It has been a outstanding week for firewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundgunner

Feeling the Heat
Nov 26, 2013
Rural CT
I helped a tree service guy cut 5 big ash trees about 3 miles from my house. A couple of them were over the house.
IMAG0826_zpskpqkbsf5.jpg
IMAG0827_zpseqokzrbj.jpg
IMAG0830_zpsnb4se2a3.jpg
IMAG0829_zpscmng0h8s.jpg
IMAG0831_zpsdhuorrdi.jpg

Got them all down and bucked to 2 foot, and ended up with 5 truckloads of just ash. We also dropped a hickory and maple that were in the way. They were a truck load too.

IMAG0833_zpsluumhdke.jpg

Yesterday and today I loaded and hauled 8 loads of mixed hardwoods that were cut and left log length three years ago. The man asked me to take them away and let me use his Kubota to load them too. It is the first time I used one with a hydraulic thumb, mine has a fixed thumb.

IMAG0835_zpsmfg4qtpt.jpg
IMAG0834_zpssodkmipu.jpg

It was very nice and strong too. I shared the wood from today with 2 of my friends. I think it will be dry for fall if I can get it split and stacked soon.

Very nice & I am a little jealous!
Great score there.

That is a nice haul, wish I had a tree surgeon to help.........

He hires laborers, they feed the chipper. He climbs the trees, I buck and haul. When I can help him save by not needing the other help he likes it even more! Calls me a lot. I'm running out of room for drying racks. He also calls me for tree planting, I have the backhoe/frontend loader.

IMAG0017_zpstoddqveo.jpg

See if you can find a climber to help out, If they don't have to pay a ground guy to buck and remove it is a win-win.

Wow you're really going gangbusters there, great score!!!

Yeah, I need to get it split and stacked now. I have been busy, I have 35 cord CSS, 20 of them are dry and ready. The rest is 1-2 summer CSS oak. With the 7-10 cord on the ground right now I'm going to be burning dry wood for good.

I have a big gasser boiler heating 3 houses so I do go thru wood, last year was 14 cord but it was not the best dry stuff. I plan on 10 cord a year for a normal year. It also heats our DHW for 2 of the houses.

Status
Not open for further replies.