It is time to speak your mind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Hearth.com'er,

I am the sales administrator for New England Wood Pellet, LLC, and proud to be a new member of this forum. In case you haven't heard we do a free ton drawing every month for those who take the time to fill out our Win'A'Ton survey on our website. In recent months we have noticed that the majority of those who are filling out the survey are existing customers. We have been trying to come up with a way get the opinions of more non-NEWP customers so we can better understand what we need to improve on, or what we are doing well. This forum has become a very important piece of the wood pellet puzzle and we believe that your opinions are very important. We would love for you to take our Win'A'Ton survey and share your opinions with us directly. Thank you in advance for any takers.

http://www.pelletheat.com/survey.html

Sincerely,
Amanda Brosseau
Sales Administrator
New England Wood Pellet, LLC.
[email protected]

ufff, for a moment I thought the poster was talking about the NEWP LLC fiasco dealer here in CT......then Ire-read the post and checked the posted link.....

Took the survey, I'd take a free ton, but can't seem to buy 'em around here. What I hear, they're too good for me, anyhow.

Amanda, welcome to the forum. I'm sure that you'll get some feedback from the members who've burned your product (including me). BTW, I've been filling out the Win A Ton form for a couple of years now, but never lucky enough to win (yet).

I burned 3 tons of NEWP 2 years ago, and while I thought the pellets were OK, they were not the hottest pellets I tried. I DID give them a try again this past year, in the form of the CleanFire pellets from Pellet Sales.com (they said you bagged your NEWP hardwood for them in CleanFire bags), but I was disappointed. On a scale of 1 - 10, with 10 being great heat output, I'd rate them a 4.

Are they all hardwood, or a blend? I also found them to be very dusty.

Hope to see you on the forum often.

Pete

Oh, and BTW, any idea when the Deposit, NY plant will be in production, and also do you have any plans to increase the amount of dealers in the SE NY area? Thank You.

Welcome Amanda,

I will fill out the survey later(I really doubt I will win due to my following statements).

I have burned NEWP and found them to be just above average pellets(nothing special) with the NH being a bit better than the NY. But the NEWP price is usually on the higher side. Honestly Why would I pay more for a midrange pellet. When I always seem to find a Super premium for much less than your NEWP's.

If you want my opinion, You need to increase the pellet density(to improve overall heat output) and reduce the total ash percentage. Or just lower the cost to a midrange level.

Just my 2
jay

Amanda,
We purchased 3 tons of New England Wood Pellets from Western Maine Supply in Bethel last year.
They burned well and we had to clean the ash pan about every ton.
Very Good!
We went with Athens pellets for 2010-2011 as we were able to get them for $199/ton.
Yours came in at $249/ton at Western Maine Supply.
It was a decision based on price not quality. We did burn 2 bags of the "New" Athens and were pleased with
the changes they had made.

I just finished the survey!!

I haven't used them in the past but I plan on getting a ton for 10 - 11 season. I'm hoping they do better than the Maine pellets I used this past year, if so I'll be back for more next year.

Took the survey, would love to try them, cannt find them here in western NY.

I have burned NEWP years ago and more recently,... Way back when...late 90's - 2004(?) NEWP had a very good reputation and was one of the best pellets around.. they were the "lexus, mercedes" of the pellt industry ... however , it seems ever since then you prices are always higher, but the product isnt leaps and bounds from the competition like it used to be. From my experience with your product the last few years- they have burned about "average" when compared to other pellets, but your price is usually up around "premium prices" The pellet isnt the worst but trying to justify the difference in price, I simply cannot do..There are way to many pellets at more reasonable prices with the same quality to justify paying your price... One of your distribution centers is right here in Palmer, Mass ... so I would have thought pricing would have been more reasonable since its litterally down the street..

The Deposit, NY NEWP location is making good progress. You can see the new pellet production building from Route 17
The mill is expected to start production this fall, reaching full production in early 2011

The NEWP website has a dealer locator feature that lists retailers near your zip code.

iceman said:
I have burned NEWP years ago and more recently,... Way back when...late 90's - 2004(?) NEWP had a very good reputation and was one of the best pellets around.. they were the "lexus, mercedes" of the pellt industry ... however , it seems ever since then you prices are always higher, but the product isnt leaps and bounds from the competition like it used to be. From my experience with your product the last few years- they have burned about "average" when compared to other pellets, but your price is usually up around "premium prices" The pellet isnt the worst but trying to justify the difference in price, I simply cannot do..There are way to many pellets at more reasonable prices with the same quality to justify paying your price... One of your distribution centers is right here in Palmer, Mass ... so I would have thought pricing would have been more reasonable since its litterally down the street..

NEWP mothballed the Palmer facility about 18 months ago (correct me if Im wrong, Amanda)........besides, its worth paying a bit more for NEWP's, since both Amanda and Rita are hot! :)

I dont think NEWP's are the Lexus or Mercedes of the pellet world, they are cheaper than much of their competition from a dealer standpoint, and I also believe they are certainly above average in the pellet world

Thank you to everyone for your comments and for taking the Win A Ton survey on our website. As I expected you all have some great insight to offer and we truly appreciate anything you have to share. Please take full advantage of the comments section of the survey as well. We do take great interest in what people have to say.

In response to your comments and questions:

-The Deposit facility is on track for start up in the first quarter of 2011.

-We do seek new dealers; see our dealer application form on our website http://www.pelletheat.com/component/sfg/?formid=1. If you know a retailer that you might want to carry our product, we welcome suggestions.

-Our Chief Operating Officer Mark Wilson responded previously to this forum concerning testing data on pellets and pellet quality (see thread: Pellet House pellet search and review "Ultimate Pellet search" Post #71 ) Since then our internal and external test data for both our current manufacturing facilities have been well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets. If you have had reservations about our products we encourage you to try them again.

-The Palmer facility has been closed

Thanks again!!

Sincerely,
Amanda Brosseau
Sales Administrator
[email protected]

NEWP AB said:
.......our internal and external test data for both our current manufacturing facilities have been well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets.

Sincerely,
Amanda Brosseau
Sales Administrator
[email protected]

Amanda, instead of just making pellets that are "well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets", how about trying to make them even BETTER than the "guidelines"!!

I, for one, want a high quality pellet that gives out more heat and less ash, even if I have to pay a little more.

Also, could you respond to my question about the CleanFire pellets I mentioned in post # 3...do you bag the CleanFires for PelletSales.com at the Schuylerville plant, and if so, are they ALL hardwood, or a blend?

Thanks

jtakeman said:
Welcome Amanda,

I will fill out the survey later(I really doubt I will win due to my following statements).

I have burned NEWP and found them to be just above average pellets(nothing special) with the NH being a bit better than the NY. But the NEWP price is usually on the higher side. Honestly Why would I pay more for a midrange pellet. When I always seem to find a Super premium for much less than your NEWP's.

If you want my opinion, You need to increase the pellet density(to improve overall heat output) and reduce the total ash percentage. Or just lower the cost to a midrange level.

Just my 2
jay

Keeping it real baby!

Welcome Amanda. I hope that this is more than one post, with a sales hook to get email addresses. If you want to understand the customer, it takes a two-way dialogue.

NEWP AB said:
-Our Chief Operating Officer Mark Wilson responded previously to this forum concerning testing data on pellets and pellet quality (see thread: Pellet House pellet search and review "Ultimate Pellet search" Post #71 ) Since then our internal and external test data for both our current manufacturing facilities have been well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets. If you have had reservations about our products we encourage you to try them again.

Thanks again!!

Sincerely,
Amanda Brosseau
Sales Administrator
[email protected]

I can't get the NEWP'S down here in Georgia but I find the comment I highlighted typical for a business 'canned' answer. You tell everyone how wonderful your pellets are while just about everyone who answered you told you that they can buy better pellets for much less money. Telling those who have used your pellets and found them inferior that your pellets are Premium is rather arrogant. Maybe you should have a sit-down with Mark Wilson and do some soul searching or question your results compared to the competition.

out of all the pellets i have in my Signature. the newp burn the coolest. also they cost the most . if they were the cheapest or close to it maybe more people would buy them .

I burned the NEWP on my 1st season and thought they were the best (being a rookie....) but once I tried other brands I may never look back...

imacman said:
Also, could you respond to my question about the CleanFire pellets I mentioned in post # 3...do you bag the CleanFires for PelletSales.com at the Schuylerville plant, and if so, are they ALL hardwood, or a blend?

Thanks

Shhh! Trade secret! If we tell you we gotta killz you(JK). :)

Warm Fronts have been rumored as also a rebagged NEWP product. Possibly from the Schuylerville plant. I hope Amanda can shed some light on this one too!!

I had a bad experience with the Warm Fronts, I think those are the bad batch production of NEWP re-bagged so the NEWP reputation is not at risk.

BTW - do you guys still believe in drawings ? :) keep waiting.....lol

My all time favorite wood pellets to date are NEWP Green Supreme.
Burned them exclusively for a few years and would have continued if they were still available.
Many of my personal friends were also loyal to the brand.

Even though my stoves will burn anything I throw at them, I prefer to spend my $$ on quality
softwood pellets that burn clean and hot. Fortunately for me, a comparable replacement has finally
been found for next season. Unfortunately for NEWP, they are made by another manufacturer.

Adding a high quality softwood pellet back into your product line may give the former GS customers
a reason to come back to NEWP.

geek said:
I burned the NEWP on my 1st season and thought they were the best (being a rookie....) but once I tried other brands I may never look back...

Ditto!!

Amanda welcome to the forum, I hope you are thick skinned as no one here will hold back when asked for an opinion!

I too burned NEWP in my rookie year of pellet pigism, I thought NEWP's were "the $hit"!! however, I have since burned LG's, Energex, Okanagans and Somersets. Price per bag were equal to or less than what I paid for NEWP's and were FAR better (cleaner and hotter).

I would not hesitate to buy your pellets again, but the price would have to match the quality.... in my opinion just a bit higher than average.

Brian

imacman said:
NEWP AB said:
.......our internal and external test data for both our current manufacturing facilities have been well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets.

Sincerely,
Amanda Brosseau
Sales Administrator
[email protected]

Amanda, instead of just making pellets that are "well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets", how about trying to make them even BETTER than the "guidelines"!!

I, for one, want a high quality pellet that gives out more heat and less ash, even if I have to pay a little more.

Thanks

Exactly. Become a trend-setter. Make the rules others follow and not the other way around. PFI will put their stamp on just about anything, so stop hiding behind that.

tinkabranc said:
My all time favorite wood pellets to date are NEWP Green Supreme.
Burned them exclusively for a few years and would have continued if they were still available.

Adding a high quality softwood pellet back into your product line may give the former GS customers
a reason to come back to NEWP.

I agree with tink, The GS were a favorite of mine too! We don't have many softwoods to choose from in New England(maybe 5 total), so there is room for another!

Status
Not open for further replies.