It was a matter of time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gareth96

Burning Hunk
Feb 8, 2014
SW Ohio
So, I popped off my chase cover this weekend to have a look at what I was up against in building the alcove for my BK. Whoever did the siding job on my house (before I moved in) left a small hole in the siding where the chase meets the high part of the roof. Should have been flashed, but noooo.. & since it's a wood frame chase.. yes, water damage. One whole side of the chase is rotted completely through from the roof to the ceiling level fireblock. Won't know how far down it goes till I take out the ZC fireplace. Good thing I decided to do this project when I did before the spring rains, little more time and the water would be flowing into the house.. Fun, fun, fun...

Bummer. I hate discoveries like that.

We replace several chase covers a year. If its vinyl sided, I typically find a rotted out chase. It's sad that our building practices have become so poor, even in "high end" houses.

Reactions: DamienBricka
The good news is that the rotten part is contained between two studs and nothing is nailed into it.. well, at least for the part I can see that is above the false ceiling... so I hope I can just cut out the bad area and add a patch..

It really is sad.......on our first house we had an outlet that would just not work, took it apart and the screws were not tight. The wire had been arcing against screws and had melted the outlet sides. Could have burned our house down (brand new home). I am sure the building inspector new the electrician and signed off on it with very little investigation, because "he does good work":mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.