It is time to speak your mind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smwilliamson said:
imacman said:
NEWP AB said:
.......our internal and external test data for both our current manufacturing facilities have been well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets.

Sincerely,
Amanda Brosseau
Sales Administrator
[email protected]

Amanda, instead of just making pellets that are "well within the PFI guidelines for premium grade pellets", how about trying to make them even BETTER than the "guidelines"!!

I, for one, want a high quality pellet that gives out more heat and less ash, even if I have to pay a little more.

Also, could you respond to my question about the CleanFire pellets I mentioned in post # 3...do you bag the CleanFires for PelletSales.com at the Schuylerville plant, and if so, are they ALL hardwood, or a blend?

Thanks

Exactly. Become a trend-setter. Make the rules others follow and not the other way around. PFI will put their stamp on just about anything, so stop hiding behind that.

Well, They could try. But IMO they would need to have a better control on incoming fiber. Very hard to make a great pellet with just good fiber. The new pellet front runners have a lock on where there fiber comes from(right from there own wood working equipment). They don't just except what ever fiber they can get. This issue is what may have backfired on NEWP and there quality. And they are not the only ones with this problem. Pretty sure Lignetics has the same issue with there Hardwood blend. Very well could be a few others too!

Again just my 2!

QUALITY of a product is huge.

I agree the quality of some of the more reputable brands have diminished drastically in recent years.
Not just with NEWP.

Used to be if I saw the PFI stamp I knew I would be getting a good pellet. Not anymore.
IMO that stamp is useless. I have burned some brands that did not have that stamp and
they burned better than some that are "certified".

tinkabranc said:
QUALITY of a product is huge.

I agree the quality of some of the more reputable brands have diminished drastically in recent years.
Not just with NEWP.

Used to be if I saw the PFI stamp I knew I would be getting a good pellet. Not anymore.
IMO that stamp is useless. I have burned some brands that did not have that stamp and
they burned better than some that are "certified".

PFI is in the process of a new standards program. Supposedly will match a pellet to a stove. I emailed for more info and got NADA for a reply. We shall see?

PFI needs work for sure, My test proved Inferno's did not hold standards(as far as ash anyway). Once the sample is passed there is no follow ups and PFI allows the Manufacture to self police there product. I will not get into the ones I tested that had out of spec long pellets(yes, more than PFI allowes)!

No biggie as I always test my own. I hate getting stuck with a ton of shoulder pellets. But you can bet your bucket, I will voice the bad ones I do find(if they like it or not)! I don't even bother looking for the PFI label anymore. Like tink, Some of the best I have burned DO NOT have a PFI label! Probably saving the PFI due's to better QA there own products.

We all seem to do a good job of weeding out what's the good stuff. Glad we all share with each other too!

tinkabranc said:
IMO that stamp is useless.......
I may be wrong on this ( Jay, maybe you can shed some light on this?), but do I remember correctly seeing the PFI stamp on the bags of Infernos? And what about on the bags of Appling County?

imacman said:
tinkabranc said:
IMO that stamp is useless.......
I may be wrong on this ( Jay, maybe you can shed some light on this?), but do I remember correctly seeing the PFI stamp on the bags of Infernos? And what about on the bags of Appling County?

Yes on the Inferno's and No on the ACP's.

In response to some of your questions:

a. We do bag some private label bagging for a couple resellers of wood pellets. It is our understanding that these resellers also have other manufacturers bag pellets for them under the same brand names.
b.Warm front is a second brand of New England Wood Pellet that we sell through a secondary sales channel It is not a re-bagged product.
c.Our pellets are a hardwood/softwood blend. We use approximately 20% softwood in the blend
d. Please call our customer service number for specific questions 877-981-WOOD

Werm said:
So much for drumming up new sales eh?
I thought the same thing :) and I don't even burn pellets

BTU said:
jtakeman said:
tinkabranc said:
My all time favorite wood pellets to date are NEWP Green Supreme.
Burned them exclusively for a few years and would have continued if they were still available.

Adding a high quality softwood pellet back into your product line may give the former GS customers
a reason to come back to NEWP.

I agree with tink, The GS were a favorite of mine too! We don't have many softwoods to choose from in New England(maybe 5 total), so there is room for another!

Easy there Mr. Jtakeman........I still can take more business, so no need to promote more competition...LOL.... Maybe you could start a rumor that Okies are the "new" GS....:)

You market 2 of the 5 softwoods I can get locally. If it wasn't for cheap prices on very good hardwoods my 2011 stash would have more of what you market. I did manage to put some in my stash and a pig is always looking for more. Besides, I have to save room for that ton of NEWP's I am gonna win! :) (HA)

Now if you could bring us a reasonably priced Douglas Fir. I bet more than just a few would be stuffing there stashes FULL. (I know I am just dreaming again)!

jtakeman said:
imacman said:

So Infernos are PFI certified, eh :gulp:

I rest my case on the usefulness of the PFI "Standards".

imacman said:
jtakeman said:
imacman said:

So Infernos are PFI certified, eh :gulp:

I rest my case on the usefulness of the PFI "Standards".

Ditto! Perfect example.

Hi amanda, Im sorry to say i purchased three tons of newp from the schuyler plant. I even did my homework and was hoping for a good burning pellet. End result, very very very low heat, lots of ash, would not ignite, still have a ton of them left because i purchased somersets which are 10 times better. I am told that the jaffrey plant is better, imo both plants should put out the same product. I will never buy newp again if if they are dollar a ton.

Well, she asked. :coolsmirk:

BrotherBart said:
Well, she asked. :coolsmirk:

The real question is, is she STILL reading these posts, or even the forum at all???

Amanda, if you're there, let us know....haven't heard a peep from you since June 10th.

Being a NEWP dealer I know that many people from NEWP read the forum. I have been cracking open and burning the new product we get from Schuyler and I have to say it is improving but still is not a super premium pellet. I think that if they can keep a low price and be ok with that they have a great product. The way I look at it is have a super premium pellet and sell it for more or have the premium pellet for a lower price. Price is a big deal for people. I know in NY you had some bad pellets last year and people remember that so now it will take a good price for them to try again. That is my thoughts.

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
(NEWP from Schuyler).....it is improving but still is not a top grade pellet. I think that if they can keep a low price and be ok with that they have a great product......

In this area, especially in nearby Ct., this won't be happening. As you said, the NEWP's are not a top tier pellet....just average at best. Why would anyone that knows anything about pellets buy the NEWP's at $240, when they can get the awesome Cubex at $235??? Not happening in my world.

What is the chance that the pellets from the new Deposit plant will be any better?

I read lots of posts requesting the company make the best pellets possible by using only the best raw materials.
I can`t imagine how a pellet producer would ever have anything like infinite control of or a consistant access or availability of the highest quality raw mat`l since the amount , type, and quality of the raw product will vary so much and swing from one area or supplier to another. I think we have to be realistic here , were not dealing with a uniform product or supply.
I would also think that like all businesses they have to balance quality vs cost.
I`ve burned maybe 5-6 different brands all with similar pricing and while none of em might have looked or burned exactly the same as the others I never saw a significant difference either. I simply try to buy a well regarded premium brand at the best price I can and be done with it. Actually I`ve never seen anything but premiums anyway.

Gio said:
I read lots of posts requesting the company make the best pellets possible by using only the best raw materials.
I can`t imagine how a pellet producer would ever have anything like infinite control of or a consistant access or availability of the highest quality raw mat`l since the amount , type, and quality of the raw product will vary so much and swing from one area or supplier to another. I think we have to be realistic here , were not dealing with a uniform product or supply.
I would also think that like all businesses they have to balance quality vs cost.
I`ve burned maybe 5-6 different brands all with similar pricing and while none of em might have looked or burned exactly the same as the others I never saw a significant difference either. I simply try to buy a well regarded premium brand at the best price I can and be done with it. Actually I`ve never seen anything but premiums anyway.

Gio, Hate to burst your bubble. But mills that have there raw material come from there own lumber or flooring have just that. Control over there fiber. Probably why we see the best quality pellets from these type mills.

If NEWP wants to make a high quality pellet to compete with these other pellet manufacturer's. They have to tighten the rains on there incoming fiber. A quality pellet starts with quality fiber and there is no way around it.

If they want to produce a pellet that is lower in quality, Then they must charge a lower price compared to the the top brands. I don't see any other way around it! Or will I pay more for a lesser grade pellet. If you all want to pay more just because of the name on the bag go right ahead. No way will I ever.

Would you pay steak prices for a hamburger??? I'd really rather pay hamburger prices and get a streak! NEWP's prices are higher than Cubex in my neck of the woods. I have burned both and the Cubex are both hotter and cleaner burning. Of coarse there are some places that don't have a wide selection and you are limited. Call me cheap but I alway try to find the best deal overall! To each his own!

jtakeman said:
Gio said:

Gio, Hate to burst your bubble. But mills that have there raw material come from there own lumber or flooring have just that. Control over there fiber. Probably why we see the best quality pellets from these type mills.

If NEWP wants to make a high quality pellet to compete with these other pellet manufacturer's. They have to tighten the rains on there incoming fiber. A quality pellet starts with quality fiber and there is no way around it.

If they want to produce a pellet that is lower in quality, Then they must charge a lower price compared to the the top brands. I don't see any other way around it! Or will I pay more for a lesser grade pellet. If you all want to pay more just because of the name on the bag go right ahead. No way will I ever.

Would you pay steak prices for a hamburger??? I'd really rather pay hamburger prices and get a streak! NEWP's prices are higher than Cubex in my neck of the woods. I have burned both and the Cubex are both hotter and cleaner burning. Of coarse there are some places that don't have a wide selection and you are limited. Call me cheap but I alway try to find the best deal overall! To each his own!
No bubbles burst on my end and you could be right on all points but I`ll stick with my opinion on the matter anyway. From my limited experience few brands if any were consistant . I`ve burned some highly rated name brand pellets that didn`t live up to their hype. Obviously not batch consistant. Never seen Cubex around here though. I wasn`t impressed with the Green Supreme`s or Lignetics I burned last year .
I`m just hoping my 3 tons of fresh Lig`s are decent.

Gio said:
........I`m just hoping my 3 tons of fresh Lig`s are decent.

Gio, which "version" of Lig's did you get? The hardwood/softwood (blend), the softwood, or the Blue bag?

imacman said:
Gio said:

Gio, which "version" of Lig's did you get? The hardwood/softwood (blend), the softwood, or the Blue bag?
If I recall correctly they were in a white bag and were probably a blend. I bought only a few bags to try and tried em in both stoves and although they weren`t really bad I wasn`t impressed either . I`m probably not the best judge of pellets either and can only comment on my own experience. Actually I never knew Lig`s made more than one type of premium pellet. I was always figured that a particular brand of premium pellets is their only premium product.
Must be I assumed wrong .

Gio said:
imacman said:
Gio said:

If I recall correctly they were in a white bag and were probably a blend. I bought only a few bags to try and tried em in both stoves and although they weren`t really bad I wasn`t impressed either . I`m probably not the best judge of pellets either and can only comment on my own experience. Actually I never knew Lig`s made more than one type of premium pellet. I was always figured that a particular brand of premium pellets is their only premium product.
Must be I assumed wrong .
The bags with the Green lettering are a hardwood/softwood blend (they used to be 100% hardwood), the orange lettering is softwood, and the blue lettering was new last year....I forget what was different about them, but they didn't get good reviews.....quite a bit more ash, IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.