It feels good not to have to worry about buying propane this year

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg123

Jul 21, 2006
WNY
I just got my pre-buy offer from my propane supplier for the 2009/2010 Heating season. It came in at $1.79gal, granted much cheaper than the $2.49gal I paid last year. I used 890gal last year keeping the house at 65 and wearing sweaters all day and night. This year my wood stove is installed and I have 5 cords waiting to go that I got for free. It felt really good throwing that pre-buy letter in my wood stove during my break-in fire. I'm hoping to achieve shorts and short sleeve shirts this winter.

I am in the same boat as you only I have to budget some propane because my hot water and cooking run on propane. i did 500 gallons last year and the propain man told me it would be to little, was plenty. Well, would have been if I didn't run outta wood. This year I will NOT run out.

Congrats Greg. Be advised, unless you own the tank, another letter will come when you don't meet their consumption expectations.

I don't own the propane tank so I guess I will get the consumption letter. I'm going to wait one winter and see how it goes, I would like to get rid of the big 500gal tank and get something smaller.

I still use propane for hot water and stove in the kitchen. but I think 150gal year would be plenty. They will only allow you to pre-buy if you order 600gal or more.

We go through about 3 grill tanks a month for hot water and cooking. A friend of mine bought a setup from TSC that will automatically switch over to a second tank when one empties.

SolarAndWood said:
We go through about 3 grill tanks a month for hot water and cooking. A friend of mine bought a setup from TSC that will automatically switch over to a second tank when one empties.

How many approx. gal are in a grill tank?. How many people do you have living in the house. We have 2 adults and 2 kids and if I could get away with only 3 grill tanks that would be great.

Standard is 5 gallons which is 20 lbs. The RV tanks are 7.5 gallons and called a 30# tank. Both are easily carried in one hand when full. There are larger tanks available that aren't nearly as common but are still portable by hand cart or brute force.

Greg123 said:
SolarAndWood said:

How many approx. gal are in a grill tank?. How many people do you have living in the house. We have 2 adults and 2 kids and if I could get away with only 3 grill tanks that would be great.

2+2 as well although my wife does a lot of cooking/canning so my usage may be high compared to yours. We use the standard tanks Highbeam referred to as they easily fit in the trunk of the car without laying them down. They are also light enough that my wife will deal with them if necessary.

I picked up a 100lb tank from TSC last year for ~$100. It's easy to move with a dolly. You can move it around without a dolly but I really suggest a dolly.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.