It aint just for ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westkywood

Feeling the Heat
Oct 14, 2009
Kentucky
I've covered my flue with hardware cloth in the past to keep birds out. This year, I decided to go the simple route and just put my ash bucket over it. It'll keep out the birds and the summer rains. I drilled two small holes in the bottom lip of the bucket so water will drain out so it doesn't rust ( doesn't go through the bucket itself. )
I placed a note on my stove that says "bucket" so I don't forget to remove it next season.
Besides, what says classy more than a bucket over your flue?

Attachments

• bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 79
Love the idea! You MAY want to look into securing it somehow, though. We've already had some UNBELIEVEABLE winds come through here this past month already, that would probably have flung that bucket off of the chimney. You wouldn't want that landing on one of your kids' heads.......

Maybe wrap a bungee cord tightly around the flue (or under your roof braces on the pipe) and hook it to the bail handle tabs or handle itself? Just an idea.....

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Love the idea! You MAY want to look into securing it somehow, though. We've already had some UNBELIEVEABLE winds come through here this past month already, that would probably have flung that bucket off of the chimney. You wouldn't want that landing on one of your kids' heads.......

Maybe wrap a bungee cord tightly around the flue (or under your roof braces on the pipe) and hook it to the bail handle tabs or handle itself? Just an idea.....

The bucket actually fits tight. The sides of the cap pushes against the bucket. I don't think it'll budge even in the strongest of wind. But if it does, I promise I'll man up and post pics. :)

Reactions: ScotO
We see several with OWB doing that during the summer months. What the heck, we used to put a tin can on the exhaust of the old John Deere tractors when we left them outdoors overnight. Well, not just the JD, but all tractors.

Status
Not open for further replies.