It Takes A Village...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zzyk

Oct 24, 2008
schoharie county ny
:cheese:
It'll be sad to see them go...

Attachments

• village1.jpg
    village1.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 704
  • village2.jpg
    village2.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 715
I would never have the patience to build a HH, but if I could make them look that nice, I don't know that I could stand to tear them down.

wendell said:
I would never have the patience to build a HH, but if I could make them look that nice, I don't know that I could stand to tear them down.
Ditto.....

at least you got the pictures

Why are you posting pics of your neighbor's HHs? LOL, jk. Nice HHs! :lol:

Man if I could get a hold of some HH seeds I d be growing those all over in my backyard. I might even try to grow one right there in my stove.

Nice HH's, they look good.

ZZyk

You need to come over to Carlisle and give me some lessons. Very nice...

Beautiful. Nice work! Looks kind of like those African villages with the round mud huts with thatched roofs. :lol:

Thats great !! How much wood does each one hold???? How much beer did it take you to build them????lolol.....nice job.

Those are the nicest HH's I've seen! They look great, excellent work!

By golly! That is a niece piece of engineering.
jackpine

I'm just finishing up my first HH made from the 2 cords of Black Locust I scored off of CL. All in all, I really don't think it takes much more time to make a HH than my regular stacks. With a HH, you don't have to cross-stack the row ends or drive stakes into the ground, etc to stabilize the rows. I did spend a bit more time finding pieces that "fit" better, but I really doubt I spent more than 25% more time making my 2 cord HH than I would have spent making two 1 cord 4x4x8 stacks........

NP

You need to put little garden gnomes in front of those things, and maybe some little false doors.

Peace,
- Sequoia

Buy some seasoned wood for your stove. Keep the HH. They are too nice!

Nice! Come on, you build them to use them.

Build it again, bigger and even better next time.

I agree with nonprophet that holz hausen don't take a whole lot of extra time to build compared to straight stacks. besides, I haven't had a HH fall yet, but my straight stacks have toppled, probably just because I THINK HH are more likely to fall so I am more careful when I stack them.

great looking HH.
I think to build a HH correctly takes a little more work and tons more wood than a standard straight stack. I tried to build one last spring but could not get it stable enough. I think I split my wood larger than most and the kids were all excited about having a house looking pile of wood to play on. So it went to stacks. I will try again.

How many critters have called that place home do you think ?

Wow, very nice work. I'm on my second, I love the way they look. I put mine up on pallets, but I love the way they look right on the ground like that, more like they're part of the landscape. I guess I'm too worried about losing that bottom course to rot....

EDIT: I also agree that it doesn't take much more time than a traditional stack, and are much more stable in my experience.

Very nice . . . I'm actually thinking of trying to build a HH this Fall.

Thanks foir the compliments. I found they don't take that long once you've got a groove going. The two in the back were the last ones I did and they were the best size-wise, about 2.5 cords each. The first one was too big and has some stability issues, while the second was too small.

Jack- I'll come help anytime

Status
Not open for further replies.