It is time to speak your mind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hossthehermit said:
mascoma said:
I think they know they had issues and pissed people off but the fact is that what they shipped did meet the specs printed on bag and advertised (as verified by testing above).
If you expected more than what was stated, premium <1% ash than you assumed too much.
It is completly their call if they want to step up, you don't have to buy from them again, but I don't see a reason to sit around bashing them either.

Some people on the forum dedicate a high percentage of their posts to bragging up their favorite brand, and bashing their least favorite, even if they haven't burned any for 3 years. (Not to point any fingers, or name any names). It's just human nature, I guess.

Or to put it another way; touting the good and call out the bad.

mascoma said:
I think they know they had issues and pissed people off but the fact is that what they shipped did meet the specs printed on bag and advertised (as verified by testing above).
If you expected more than what was stated, premium <1% ash than you assumed too much.
It is completly their call if they want to step up, you don't have to buy from them again, but I don't see a reason to sit around bashing them either.

My comments were directed at the clearly out of spec LONG pellets. All I have to say is "If you put the PFI logo on the bag=It should be to PFI spec in the bag!" And yeah .7% ash is in PFI spec but far from the spec the NH plant is holding.

I am glad NEWP got there issues all tidy now, I just hope they didn't PO too many old customers in the process.

hossthehermit said:
Some people on the forum dedicate a high percentage of their posts to bragging up their favorite brand, and bashing their least favorite, even if they haven't burned any for 3 years. (Not to point any fingers, or name any names). It's just human nature, I guess.

Hoss,

I hope you know I will knock any brand that does "NOT" meet the spec or grade. The name on the bag means squat to me. If I pay top dollar for a quality product, I would think it should be all that! If not I will squawk about it. I don't care who's name is on the bag. Same goes in reverse. I was one of the first to boast about MWP new batch last year and how much they improved them overall(can't wait to try this years even better batch!). I pull no punches and have always told it like it is.

mascoma said:
BTW, Werm have you read your own signature?

Seeing that I wrote it in I'd have to go with a ...............yes!

BTW mascoma, did you read the part of my post that said I didn't want the free bags?

j-takeman said:
mascoma said:

My comments were directed at the clearly out of spec LONG pellets. All I have to say is "If you put the PFI logo on the bag=It should be to PFI spec in the bag!" And yeah .7% ash is in PFI spec but far from the spec the NH plant is holding.

I am glad NEWP got there issues all tidy now, I just hope they didn't PO too many old customers in the process.

hossthehermit said:

Hoss,

I hope you know I will knock any brand that does "NOT" meet the spec or grade. The name on the bag means squat to me. If I pay top dollar for a quality product, I would think it should be all that! If not I will squawk about it. I don't care who's name is on the bag. Same goes in reverse. I was one of the first to boast about MWP new batch last year and how much they improved them overall(can't wait to try this years even better batch!). I pull no punches and have always told it like it is.

Jay, if you thought that my comment was in ANY WAY directed at you, I abjectly apologize, you are probably the LEAST likely member to sugar coat any reports. I DO feel that some members, at times, go a bit overboard, tho', both ways, good and bad. There have been comments such as " that brand is horrible, I'll never burn them again" and "that brand was horrible the first 2 times I tried 'em, but I hear they're better now, so I'll try 'em again" posted by the same person.

hossthehermit said:
j-takeman said:
Hoss,

Jay, if you thought that my comment was in ANY WAY directed at you, I abjectly apologize, you are probably the LEAST likely member to sugar coat any reports. I DO feel that some members, at times, go a bit overboard, tho', both ways, good and bad. There have been comments such as " that brand is horrible, I'll never burn them again" and "that brand was horrible the first 2 times I tried 'em, but I hear they're better now, so I'll try 'em again" posted by the same person.

No need to apologize. I never though it was directed to me, I was just stating my point of view. Peace brother!

I love this site for all the bad and good on here. It is valuable to me as a dealer and hopefully the Manufactures use it to get feed back on there pellets and use it to improve or hold the quality. I also try and post valid information on here but if I ever screw up and post something wrong/stupid I would like to know and be corrected.

Meneillys Woodland Products said:
..... hopefully the Manufactures use it to get feed back on there pellets and use it to improve or hold the quality.......

Yes, we can only hope that some pellet manufacturers will do this, such Lakes Region, Inferior, ACP, etc, etc, but I'm not holding my breath. Heard lots of "talk" about improved NEWP's & Infernos, but talk is cheap...... the proof will be in the burning.

imacman said:
Meneillys Woodland Products said:
..... hopefully the Manufactures use it to get feed back on there pellets and use it to improve or hold the quality.......

Heard lots of "talk" about improved NEWP's & Infernos, but talk is cheap...... the proof will be in the burning.

Drove by a house today with 7 tons of Infernos in the driveway....golly, I hope for his sake they are better...

I used NEWP when I bought the Englander stove back in 2007. This was a few years ago so they could have improved by now. The quality back then wasn't the best I have used. I have never purchased them again because of the original purchase experience and the availability here isn't great for that brand. I had to clean the stove much more and the heat output wasn't very good. We have all learned that the pellet quality changes and many companies continue to improve the quality of the product. I have a pellet brand I have used every year since and will stay with it. This doesn't mean there aren't other quality products it just means that the pellet cost and quality works for me and has been consistently good.

I had my win a ton pellets delivered the other day by Blakeslee pellet from Middletown CT. The owner, Jason, seemed like a pretty knowledgeable guy about pellets. This post with pic shows that NEWP is giving away a ton a month. Pretty neat promo I think. I know other posters have been bashing the company and their pellets but I will reserve my opinion until I have burnt some. There is a clear section on the bag where you can see the pellets. Most look like 3/8-1/2" long. I saw a couple maybe 3/4" but not many. Pellet rating on the bag is 7900-8200btu, moisture 3-5%, .4-.7% ash, density 40lbs. cu.ft. Do the survey maybe you guys might win too. I am going to try these first when I fire up the stove hopefully my stove will like them. :)

Attachments

• pictures 8-14-2010 016.jpg
    pictures 8-14-2010 016.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 285
The Radiator said:
I had my win a ton pellets delivered the other day by Blakeslee pellet from Middletown CT. The owner, Jason, seemed like a pretty knowledgeable guy about pellets. This post with pic shows that NEWP is giving away a ton a month. Pretty neat promo I think. I know other posters have been bashing the company and their pellets but I will reserve my opinion until I have burnt some. There is a clear section on the bag where you can see the pellets. Most look like 3/8-1/2" long. I saw a couple maybe 3/4" but not many. Pellet rating on the bag is 7900-8200btu, moisture 3-5%, .4-.7% ash, density 40lbs. cu.ft. Do the survey maybe you guys might win too. I am going to try these first when I fire up the stove hopefully my stove will like them. :)

Interesting new bag NEWP has with the clear section so you can see the pellets inside. Wonder why they did that?

One of the bashers! :cheese:

Last year, I started traveling around with Barefoots and Okies which I would hand off to customers who were experiencing the results of poor pellets. This year since I got a deal for free product samples, I'm just handing out Okanagans. It's sad that I cannot hand out NEWP.

In a nut shell, here is the problem: the average stove owner just does not perform the right maintenance and are using a pellet which requires more and more of it. If you wanted to tear apart the stove every month you could burn NEWP with success. Isn't amazing that if you start the year with a clean machine you can go through an entire season with Okanagans. How much more will it cost you? $50 bucks??? Why, why ,why would anyone burn NEWP when for $50 more you could burn something like Okies, get way more heat, have far less maintenance and make your home smell good at the same time???

As a service repair guy, ask why they are even screwing NEWP when for about the same money or usually only slightly more (less at Squier’s Lumber) they can get Okies, which haven’t had quality/length/moisture/heat/ash issues year after year and why even bother buying these middle of the road brands…it makes no sense when the better stuff is so much better for your stove, much less maintenance.

Boggles the mind.

I agree 100% with what you're saying, but people still need to test out a few bags before buying a ton. As I mentioned in another thread, for some reason, my stove doesn't like Okies. The stove gets black with some creosote. I don't want to hijack this thread as I did have some ideas from people on this problem. I just want to caution people to test out even the better brands. I had no trouble with the NEWP, except the excessive ash. Yes, it was a pain to have to clean so often, which is why I made a change for this year. I will test out a few brands this winter, as you never know what brands will be available in your area.

newf lover said:
I agree 100% with what you're saying, but people still need to test out a few bags before buying a ton. As I mentioned in another thread, for some reason, my stove doesn't like Okies. The stove gets black with some creosote. I don't want to hijack this thread as I did have some ideas from people on this problem. I just want to caution people to test out even the better brands. I had no trouble with the NEWP, except the excessive ash. Yes, it was a pain to have to clean so often, which is why I made a change for this year. I will test out a few brands this winter, as you never know what brands will be available in your area.

If your stove is getting black with Okies, you have a stove problem. I bet you a service call I can make that issue go away using any pellet (except Inferno's or Bayou's). If you get black on the glass with Okies and not with NEWP, it's because you have creosote already existing in and around the ash pan...the heat of the okies starts to burn it off, I imagine NEWP never gets hot enough. JMHO.

Hey, I was going to post and ask if they'd deliver a free pallet to WA state, but after all the complaints I'm not so sure I'd want them. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.