It feels good to get ahead

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
Wednesday, we made it up to VT in under 2 hours. Normally, that's not a big deal, but the night before Thanksgiving, it surprised us. Going up our road, I was behind the wood guy! He agreed to make an evening delivery. He dumped a bit over a cord from what I could tell. There's a good amount of white birch in there.

We skied every day this long weekend, with the exception of Friday. I stacked the wood and my wife put up the Christmas stuff. I gotta say, using the quad and the trailer is way easier than the wheel barrow! I'll get it tarped before the snow flies...which will be any day now.

Right now, I'm buring ash which was cut and split last year. I can't even describe how much easier it is to burn seasoned wood. Last year, I was burning wood which was delivered in August...not fun...lots of effort to run the stove.

I've also been burning some pine in the morning...and in the evening when we get back from the mountain. It's a great way to save the hardwood for the overnight burns. I can toss in some pine splits and the stove will hang out around 400F (or so). Great for taking the chill off when it's not sub zero outside.

Where are you and how is the skiing? I didn't think there was skiing so early in the season.

Our weekend place is in Southern VT. We ski at Mount Snow and they opened Thanksgiving day. There's not much natural stuff, but the temps have been cold enough to make snow. They had a bunch of top to bottom runs open.

Skier, it sounds like you had a great weekend. I agree that moving the wood with quad and trailer is the way to go. And now you are spoiled forever since you now know how good wood will burn when it is seasoned.

Thanks Dennis. It's a great difference from last year. Another nice bonus is being able to back the air control all the way down. Despite being away from the stove for hours at a time, I'm able to relight from coals. Which is always quicker than starting from scratch.

Skier76 said:
Wednesday, we made it up to VT in under 2 hours. Normally, that's not a big deal, but the night before Thanksgiving, it surprised us. Going up our road, I was behind the wood guy! He agreed to make an evening delivery. He dumped a bit over a cord from what I could tell. There's a good amount of white birch in there.

We skied every day this long weekend, with the exception of Friday. I stacked the wood and my wife put up the Christmas stuff. I gotta say, using the quad and the trailer is way easier than the wheel barrow! I'll get it tarped before the snow flies...which will be any day now.

Right now, I'm buring ash which was cut and split last year. I can't even describe how much easier it is to burn seasoned wood. Last year, I was burning wood which was delivered in August...not fun...lots of effort to run the stove.

I've also been burning some pine in the morning...and in the evening when we get back from the mountain. It's a great way to save the hardwood for the overnight burns. I can toss in some pine splits and the stove will hang out around 400F (or so). Great for taking the chill off when it's not sub zero outside.

Good deal Skier76, we feel about the same way. What I like the most this year is being able to fill the stove up north/south then get the temps where you want them then kick back for a while.

zap

Skier, I was in the same neck of the woods as you this past weekend as well. Was going to ski on Friday, but the ice put a damper on things at the summit of Mount Snow. I made it to Mount Snow sunday, not a bad day for this time of the year. Did some trail maintenance on saturday at crosstown.

KC

Zap,
It's great to be able to get the lower level of our place up to a nice balmy 75+. :lol:

KC,
We skipped out on Friday due to the rain. But a buddy of mine said things weren't too bad. They did have to de-ice a few lifts in the AM. I still had fun stacking wood. Irony: Once I finished stacking, the rain stopped and the sun came out. LOL!

Oh cool! They're doing some nice work on that trail. It looks like they should have the decking on that bridge done soon.

Have you had a chance to check out the new business up there? Last Chair is a great place to eat; we went there the weekend before Thanksgiving. Joe's looks nice; we stopped in to grab a menu on Saturday. FirstTraxx is a neat shop. Our friends did seasonal rentals there for their kids.

Status
Not open for further replies.