It pays to let neighbors know you're a log collector!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdinspector

Feeling the Heat
Jan 22, 2009
Northern IL
I have let it be known around my neighborhood (suburban lots, houses about 30 feet apart) that I burn wood. Over the past years I've collected little bits and pieces from around the neighborhood. Today, my next door neighbor told me about a house that's being torn down on the next block to clear room for a larger house (who says there's a recession?>!). I walked over and talked to the tree climbers and he said I could take all I wanted. I took 2 trailer loads before I had to run off to work, but there will be more tomorrow. There are a total of 3 medium sized maples coming down. Trunks about 20-24" I'll take another 3-4 loads tomorrow. I told another neighbor about it and he is over there now taking the remnants of today's tree felling. I figure there are about 2-3 cords total for me to pick through.

P.S.- Thank god for ramps on trailers. I couldn't imagine lifting some of the big ones!

Attachments

• CIMG8573.JPG
    CIMG8573.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 664
  • CIMG8574.JPG
    CIMG8574.JPG
    71 KB · Views: 668
  • CIMG8575.JPG
    CIMG8575.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 646
nice work!

Whoo - Hooo !!!

Nice lookin' wood ya got there

Way to go inspector!

Maybe if you offer them some sort of incentive, the tree guys taking them down will buck them to consistent lengths for you, so all you have to do is split & stack. Rick

I asked if they would cut them down or I could buck them to proper length and they weren't helpful. They were, however, specific that they DID NOT want me to do any cutting. (liability). That's OK, I'll cut them at home.

What do people do with all of the sawdust? Keep in mind, I'm cutting these on my driveway (behind my garage) and can't let them sit on the ground and blow around for days on end. I usually sweep it all up (this will be 3-4 garbage cans of sawdust). Does sawdust make good garden mulch? I'm thinking yes?

It grew from the ground, it'll go right back into the ground. Just don't bury stuff you want to see grow with a trash can full of it all at once. Spread it around, mix it in, it'll be back where it came from. Rick

jdinspector said:
Does sawdust make good garden mulch? I'm thinking yes?
Actually, no. It needs to get mixed with other stuff and spend a few years decomposing, before it is 'good' mulch. Using fresh sawdust for mulch sucks nitrogen out of the soil (as I remember)- especially if turned into the ground with a shovel, etc.. This is exactly the opposite of what you want to do in organic gardening- free up available nitrogen for your plants. Sawdust will bind up nitrogen and keep it from your plants. Get a good J.I. Rodale book if you want more detailed info about mulch.

Nice wood haul, BTW.

jdinspector said:
Does sawdust make good garden mulch?
It's good mulch for raspberries.

I just spread it around my processing area and the grass grows up through it eventually. Some of it I mix in with my grass and leaf mulch and wood ash from the stove.

Offer them cash to drop it off to your house.

Wood Fox said:
Offer them cash to drop it off to your house.

This reminds me when I built my house in 1990. I cleared my lot and had 15 cords of hardwood cut to 4" lengths to give away.
I offered it to a neighbor for free who said "if you drop it off in my yard I'll take it off your hands". I was insulted and didn't deliver the wood. Along came the 1st Gulf war and fuel prices went through the roof. Now he wanted the wood really bad. Yeah-it was too bad-he never got it......

Mike

More pics of the trailer please. Like the looks of it, who makes it?

Sawdust will sour the ground so not only will it rob nitrogen but you'll need to put extra lime on it. Still, I've used it a lot over the years with excellent results, but only on sandy ground.

Something else you can do is to dry it really good and then keep it for winter time. If you have an ice storm the sawdust can give you some good traction. Carry a bucket with you in the car or truck. Mix in some salt with it and you have a winner.

steam man said:
...15 cords of hardwood cut to 4" lengths to give away...
I don't know if I'd want to bother with four inch lengths even if it was free and you delivered it.

See if one of the towns around you have a composting facility. I drop all of my sawdust and extra bark there.

boostnut said:
More pics of the trailer please. Like the looks of it, who makes it?

Here is a photo of my trailer. It's a "Big Tex". I was looking for something that I could still move around by hand if needed, but also had 15" wheels. It will hold about 3,000# when really stuffed. It's rated for 2500#. The next size up was 10 foot bed, but was really difficult to maneuver. I'm able to back this up easily, move it by hand, and can even tow it with my wife's Honda Odyssey mini-van. I paid about $1200 for it last fall. So far pretty good trailer. I added the side boards. Interesting, I was attracted by the John Deere Green paint. When I went to the local hardware store to get paint for the side boards, I asked for John Deere Green, and that's exactly what color the gallon was labled. He had the paint in stock!

Attachments

• CIMG8623.JPG
    CIMG8623.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 302
  • CIMG8624.JPG
    CIMG8624.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 293
Nice trailer - same size as my Bri-Mar. Can you get sides on that one? Bri-Mar sold sides for mine but they were expensive so I just made them out of some recycled PT decking I had around. I could pile a cord in mine if I wanted but usually stick with 1/2 to 2/3 cord depending on wood and weight.

PS - and the ramp is a life [I mean back] saver.

Status
Not open for further replies.