It ain't over til it's over, and over and over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, the furnace is already shut down for the year, but I had the stove running all day today. I actually really like burning on days like this. I can run the stove real easy and just throw a split in every now and then. The Castine is the perfect size for heating my upstairs living room to 70 degrees. It seems very efficient compared to running the furnace and heating every square inch of the whole house.

cycloxer said:
It seems very efficient compared to running the furnace and heating every square inch of the whole house.

Zone heating. What a concept.

Been burning a couple days a week when its cold. She's keepin the house toasty right now!

Spring has sprung. The grass is turning green. Most of the Winter birds have left. The Robins, Flickers, and Flycatchers are back. The wife knocked down the old Flycatcher nests in the woodshed so they would have room to build new ones. I have to stay away from the woodshed now so as not to disturb them.

No more wood heat. Been running the NG furnace every day for a month now. The dog found all of her sticks that she lost in the snow. As for landmines, I trained her to go in the bush.

It's been too warm here this week for burning. We've been on the HP and out gardening a lot. Had some windows open yesterday, which is a nice treat. Most of the trees have their leaves out or at least have started. Irises are starting to bloom. It's mowing season for sure.

LLigetfa said:
As for landmines, I trained her to go in the bush.

I used to have my setter trained to go in a specific corner of the yard where no one walks. She's old now and suffers from doggie Alzheimer's. Seriously, dogs can get it and mine has it big time. She runs all over now, hunched up and dropping small turds as she goes. Then I let her in and she wants to go out 2 minutes later, and can't figure out why she doesn't have to crap anymore. Funny, but very aggravating to us, heartbreaking as well. Not the same girl we remember from just two years ago. No fun at all, and nuttier than my MIL was in her last years.

i lit my first fire in weeks about an hour ago....lows down into the mid 30s tonight. im ok with it, i wasnt ready to pack it in yet lol.

Yeah I am about to light'er off. Fifty outside and 70 in the house but headed to the low thirties tonight so by the time the stove warms up it will be matching the drop in house temp.

Kept the place in the seventies and slept under a sheet all winter, why not tonight?

Still burning here . . . although this past weekend I had a couple days when I was using the dinosaur burner to keep the place warm since I was doing some painting around the stove and figured having a hot stove within 2 inches of me might not be a good idea. I must admit . . . I fired up the stove as soon as painting was done since I hated to burn the oil.

As much as I find it hard to believe I am still burning too...

Last night I didn't plan on a fire, but as I was winding down for the day my wife actually said something along the lines of "you going to light a fire tonight?" and I was like "you want me to?" and she actually did... I think it has grown on her :) heh... anyway, so another half dozen splits turned to dust and the house was quite toasty this morning. Next couple days are going to be great days - sunny and in just about 70 for the highs, then we're back to low 60's for highs and lows in the upper 30's so I won't be doing any final cleaning job on the stove quite yet.

In the fall I couldn't wait to burn each time and was itching to light fires. I figured I might be tired of it now, but I'm not. I actually am just at that totally neutral point I suppose - I enjoy the fire, and don't mind lighting them a bit. It only takes a couple minutes to toss the splits in there and drop a SC in the middle to get them going and so forth so it's not a big deal. I do think it is rather funny that my wife actually wanted a fire last night though - it wasn't even all that cold, she just wanted to enjoy looking at it for a while.

Im starting to get the feeling I will be burning year round. our main living room is in the basement where the stove is, and unless its 80+ out the basement hovers around 60 or lower, and now that the fiance is used to having it toasty warm with the stove, she is forever asking me to light a fire. wont be surprised to light her up in mid august!

Which one are you lighting up in August, stove or fiance???????????????

ColdNH said:
Im starting to get the feeling I will be burning year round. our main living room is in the basement where the stove is, and unless its 80+ out the basement hovers around 60 or lower, and now that the fiance is used to having it toasty warm with the stove, she is forever asking me to light a fire. wont be surprised to light her up in mid august!

I really think we tend to get accustomed to those warmer temps and those mesmerizing flames . . . it's a process to get weaned from the addiction.

And for the record . . . I didn't burn any in August . . . but last year I did have a fire going around the 4th of July . . . of course it was unusually cold and wet up this a way last Summer.

I'm pretty much done. The Isle Royale has been moved from the old house to the new house but isn't
hooked up for burning yet. The new Quad insert is installed and ready to go. As soon as I can
get to it (wood floors are getting finished this week), I'll probably do a couple of break-in burns.

Just started a small take the chill off fire, it's getting a little cool in the basement. Aint summer yet.

I have a heater running. Kinda refusing to start a fire when it is 54 outside but I was warmer all winter than I am now. As to the fellow with the living room in the basement, when I had my office in the basement I was burning well into June.

Still burning each night to take the chill out of the basement.

Still burning here, it looks like Mid week I may get a break. With 70* daytime highs and only 50* nighttime lows predicted, the house should carry that temp fine through the night. I'm not going to be colder in the spring then I was in the middle of winter so I'll continue to have small fires as needed.

rdust said:
Still burning here, it looks like Mid week I may get a break. With 70* daytime highs and only 50* nighttime lows predicted, the house should carry that temp fine through the night. I'm not going to be colder in the spring then I was in the middle of winter so I'll continue to have small fires as needed.

I burned most of yesterday. I was working in the back of the property for any hour or so and came back in to find the stove creeped up to 700 degrees. The room was about 90.

90 when it is 48 degrees outside feels a lot hotter than 90 when it is 20 degrees outside.

Well I was willing to bet it was over but the wife started the fire an hour ago. I was comfortable wearing pajamas around the house...back to shorts.

hAD TO LIGHT A FIRE HERE TONIGHT ALSO. SCHOHARIE ISN'T LIKE FLORIDA. THEY'RE TALKING SOME MAJOR SNOW IN THE ADIRONDACKS. HOPE "NORTH OF THE BLUE LINE" DOESN'T GET TOO MUCH. BETTER BE OVER SOON ,IT'S ALMOST MAY.

Funny how it's so different for everybody depending on location, installation and personal preferences.

All winter long my basement is too hot to work in comfortably, too dry for the musical instruments I work on, and too crowded because of the space I need for stove clearance and wood storage. Then along comes spring and, first chance I get, I stop burning. I remove the remaining wood, and power tools and such get rolled back into positions nearer to the stove. Humidity levels rise to normal and the workshop cools off. Then about now it starts to get cold down there and humidity levels rise too high, and the dehumidifier comes out. This starts to warm the basement again. Then it gets too warm and I am using the AC down there. July and August bring the highest electric bills of the year, in a house whose only other heat source is the electric basebords... which I only use during shoulder season.

Next year I'm seriously considering getting a small EPA stove like the Jotul F100 or maybe the F3 for the upstairs fireplace. Burning down in the basement is out of the question for me right now, but it'd be real nice to take the chill off the air without smelling the dust and pet hair burning off the baseboard heaters and thinking about a spinning electric meter putting me in the poor house.

If I owned the place, it'd be a no-brainer, but we've been living here without a raise in rent for almost 20 years. We never intended to stay here very long, just until we both finished school, but the years kept adding up. Now that the kids are gone, we love the little place. With the current astronomical housing prices, we can't afford to own at this point in time. Mortgage and property taxes would be twice what we pay in rent, and we'd never live long enough to get it paid off.

The landlord isn't on board with me pulling the damper out of the fireplace and installing a liner without assuring him that the stove stays if I leave. Still, with the great price reductions at the end of the season, plus the 30% tax credit, it just might be worth it. The landlord is very old-fashioned and doesn't believe in maximizing his profit on the place. He's been very good to us over the years, so I may consider just giving him the stove and installation. Who knows, we may live here until we die anyway.

Battenkiller said:
Funny how it's so different for everybody depending on location, installation and personal preferences.

All winter long my basement is too hot to work in comfortably, too dry for the musical instruments I work on, and too crowded because of the space I need for stove clearance and wood storage. Then along comes spring and, first chance I get, I stop burning. I remove the remaining wood, and power tools and such get rolled back into positions nearer to the stove. Humidity levels rise to normal and the workshop cools off. Then about now it starts to get cold down there and humidity levels rise too high, and the dehumidifier comes out. This starts to warm the basement again. Then it gets too warm and I am using the AC down there. July and August bring the highest electric bills of the year, in a house whose only other heat source is the electric basebords... which I only use during shoulder season.

Next year I'm seriously considering getting a small EPA stove like the Jotul F100 or maybe the F3 for the upstairs fireplace. Burning down in the basement is out of the question for me right now, but it'd be real nice to take the chill off the air without smelling the dust and pet hair burning off the baseboard heaters and thinking about a spinning electric meter putting me in the poor house.

If I owned the place, it'd be a no-brainer, but we've been living here without a raise in rent for almost 20 years. We never intended to stay here very long, just until we both finished school, but the years kept adding up. Now that the kids are gone, we love the little place. With the current astronomical housing prices, we can't afford to own at this point in time. Mortgage and property taxes would be twice what we pay in rent, and we'd never live long enough to get it paid off.

The landlord isn't on board with me pulling the damper out of the fireplace and installing a liner without assuring him that the stove stays if I leave. Still, with the great price reductions at the end of the season, plus the 30% tax credit, it just might be worth it. The landlord is very old-fashioned and doesn't believe in maximizing his profit on the place. He's been very good to us over the years, so I may consider just giving him the stove and installation. Who knows, we may live here until we die anyway.

20 years without a raise in rent? Jesus, buy the stove and install it as a gift. It will only help out your heating and it sure doesn't seem like you are moving anytime soon.

There's a winter storm warning on for the northern Adirondacks, Green and White Mountains. It has snowed steadily all day at my
house, but it is cold air aloft and is just above freezing at ground level, at least at my locale. higher elevations could get up to 14 inches by late
Wed.

Fired up the Fisher, early this afternoon, burning up the pine and cedar. Toasty. Here's what it looked like at 4pm

Attachments

• late snow 005.jpg
    late snow 005.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 562
  • late snow 003.jpg
    late snow 003.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Blue-Mountain-Lake---April-.jpg
    Blue-Mountain-Lake---April-.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 495
After a few really nice days here, today's been cold, rainy & windy. Tonight the temps are gonna plummet, and we'll likely see a bit of snow overnight & into tomorrow. Pretty sucky. I mowed my lawn in shorts & T-shirt on Sunday, and Tuesday night it's gonna snow. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.