Istalling a Jotul F400

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyn

Feb 6, 2009
Hi there, Brand new to the forum. We live in New Zealand and wish to put a wood burner in before winter.
The house has had a wall mounted fire in previously which the prior owner's removed. They have covered up the wall and removed the brick fire surround. The concrete heath is still there, as is the chimney and stainless flue coming out of the roof.
Unfortunately I did not see what the old fireplace looked like. It all looks in good shape from what I can see in the attic.

I have seen a nice second hand Jotul F400 for sale locally with a rear exit and wondered if it would be possible to utilise the old chimney. The fire comes complete with all flues etc. If it may be possible what is the best approach to take? I thought of opening up the wall again and getting an installer to have a look. However in this country they mostly want to sell you a new fire and only then do the installation. I am quite good on the DIY side and would be keen to do it myself.

Any advice most welcome.

You may be able to use the old chimney but chances are it will need to be relined. Fireplace chimneys (metal ones) are generally rated to 1700 f. degrees and the Jotul will need a liner rated to 2100 degrees f. I'm sure others will be along to offer more specific advice.

Welcome Glyn. The flue collar on the F400 is reversible. It can be turned to point straight up which will eliminate an elbow and will let the stove sit back a little further on the hearth. Have the existing flue pipe carefully examined by a certified chimneysweep with a good local reputation. If he approves and says it's good to go, ask him if he can determine the manufacturer of the pipe. If possible, you'll want to stick with that manufacturer's brand pipe to connect the stove. The sweep may also be able to complete the installation for you or recommend a qualified installer.

I wouldn't open up the wall quite yet. The F400 has fairly good clearances if a rear heat shield is on the stove and double wall connector pipe is used. Does the used stove have the heat shield already on it? If not, one can be purchased. The best thing to do is to download the stove manual from Jotul's website and get familiar with its installation and clearance requirements. It's a very nice stove and if the condition of the used stove is good and the price is right, it should serve you well. You can post pictures of the stove here if you want to get more eyes examining it. Look at the inside as closely as you look at the outside. Especially look at the grate and inner burn plates for cracking or warping.

Status
Not open for further replies.