that.

Give it a shot, I won't tell anybody. Its a secret between you and me buddy! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.