It looks looks a repeat.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garyvol

Feb 12, 2008
North of Boston
The weather looks like a repeat of last weekend. Overnite snow Friday night into Sat. morning.
Startup the basement wood stove (old defiant type) Sat morn, have some breakfast and brew some coffee,
check on the fire as it will slowly build. Go out and snowblow driveway, and then come back in, get some coffee,
go back to the basement and turn on the smooth jazz, speakers on each side of the stove along the wall, throw another log or 2 on the fire, sit down in the easy chair and watch the flame.
Man, does it get any better than that.
Be nice now:)
-gary

That does sound great, but instead of the more modern smooth jazz, I'd go for something like John Coltrane.

-SF

Make it Big & Rich, throw in some ZZ and the latest issue of Home power. With a broken tractor/plow I won't even have to clear my driveway. Thank you Mr. neighbor. Fat & happy in the hilltown.

Almost envy you guys. We're suffering thru a 60 degree day with lots of sunshine and bright blue skies. The only music I have going is the birds - the feathered kind. This kind of weather makes it hard to keep the soapstone stove running efficiently. In fact its been out since 4 AM but still 69* inside. Hard choice - wood heat or warm sunshine. On second thought... :coolsmile:

It`s been 48-58 degrees here during the day,and 38-46 during the night for the past week or so. Only burning the insert about 6 hours a day. Otherwise seems like a waste of wood. Even with the price of oil being what it is I think its cheaper to let the old boiler have a 3/4 hour run once every 24. With these kind of temps the house doesn`t seem to lose heat very quickly.

I would have to burn 16/7 with wood to keep the place comfortable otherwise.

I've lost track of exact snowfall total I've measured this season now, arounnd 80-85 inches. Concord NH is approaching their all time record. We got a quick 3" last night from a backside trough behind the last storm. Looking for 4-8" more Fri - night Sat, tendancy has been for forecasts to keep increasing this event here near the coast and down east Maine. Next week looks especially stormy, with two potentially powerful storms. First comes out of Gulf up into Ohio Valley or possibly up the coast Tuesdayish with potential for very severe weather down south and lots of snow west of Appalachians, if it tracks coastal then snow in the mountains too. Looks unlikely to be an east coast coastal snow storm as it will almost certainly be too warm on the coastal plain, at least Boston south. Perhaps an east coast snow lovers storm towards end of next week with a potential coastal system and finally, plenty of cold air in place. Again, good potential for fairly stron storm. Long ways away but the east coast weather is looking very interesting for the time being if you are a storm lover.

Around here we have our share of snow. Still nothing like ten or fifteen years ago. Now it's ice. The asphalt roads are ok but the dirt roads and driveways are pure ice. Course you can't salt the dirt roads and sand just rolls to the edges and that's where you drive. Almost makes you wish for an early mud season. Almost %-P

60 here in southeast Kansas cloudy and gonna be about 27 tonight so I still ave my fire going about a log every 6 hours or so just in case.

We here in Madison are now pushing the 90" mark with March statistically being the snowiest month as the jetstream moves further south. Broke our record in early Feb and dodged what you guys got this week. Was supposed to get upwards of 8+ but ended up with only two. You guys in the NE can have it and keep it. You've got mountains to make it look real vs. our low rolling hills. I say, Come On May!!!

Have fun and keep your wheels on the road.

jpl1nh said:
I've lost track of exact snowfall total I've measured this season now, arounnd 80-85 inches. Concord NH is approaching their all time record. We got a quick 3" last night from a backside trough behind the last storm. Looking for 4-8" more Fri - night Sat, tendancy has been for forecasts to keep increasing this event here near the coast and down east Maine. Next week looks especially stormy, with two potentially powerful storms. First comes out of Gulf up into Ohio Valley or possibly up the coast Tuesdayish with potential for very severe weather down south and lots of snow west of Appalachians, if it tracks coastal then snow in the mountains too. Looks unlikely to be an east coast coastal snow storm as it will almost certainly be too warm on the coastal plain, at least Boston south. Perhaps an east coast snow lovers storm towards end of next week with a potential coastal system and finally, plenty of cold air in place. Again, good potential for fairly stron storm. Long ways away but the east coast weather is looking very interesting for the time being if you are a storm lover.

It certainly won't snow more than a dusting here.

My snow blower is working absolutely fine and
I have a new tractor with FELand BH being delivered tomorrow morning.
Spring and Summer may not arrive for tractor chores until August, but it won't snow.
:)
Murphy's a SOB.

Winter storm watches for all areas Boston north. Looks like a more coastal event, upstate NY northwest VT probably out of the loop. Down east Maine may be in for a significant dump of 12"+, though NH and eastern MA could be in on that action as well.

What's up with all these balmy temps you guys are reporting? Frickin' negative four this morning! :grrr:

brooktrout said:
What's up with all these balmy temps you guys are reporting? Frickin' negative four this morning! :grrr:
Negative 4 here also this am. Predicting up to 12" of fluffy stuff. At least it will be easy to shovel and it may just blow off the roofs instead of raking. Good week-end for some home made soup and bread. Ain't life grand.

brooktrout said:

It was a scorching -21 here this morning. New record set for the towns of Massena, Constable, Malone, Westville, Chateaugay and Burke.

Time to break out the shorts and tank top!

-20 at my place this AM. Dinner time last nite was already -2. Forecasting 4-8" in my zone tonite/tomorrow and they have to put out a winter weather warning?? Cmon, get real. Thats just a small snowstorm, not "warning worthy". Gotta be all those flatlanders that have moved in around here cant take a "normal" winter like we used to have (and Im only 39!)

Still waiting for 50's to come though and melt this white stuff. Im ready for spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.