It's -2 and I'm (gladly) stacking wood outside...why?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ADK_XJ

Feeling the Heat
Nov 18, 2014
Saratoga Springs, NY
Because of this dang gum "Bachelor" nonsense that takes over my living room every Monday night! Anyone else out there feel me on this one?

If I spend 5 minutes within earshot of the TV right now I can actually feel IQ points shooting out of my brain much like a jammed open flue.

Thankfully it is being watched upstairs, which is nicely heated now by the pellet boiler.
Ooops, time to put some more wood in the insert, downstairs.

Think my hubby feels the same when I watch the Walking Dead marathons. He disappears into the basement. Never watched the 'Bachelor' I know what you mean by the IQ point drop.

Don't forget that Celebrity Apprentice is on at the same time, and being dvr'd for later viewing. :)

Ah. My TV life evolves around 'Treehouse Disney, Toy story 1,2 & 3 and the Movie 'UP'

Feel yourself lucky!

Ah. My TV life evolves around 'Treehouse Disney, Toy story 1,2 & 3 and the Movie 'UP'

Feel yourself lucky!
Ha ha. Hey, I'd actually watch those given the choice. I think...

Don't forget that Celebrity Apprentice is on at the same time, and being dvr'd for later viewing. :)
We gave up cable, DVR and the like years ago. To my wife's credit, she openly admits it's the brain nutritional equivalent of eating tic tacs but, oof, it's so bad.

Meanwhile, I think she's pretty sure I've lost my mind watching videos of people's stove's secondary burns. To each their own!

Think my hubby feels the same when I watch the Walking Dead marathons. He disappears into the basement. Never watched the 'Bachelor' I know what you mean by the IQ point drop.
Ha! Yes, I should have said this was not intended as a gender jab.

The basement is my favorite evening escape spot, as well. I have a stack of my grandfather's old chisels, files, planes and handsaws that I've slowly been bringing back to life.

Ha ha. Hey, I'd actually watch those given the choice. I think...

Yeah for sure. I 100% agree with the majority regarding all this new TV crap. But, they must make money or the networks wouldn't show them.

The wife like's to watch all the UK soaps that we grew up with. (She's watching them right now)

I moved 5000 miles to get away from all that.

And you cannot beat a good kids movie on repeat.

Yeah for sure. I 100% agree with the majority regarding all this new TV crap. But, they must make money or the networks wouldn't show them.

The wife like's to watch all the UK soaps that we grew up with. (She's watching them right now)

I moved 5000 miles to get away from all that.

And you cannot beat a good kids movie on repeat.

I had to read that last line twice to make sure I hadn't incited you to violence! Yup, the oldies are the goodies with kids movies, although none ourselves (yet).

My biggest TV-war victory was when it was finally banished from the bedroom. We moved to this old farmhouse and our bedroom has such a funky layout it doesn't allow for a direct view of a TV from any angle - bingo! Now, we just watch the snow fall and wait for deer in the front yard out the double windows.

Ha! Yes, I should have said this was not intended as a gender jab.

The basement is my favorite evening escape spot, as well. I have a stack of my grandfather's old chisels, files, planes and handsaws that I've slowly been bringing back to life.

I didn't take it as a gender thing, I know he goes down there because that's where his guitar is.

Your Grandfather's tools are a worthy task, and its enjoyable, I know, it's something I like to do as well. Here are some pic's of my Grandfather's handsaws, and a strange object that I suspect might have been an early torch of some kind and his saw vise. saws.JPG blowtorch.JPG sawvise.JPG I have to remove the rust from the saws, unfortunately I used an electric wire wheel and probably should not have.

Last edited:
Because of this dang gum "Bachelor" nonsense that takes over my living room every Monday night! Anyone else out there feel me on this one?

If I spend 5 minutes within earshot of the TV right now I can actually feel IQ points shooting out of my brain much like a jammed open flue.
" I can't believe he's kissing a different girl? Not me, but one of the other 12! I thought I was special!"

I try to leave, and I get the "don't you want to be with me ???.....stay here "

I didn't take it as a gender thing, I know he goes down there because that's where his guitar is.

Your Grandfather's tools are a worthy task, and its enjoyable, I know, it's something I like to do as well. Here are some pic's of my Grandfather's handsaws, and a strange object that I suspect might have been an early torch of some kind and his saw vise. View attachment 152660 View attachment 152661 View attachment 152659 I have to remove the rust from the saws, unfortunately I used an electric grinding wheel and probably should not have.
Wow, very nice. I especially like the little hand-torch. I'm relatively new to woodworking tools so it's been an interesting experience for me. I'll have to grab some shots of my scores when I'm back home tonight.

I can commiserate with your husband on the guitar — I have a collection from my gigging years but they are currently sitting stacked in their cases in the back office (with the door close to preserve heat), except my prized Gibson J-45 acoustic, pre-war model.

" I can't believe he's kissing a different girl? Not me, but one of the other 12! I thought I was special!"
Ugh, yes. It's not (really) the subject matter that puts me over the edge, it's more whenever I wander into the room someone is doing their damnedest to conjure up tears and throw an emotional chit fit on national TV. It's almost as bad as Facebook!

I try to leave, and I get the "don't you want to be with me ???.....stay here "
Haha, I've heard this one, too. "Hey, what are you doing in the basement? Don't you want to HANNNG OUT with me?"

She knows the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.