It ain't over til it's over, and over and over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Battenkiller

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2009
Just Outside the Blue Line
OK... It's over.

Went to bed last night and loaded 3 huge rounds of wet hickory on the coals, then shut her down for the last time of the season. As I hoped, there was a massive bed of coals on the bottom this morning. I scooped these up into my coal hod and dumped them into my smoker-grill. Got a nice rack of ribs going out there while I clean up the yard and slug down a Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Ale... or six. Spring is here, trout season opens today, I have my workshop back again for the season, buds are on the trees, daffodils are sprouting up, the grass is greening up, temps will hit 80ºF on Saturday, Lady BK is on vacation starting tomorrow.

Life is good... 'cept for all the dog chit everywhere.

Cheers, folks.

I was over last Monday night....no more dry wood till fall.

The azeleas and dogwoods are blooming, the grass is turning green, I have 5 cords split and stacked and the REDFISH are ready to attack my lure! Yesterday was the first decent day for flats fishing with the wind finally below 20kts but I have a couple of busy days at work before I can go. Days in the 80's, nights in upper 40's....summer starts in about a week :shut:

I burnt a little fire last night to take the edge off. I might run one more tonight. Looking at the 10 day forecast, this could be it for the year. I have been burning a bunch of pine I accumulated from the wind storms and I mix in small pieces of sugar maple. The Castine is a nice stove in that it'll run at a moderate pace without blowing you out of the room during shoulder season.

I ended up with just shy of a full cord left over for next year. I need to call my wood guy and order up a couple more though and get it stacked and drying now.

There's still a chance of a fire or to is left in the season.

But, yeah, this weekend is looking pretty good.

Started a fire yesterday afternoon, fed it around 9pm. Started up again from the coals this morning. We aren't done with spring until June usually, but hopefully no more fires after April unless for ambiance. I think April 30th is our last frost date.

We are doing a weird high seventies, low eighties streak in the daytime with the nights in the low forties. Wake up cold and sweat like a pig working outside in the daytime. The high temps are running about the same over average as they did under average since November.

Screwy weather to try to heat the joint. Letting the heaters run at night and supporting the local electric coop. Otherwise it would be go to bed in a sauna.

Of course I know that it would be no problem with a cat stove. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
We are doing a weird high seventies, low eighties streak in the daytime with the nights in the low forties. Wake up cold and sweat like a pig working outside in the daytime. The high temps are running about the same over average as they did under average since November.

Screwy weather to try to heat the joint. Letting the heaters run at night and supporting the local electric coop. Otherwise it would be go to bed in a sauna.

Of course I know that it would be no problem with a cat stove. :lol:

A cat stove is too complicated with it's two levers. Hell, I'm switching to a Mac so I can get away from the two button Windows mouse. That second button baffles me and takes up too much time.

Not over yet 70s yesterday high winds. This morning 2 inches of snow tonight lows + 25. Just brought my plant seedings in to the house tonight. Go back outside to turn the heater on in the cold frame, for the others. All next week cold and snow. Maybe after this is over it will stay warm I hope. This weather is rediculas. The only thing I see growing is the weeds. Tree are in bud. Lawn brown still.

BrotherBart you kill me.

Same weather as yours here. Might sneak in a few more fires I'm sure. Just the way it is in the mountains.

REF1 said:
BrotherBart you kill me.

Same weather as yours here. Might sneak in a few more fires I'm sure. Just the way it is in the mountains.

You are gonna burn that new Elm if it is 100 outside just to see it do its thing. Like I was testing the new liners in August.

Anytime I add something my wife always says "Well, it is about to get hot in this house.".

Great weather but were not out of the woods yet here. Usually another cold snap and maybe a snow shower.

BrowningBAR said:
A cat stove is too complicated with it's two levers. Hell, I'm switching to a Mac so I can get away from the two button Windows mouse. That second button baffles me and takes up too much time.

That right there is funny!!

ya im down to fire here and there but still going, but was one of the best burning yrs ever heavy snow and good cild temps.

My records indicate I have burned an average of 10 times to kill the chill in April & May combined. So , I have wood at the ready if history repeats itself.

There is no way I'm finished burning. i'm guessing I got at least two dozen fires to go. I love fire heat on chilly eves.

Me neither. I have both sliders open, the grill fired up with some steak tips, frozen chocolate martini's (Trader Vic's) on tap, shorts on, stereo on 11 w/ some Beyonce remix crap, and the Jotul raging at 650 right now. Neighbors probably think we are weird (they got that one right), but life is good. The dog hasn't left yet. Oh wait, she just shot off the deck to chase two coyote-wolf hybrids (no joke, they are real) out of the yard. Good girl.

Of course we'll still need more fires. This is still April. The past several days gave us a hint of summer, but there is a long way to go before summer is here.

Battenkiller said:

Cheers, folks.

I must feed old poochy too much; she has made a perfect grid 1' x 1' through out the whole yard, there’s poop every where!

70marlin said:
Battenkiller said:

Cheers, folks.

I must feed old poochy too much; she has made a perfect grid 1' x 1' through out the whole yard, there’s poop every where!

My dog is on a 'digestible low fat diet' for health reasons. The cons of this is that it is expensive food. The pros are that he only craps once every other day (rarely do I see him go two days in a row). It's almost worth the added expense.

If it wasn't for poop scooping and splitting wood the wife wouldn't have any thing to nag me about!

70marlin said:

When I first got married over 30 years ago, I was working on a Thoroughbred breeding farm. The owners had a big Newfie named Huggie Bear. In the spring, it looked like we had a bum living somewhere on the property. Big man-sized land mines everywhere in the melting snow. Very obscene. :sick: Folks who boarded their horses there would get out of their cars and gaze at them until it sunk in what they were. I lived on the farm and started to get nervous that I might get blamed for the mess. :red:

Woke up this morning and it was already 61º outside. It's taken three days for the basement and chimney to cool off. It got almost up to 80º inside with all that stored heat and the sunlight coming into the house. Had a passing thought about popping the air conditioners into the windows.

We're getting our fire fix by burning in the new chiminea. Now we can actually see what the fire looks like, and between the BBQ grill and the chiminea, we finally get to smell that hickory and cherry we've been burning all winter. Hmmm-mmn good. ;-)

Still burning wood . . . it's either that or oil . . . but lately only one or two fires . . . to warm things up in the morning or evening.

39 this morning so I started a fire. This cool spell will be taking over the midwest soon. Looks like by the end of the week there will be lots of northern stoves waking up.

70marlin said:
If it wasn't for poop scooping and splitting wood the wife wouldn't have any thing to nag me about!

Poop scooping and wood processing makes up most of my winter outdoor activity. First thing I think about when I look at a dog is how big a pile they are gonna leave...you would think someone would have invented a dog that doesnt crap by now

Got Wood said:
70marlin said:

Poop scooping and wood processing makes up most of my winter outdoor activity. First thing I think about when I look at a dog is how big a pile they are gonna leave...you would think someone would have invented a dog that doesnt crap by now

They did.

Attachments

• ers7lrg.jpg
    ers7lrg.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 373
Status
Not open for further replies.