Issue after hot fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hicksonj

May 4, 2008
Western, MA
Good evening all. I need a little help debugging an issue I'm having with my system. Here is some background:

I have a VC Resolute 0043 with a Selkirk DSP collar/damper, leading to a 6' run of DSP with an elbow in the middle, leading to a Selkirk insulated thimble, leading to a heavy gauge stainless liner (about 25' up from the thimble). The system (besides the 20+ year old stove) is less than 2 years old. I'm burning seasoned ash this season 18+ hours a day. It has been working great to date.

Tonight the air inlet flap on the back got stuck up/open with good bed of coals and a half magazine of wood (in updraft mode). I got the cooking DSP smell from the other room and quickly ran over. I caught it before the stove over-fired, but the temp was quickly departing the burn zone. I slowed the fire by dislodging and flipping the air inlet down and rotated the collar/damper to choke out the firebox.

Within 5 minutes the stove cooled (big fan above it helped). Thereafter, I flipped the collar/damper back to parallel and opened the air inlet about 1/2 way. The DSP immediately began to belch out smoke with gusto from every joint, requiring me to drop the air inlet back down. I ended up spending the entire night running the stove with as little air as possible and covering the upper DSP joints with wet hand towels to mitigate the regular leaks of smoke.

So the question is... what did I do? It is around zero F tonight, so this beast should be drafting like Ricky Bobby. My wild guess is that by choking and damper-ing the stove rapidly, I forced the firebox to smoke wildly while drawing cool air down the chimney for combustion, which cooled smoke already in the liner, resulting in a partial creosote blockage. Should I be on Amazon tomorrow ordering a SootEater and extension kit? Thanks for the help.

You may have also clogged up your screen/cap. Check for blockage at top.

What you describe, ( smoke coming from all joints in the DSP), happened to me also during a small chimney fire a few weeks ago.
I would disassemble and clean the DSP, check it for cracks, inspect thimble and chimney while everything is apart, if all looks good - put it back and burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.