Issues Gathering Wood?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
Has anybody else had issues gathering wood this year?
Typically I would have at least 75% cut/split and stacked by June, but this year I am lucky if I have am at 35%.

One thing I did notice on my trip to WI over July 4th, was people who normally have very impressive wood piles, didn't have very much. When I went again at the beginning of August I started to see wood piles again.

Been a very bad year, cold and snowy until June, then rain till July, then very hot and dry.
We finally had Spring weather at the beginning of August for 2 weeks before we entered the furnace.
Due to drought and where I gather wood, no cutting was allowed till we got some rain.

Thankfully, we got rain today so I can go back in the woods this week.
Needless to say I am way behind schedule... :(

I can't say I can agree with you there, I'm actually a little ahead than where I would normally be. As for others, I know the die hard hearth folks are right there with their wood supplies, it's a matter of purpose. CL ads for free wood has been spot on, word of mouth with wood has been about the same. I dunno....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
I have people stop at my house and want me to come get wood from their downed trees. Stacked wood is a great advertisement.;)

I do all my wood work during the winter - I hate running the saws in the summer and dealing with bugs in the woods. My theory is: no matter how cold it is you can always put on more clothes but you can only take so much off when it's hot!

I also like working on frozen ground because most of my cutting is in low areas that get swamped out by spring.

I'm behind but I have been lazy! I need to get going!

I try to stay ahead one full year now. As soon as I move this season's wood under the covered porch, I will begin cutting for the 2014/2015 season. I can't seem to get ahead by two years. But one full year after split and stacked is plenty of seasoning for the wood I burn. White Ash and White Pine.

Once you make that initial push and get ahead a year it is a big relief. Then you are all set. Some day I may get two years ahead. Maybe.

Reactions: ScotO
Just getting close to 3 full years worth - hope to get ahead a bit more by spring.Then I can slow down to 3-4 cords a year. My neighbor is back on her feet so that will help.Cutting for 2 households was a bear, especially as a rookie.

This year i really pushed myself to get lots of wood. Ive scrounged about 4 cords so far . Got 2 chestnut oaks to get and a dead poplar. 3 Maples on my own property should put me out 2-3 years ahead.

I've had a very bountiful year this year, as since my name has gotten out in the tree removal world, I've gotten really busy...
I'm sitting on 4 years worth right now, still have lots of trees to cut this fall and winter. Four big honey locusts, several red oaks, lots and lots of pine......that's just a short list. That's not mentioning what I've cut already this summer (between my buddy and I, we've cut in the vicintity of 25-30 cord, some of which we left for clients). Crazy busy......

I do all my wood work during the winter - I hate running the saws in the summer and dealing with bugs in the woods. My theory is: no matter how cold it is you can always put on more clothes but you can only take so much off when it's hot!

Absolutely, anything over 50F is too hot for splitting wood. Working hard at 32F needs only a T-shirt, hat and gloves.

TE

I been working with 90F around here. One day I cut it was 95.

I been working with 90F around here. One day I cut it was 95.
I split about a cord in the 95* heat today. I am working on getting more than a full year ahead by winter, but will probably get closer to two years ahead if all goes well. I have been finding little shortage of firewood this year.

No issues here, I'm between 4-5 years ahead now (Just under 17 cord once again).Havent cut very much since April.Only about 4 pickup loads.Spent more of my free time milling a few logs,building a bench & other stuff.Just chillin' on my days off.
Like feeding my CAD for example.;) Grabbed another Ebay bargain tonight - a 1957-59 Mac Model 35 in good shape all round,just needs some minor work.I'll pay for it on Friday,it should arrive in about a week after that.

Once its over 90 degrees I stay outta the woods.On those days I start early & quit by noon.

Absolutely, anything over 50F is too hot for splitting wood. Working hard at 32F needs only a T-shirt, hat and gloves.

TE

+1, Thats when I like to work. I think frozen wood splits easier, might be just not sweating bullets makes it seem easier. I get a load of logs every two or three years that keeps me in front along with small acquisitions that roll into my yard so wood gathering is not an annual thing.

i had trouble getting as much as i'd like due to so much rain in my area. i work 12 hour shifts, and days i've had off through the spring and summer have been mostly rainy. it's still 90 plus most days, but i don't mind that as much as rain. i had as much rain through the end of july as i normally get in a year.

Just getting close to 3 full years worth - hope to get ahead a bit more by spring.Then I can slow down to 3-4 cords a year. My neighbor is back on her feet so that will help.Cutting for 2 households was a bear, especially as a rookie.

That was real good of you osagebow. To cut for your neighbor in their time of need. No matter what the arrangement. You da man.

I live in a suburban neighborhood that is dense with homes so the yards are not that big; average .25-.33 acre lots. I'm fortunate that I have .5 acre with a little area perfect for stacking wood covered by trees so nobody complains about pallets of stacked wood. That said, VERY FEW people in my area burn wood; other than the occasional recreational fire. Most stick to gas or oil for heat.

That said when people have tree work done around here most want it hauled away. So it's very easy to make arrangements with local tree guys to have wood dropped off at your house (just had a sugar maple dropped off Friday). They told me they took 10 loads of oak to the dump the day before...ouch! They told me they'd bring me maple or oak wood each week or month, whatever I can handle.

So, for me I'm only limited by the time I can put in!

I too am behind. havent scrounged much at all this year. had a very wet spring/early summer, followed by a hot humid and buggy summer. Just as of recently the bugs have gone away and its gotten cool enough to get out and do some work. I was able to scrounge almost a cord from a coworker and I maybe another cord off the woods on my property.

Craigslist scores have been very hard to come by lately around here. I missed out on a 3-4 cord of oak log length on my own street this spring. still mad about that one!

I cut and split firewood to stay in good shape. I love being out there sweating. The chainsaw throws those chips up at you
and they stick all over you. It doesn't get much better. What? Who said I'm crazy?:rolleyes:

I cut and split firewood to stay in good shape. I love being out there sweating. The chainsaw throws those chips up at you
and they stick all over you. It doesn't get much better. What? Who said I'm crazy?:rolleyes:
I liked it because I do the same thing. Although I am in no sort of shape.

Reactions: Woody Stover
I am several years ahead and try to work the wood in the cooler months. My area hasn't had any bad storms for two or three years so the tree trimmers have been kind of slow. I did get a big score back in July during hot weather and I have been able to cut and split by hand okay up to low 80's if the humidity is low. I think jogging several days a week every week all year long has helped me work wood in the heat. I think it is how bad you are motivated to get er done too ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.