It was cold the other night!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heat seeker

Minister of Fire
Feb 25, 2011
Northern CT
Monday night hit 9ºF, so I had the stove on high. Results are pictured:

IMG_2838.jpg

And yes, real frost on the OAK. The flash sorta washed it out, there was more than the picture shows:

IMG_2840.jpg

I'm lovin' this stove!

This is burning Instant Heats on the highest setting of the stove.
This stove heats a 2400 sq.ft. Colonial with very little help from the oil burner up on the second floor, where we keep it at 70º. Usually run the stove at level 4 if it's under 32º, level 3 if above, and the 'stat keeps things under control.

Whoa, we got down to 3 °F and my OAK didn't do that. Do you have a humidifier running?

9 degrees is cold???? But, yeah, that's why I don't use an OAK.

18 degrees here and my OAK looks like that right now. I have to keep a pan under it to catch the water when it melts.

I do run a humidifier.
That's the only time I've seen this happen, and the amount of water is small. If it occurs again, I'll just put a cloth down to catch the water.
I'd rather have the cold concentrated like this than suck it into the house and chill things down. I've seen a bit of condensation on the OAK before, but never enough to drip on the floor.

Felt my OAK and wondered if frost could happen. Guess it is a possibility!

[quote author="heat seeker" date="1327022350"]Monday night hit 9ºF, so I had the stove on high. Results are pictured:

IMG_2838.jpg

And yes, real frost on the OAK. The flash sorta washed it out, there was more than the picture shows:

IMG_2840.jpg

I'm lovin' this stove!

This is burning Instant Heats on the highest setting of the stove.
This stove heats a 2400 sq.ft. Colonial with very little help from the oil burner up on the second floor, where we keep it at 70º. Usually run the stove at level 4 if it's under 32º, level 3 if above, and the 'stat keeps things under control.[/quote

did not know that the oak would freeze like that. And what type of thermostat is that you have on your stove i like the way it looks

What's a little frost? I've had that on one of my doors when it was in the teens below zero. I put a paper towel under my OAK. Same towel there all season. Never notice any staining etc. But to be without OAK, that isn't going to happen. No way am I going to use my heated room air to fuel the fire. Besides, with the OAK, I don't get the frost on the door.

glenc0322 - I picked up that magnetic thermometer at the hardware store. It's intended for wood stoves. It was a little pricey - $20.00 I think.
I like it because I get a relative indication of the stove's output. It seems to be accurate enough, but I use it to monitor the stove's performance, and it helps me judge the heat output of different pellets. It catches just a little of the hot air without blocking too much of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.