IsoKern vs Rumford ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blueskychx

Mar 8, 2007
Hi,
I am remodeling and old cabin and the fireplace has to be torn down and rebuilt as it is pulling away from the house. Being and old cabin and all, I want a wood burning fireplace and need it to kick out some heat.

I have an IsoKern in my home and it does very well ... but boy have they gone up since I bought it ten years ago. So I am looking for alternatives for my get away.

I have been reading about Rumfords....does anyone have any comments or know of sites that will compare efficiency and cost?

All input welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
PJ

PS ... my neighbors cabin has an OLD heatform that is a steel box with rock vents built in surround and you would think there is a blower in there the way it puts out the heat but there is not. It runs them out of the house it puts out so much heat ... wish I could find one of those or something similar. Dont want blower noise though.

blueskychx said:
Hi,
I am remodeling and old cabin and the fireplace has to be torn down and rebuilt as it is pulling away from the house. Being and old cabin and all, I want a wood burning fireplace and need it to kick out some heat.

I have an IsoKern in my home and it does very well ... but boy have they gone up since I bought it ten years ago. So I am looking for alternatives for my get away.

I have been reading about Rumfords....does anyone have any comments or know of sites that will compare efficiency and cost?

All input welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
PJ

PS ... my neighbors cabin has an OLD heatform that is a steel box with rock vents built in surround and you would think there is a blower in there the way it puts out the heat but there is not. It runs them out of the house it puts out so much heat ... wish I could find one of those or something similar. Dont want blower noise though.

A Rumford is the name for the traditional masonry fireplaces and has to do with the design of the firebox and smoke chamber. They were state of the art in the colonial days, but things are a bit improved since then... I would suggest that you look at getting either a modern wood stove or an EPA approved prefab fireplace or insert. You might also consider walling up the old chimney opening and putting a more centrally located prefab chimney. External chimneys are the worst possible setup for heating efficiency, collecting creosote, etc. I think you will be amazed at what can be done with more modern stove technology, there have been more changes and improvements in the last 10 years than there have been in the last several centuries!

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.