It really does fall out of the sky...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kbrown

Feeling the Heat
Oct 19, 2008
SE, Michigan
Well, kinda. It fell over from high in the sky at least! Friend at work called to say this tree had fallen across an access road behind their house. Land is state land, so it's just there for the taking since it fell from state land to their land. Cut it up all the way back to the edge of the access road on the state land side. This sucker took out some good size limbs of a cherry, maple and another oak so I took all those too! ;-P
Looks like it had been dead for at least a few years; no bark to be seen until I was about at the 20' from base mark. Doesn't matter to me since this will be for the 2011-12 season. Going back with the splitter in order to handle the larger rounds.
Oh yea, very proud of my old Poulan Pro 18. Cleaned it up from doing some bucking in the yard, put a fresh chain on it and that saw did me proud on this 3' diameter tree. You can see the rot that was present as I got closer to the base; thousands of black ants and even a pair of wood spiders; one stopped long enough to let me take a pic of her...big egg sack she was carrying around.
Best part was a neighbor in the area came over and asked if I wanted to take the two large oaks in their yard a tree service dropped last fall! That's the stuff in the last picture. Calling in a fellow Hearth member and co-worker to help take these out and store. :coolsmile:

Attachments

• Oak tree Bailos place.jpg
    Oak tree Bailos place.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 363
  • wood spider on oak.jpg
    wood spider on oak.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 377
  • neighbors oaks.jpg
    neighbors oaks.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 360
Now that is a nice find! Then the neighbor offers more! Did you also play the lottery?

Backwoods Savage said:
Now that is a nice find! Then the neighbor offers more! Did you also play the lottery?
:lol: No, but we sure did put in the work on this; ended up with 4 pick up truck loads; since I took the splitter on site with me today I got picky about anything that showed rot or bugs and just tossed it back into the woods. Those two damn spiders made another appearance; their last thanks to my axe and foot. Felt kinda bad about it since they probably were good for the trees but they wouldn't leave the wood and looked like their bite could cause some issues. At least I know that 2012-13 season will have some oak in it; stuff was still wet enough that I'm gonna try to give it a full two years.

Yeah, man- sometimes it just falls out of the sky. Nice haul!

heatit said:
Calling in a fellow Hearth member and co-worker to help take these out and store. :coolsmile:

Yea, I didn't get your BBM until I was driving home. It was nice to arrive home and find some oak neatly stacked in my yard. Thanks Karl! haha

I am off the rest of the week if you want to get the rest of that wood. We can use the trailer since I have no room in my truck anymore......

Status
Not open for further replies.