It was 85 degrees last night and I had a fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kd460

Feeling the Heat
Feb 5, 2006
Yes, it was in the low 90's on sunday here in Michigan, with the humidity about the same. Spent the day installing my Enviro Kodiak 1700 insert. I find it ironic that I was installing a fireplace on one of the hottest days so far this year.

The install went well. My cousin helped me out. He was an installer for about 10 years, about 10 years ago. However, I have to mention, because of the great info here, I seemed to "know more" than he did about the technicalities. He was a big help with some of the other things, and great for an extra set of hands, but, I could have done it myself. Just would have taken a little longer.

Anyways, last night, after everyone went to bed, I was having a beer, staring at the "finished job" and patting myself on the back. I grabbed some paper, a few small pieces of wood, and gave it a go. Had the central air on, the window and the door open, and a small slow fire going. I'm sure the neighbors think I am nuts, but that OK, just means less tools I have to loan out.

This insert is installed in a Heatilator E-39 zero clearance fireplace. The new 6" chimney liner was a straight drop down. Matched up exactly with the flue collar on the insert and the chimney flue on the fireplace. When I mean exact, I mean it! No room for error, the insert is all the way back in the fireplace, and the 6 inch liner is all the way forward in the 8 inch fireplace chimney flue, but it does line up. Thankfully, the liner/insert collar can be attatched from the inside of the insert, as I would have never been able to reach in there with the insert intalled to make the connection.

The draw seems to be improved from just the fireplace. I did not get it hot enough to activate the the themostsaticlly controlled blower on the insert, but I did burn a small fire for about 3 hours. I still had a few glowing embers this morning, but the metal was cold. I did have some paint burning odor (as I expected this), and I'm sure I'll get some more till I have a couple "full" fires, but, I am pleased with the initial burn, and the install. Now I am hoping for a cold snap!

I need to add a single row of tile to the hearth to get my clearance (I'm an inch short) back in spec, and then I will call the inspector. He seems to only be concerned about clearances. I did discuss install with him when I pulled the permit, and he seemed confident I knew what I was doing. I think it was because I knew all the right answers and terms when I discussed the install with him, once again, thanks to this website and the people who provide the info on this website.

I did not take any pics, but I will. One thing I might add about the install, other than basic hand tools, it was easy. One tool that was really nice to have was an electric high speed ginder/cut off wheel/tool thingy. I picked one up at harbor freight for about $20 and it has more than paid for itself in the past 6 months. Did a nice quick simple job of cutting the liner without distortion, cutting the block off plate to fit (used a piece of SS sheet metal-20 gauge), and even used it to make the round 6-1/4 inch hole for the liner to fit thru. Here is a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31309

Like I mentioned for $20 bucks (on sale) it has paid for itself many times over. Thanks to all that helped "educate me", as it made this install easy. KD

Very nice! Big view of fire. Seems similar to my Quad 2700i, only bigger!! The extra room in your Heatilator E39 must have helped compared to my Heatilator A36. Again, looks like a good choice to me.

I don't think your nuts. I would of done the same thing. Might as well get that paint cure smell off the stove now, then it will be good to go when really need it.

Cangrats on your new install! thats hard work!

I needed a fire last night, i woke up to a dusting of snow. Gotta love the woodstove.

Status
Not open for further replies.