Isle Royale

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to look at a used Quadrafire Isle Royale this week. Does anyone know how that particular stove is assembled? Is it stove bolts and gaskets, or cemented joints, or both? Any other things I should look at? How is the firebrick held in?
Thanks, Scotty

There is all of the above I believe. I think you will find that some area's are bolted with gaskets, and others have cement. The fire brick are held in by pieces of angle iron. It is a very well built, solid stove, all in all. Around 600 pounds if I remember correctly (but don't quote me on that). I have used mine for 6 seasons now, with no complaints, and no problems. I heat my 110 year old 2 story farm house (approx 1750 sqft.) on top of an unprotected mild hill quite comfortably with it.

Most Quad cast units are not true traditional cast units. I would have to look at the IR in the showroom to be positive on this one though. Anyway... most are steel boxes with cast pieces bolted to that. The steel box is the burn chamber and is welded solid, then cast pieces are simply gasketed and bolted to it. The bricks are still held in the same way since 6 years ago, angle iron welded to the sides if I remember correctly from our showroom model.

From the blowup diagram in the manual, it looks like a true cast stove with firebrick lining and "wear plates" on the interior sides.

""Most Quad cast units are not true traditional cast units. I would have to look at the IR in the showroom to be positive on this one though. Anyway… most are steel boxes with cast pieces bolted to that. The steel box is the burn chamber and is welded solid, then cast pieces are simply gasketed and bolted to it. ""

Right....that's how most Quad cast units are assembled - But I am told that the IR is constructed differently. I'm not worried about it's construction - just want to get a feel for how a pre-owned IR will enjoy a 100 miles in the back of a pickup - and what kind of maintenance that might involve.

From the reports I hear, folks that have one seem to like it just fine and problems seem few. Jag, if you are still there do you burn your IR mostly in the high or in the lower heat range?
Thanks, Scotty

I burn mine in every range that is safe. All depends on the heating needs of the day. In the dead of winter, it is common for me to have a stove top temp north of 650 deg. I do try to keep it below 700, but I would not be telling the truth if I didn't say that it has slipped past that a time or two (or 3 or 4). I believe you will find that BeGreen is right on the money with the construction. It is a cast stove, but it does have 2 internal wear plates about 7 inches tall made of stainless in the inside east and west walls.

As far as a 100 miles in the back of a pickup? I think the stove would pound a hole in the bed of the truck before you hurt the stove. This is assuming that the stove is in good shape and everything is tight like its supposed to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.