It smells?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyG

Dec 22, 2010
Central Fla
My In laws installed a gas fireplace last winter and basically have been unable to use it much do to the fumes it produces :eek:hh: . It is a ventless unit and I know this may be the problem, but is this normal with a ventless unit or is there a setting that can fix this? Maybe add a vent somehow?Thanks.

Yup, ventfrees have a smell to them. It is pretty distinct. I wouldn't recommend them in a small area or a very tight house. You can't vent them. Basically, think of it this way-you are venting the exhaust from burning the gas into your home. We have one as a backup to our woodstove since we have no other heat source, but our Cottage is NOT very tight (leaky windows, doors). I have noticed that running the little air purifier I have actually helped reduce the smell even more-I am not using it for that though, it's for my shed-o-rific dog and dh's mild allergies.

Thanks, yea I figured nothing can be done, they picked it up pretty cheap at a yard sale and thats probably why the other folks were getting rid of it. I quess they will have to crack windows and open doors...

I would make sure the logs are installed properly and it's burning clean (the less yellow the flames are the better with these). After that, well, it's just how they are.

DAKSY said:
Hopefully, they've got a couple of CO detectors
plugged in throughout the house....

DOH! Forgot to mention one of the most important parts of owning a VF stove or fireplace...Yes, most certainly get some CO2 detectors!!

Status
Not open for further replies.