Issue with Winslow PS40

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ppayne

Oct 15, 2015
Yellowknife
Hello,

First time posting but have read through a number of threads that have helped me troubleshoot to the point I'm currently at.

Been having an issue with my stove (winslow ps40) that started at the end of last winter and still haven't resolved. At seemingly intermittent times my stove will go into shutdown mode indicating a proof of fire error. I cleaned the switch, cleaned the stove, cleaned the stove again and was still getting the error. I replaced the switch and still no luck. I jumped the switch and continued to have issues, still indicating proof of fire, which is strange. I jumped the vacuum switch and things seemed to run fine for the next few fires. I assumed it was an issue with vacuum, however, everything seemed fine and burning well (clean the switch and hose with compressed air, cleaned the stove again, checked the seals). I also manually plugged the switch while the stove was running and it did shut down (with the vacuum code error, instead of the proof of fire code). Looking at the wiring diagram it appears that the two switches are connected in a daisy chain but send different voltages. I don't think the issue is with the switch, my feeling is something in the wiring. I also think it may have something to do with how hot the stove is. I haven't really been able to confirm this but it seems to run longer at a lower setting.

I'm really stumped here. I don't really want to call the service person because they weren't that helpful and it cost me 100$ (last time they just cleaned the pof switch and left without even checking if it would solve the issue, which it obviously didn't).

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum:) Hopefully you have pulled and cleaned combustion & convection blowers, all the exhaust pathways and venting. Make sure you have appropriate gaskets as needed when cleaning. Is the stove surge protected? How old?

Did you replace the other two snap switches? Temporary jump around them to troubleshoot? Always unplug when working in the cabinet... If overheat situation, usually overtemp switch will trigger (has reset button). Since switches are inexpensive, they are a good place to start. Verify the convection blower is functioning as it should.

Keep us posted...

I know what the problem is. This plagued me for years and I figured it out.

From your control board you have a blue wire that goes to the low limit and you have I think it's its a green wire that runs to the vac switch but they return back on a brown wire to the board. Between the vac switch and the low limit there is a jumper wire. It's very close to the heat from the exhaust and it gets "cooked" and by which I assume becomes less conductive...at least enough so to screw up the error reporting. Replace that wire and the problem will be solved.

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for the tip... I was really thinking it is something related to that but I would have also taken me years to figure out precisely what the issue is :). I will give this a try on the weekend and fingers cross it will fix my issue. I will let you know!

Hi Scott,

Thanks so much for the tip... I was really thinking it is something related to that but I would have also taken me years to figure out precisely what the issue is :). I will give this a try on the weekend and fingers cross it will fix my issue. I will let you know!
Did you get your stove running?

Status
Not open for further replies.