It's a Beautiful Sight to Behold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
Our new Hearthstone Heritage has been broken in and now we have real fires. I can hardly do this post as I keep looking over at the stove - great looking fire and feels. terrific. OK so it was in the 60's today and I probably didn't need a fire in the first place. I have a lot of softwood that I can use and just took down a dead pine tree yesterday in the front yard and it's almost dry enough to burn right now. Have 11 cord cut and stacked and probably another cord ready to split. Think we're ready for some serious cold weather later on. Hey hey, those flames are dancin' just like some pics you all posted last winter. Life is sweet! :coolsmile:

Enjoy it! Temps not ready here to burn. I got only 7 cords but that's more than enough for this season.

Everybody keeps saying "11 cord of wood" and etc. Are you people meaning face cord or do you have piles and piles and piles of wood? I wanna think I have 2-3 cords, but I mean real chords then, (8-12 face).

Just curious

rhetoric said:
Everybody keeps saying "11 cord of wood" and etc. Are you people meaning face cord or do you have piles and piles and piles of wood? I wanna think I have 2-3 cords, but I mean real chords then, (8-12 face).

Just curious
We dont talk face cords around here.Do we :question:

Most references to cords on this site are to the 4'x4'x8' variaty. (128 cubic ft ) I have about 8 of those stacked around and will probably burn 4 of em this winter.

budman said:
rhetoric said:

Just curious
We dont talk face cords around here.Do we :question:

Some of us are wood obsessives. I have roughly 11 full cords ready to go and another cord and a half or so locked up in a monster tree trunk in my yard. I may have more since I tend to stack around 5-6 feet high. But I think I don't have enough.

Boy, I suddenly feel emasculated. Cordal envy.

Maybe I'll take a picture of my wood pile and post it so you guys can tell me how much I really have. I know the measurements, but a bunch of it is cross-stacked and etc. so I don't really know how much I have. Enought for one Rochester winter, anyway (more if I get a new efficient stove).

rhetoric said:
Boy, I suddenly feel emasculated. Cordal envy.

Now now, it's not the size of the woodpile, it's how you burn it... ;-)

10 real cords of softwood await a sad fate in my Heritage too. 2-3 cords wouldn't make it halfway through the season.

BCNU, your profile says Homestead but your post says Heritage.

We've been burning daily since about the middle of this month.

Highbeam - my error as it's a Homestead.
I have a shed that is approx 12x35. My wood fills about an 8x30 area 6' high. I figure 10 good cords there. I have a cord and a half closer to the house and I just took down a dead tree yesterday that will give at least half a cord. I figure 12 cord will last 2-4 years. Now I can begin to take only the wood that's easier to get, as a lot of what I have took some effort(the thrill of the hunt). Can't get enough of the stuff. Went hiking in the mtns. of central Wash. last week and all I could see, while hiking through the woods, was the an endless supply of firewood...and that was just the stuff already on the ground!

rhetoric - A cord is 128 cu. ft. of wood. Anything other than that is a fraction (1/3, 1/2, etc.) or some other term such as face cord or rick or "pick up load" yadda, yadda, yadda.

Most here are talking "real" cords. I've only got about 10-11 cord split, so don't feel TOO inadequate. ;-P The only thing that really matters is that you have enough seasoned, split wood to get you through YOUR winter.

**edit** and BCNU congrats on the stove. Doesn't it feel great? I find my self (at night) watching the stove, not the TV.

It's very easy to become wood obsessive. I have somewhere around 23 to 24 cords, yes true cords, of wood. Its not all cut to length, split and stacked yet, about 1/3 of it is. The rest is green this year or standing and lying dead that I've stacked in 4 to 8' sections off the ground and top covered with tarps. I will probably burn 4 cords this year. So what the hell am I doing with all this wood? And still, I have a cord or two of mixed apple, ash, cherry, birch, red maple to get from my brother in law thats cut to 8' sections right now. I have a friend that wants a medium size sugar maple taken down. Another friend has some 30" diam sugar maple butt that he may need removed. Someone else has a bunch of 40-50' tall black locust they aren't very happy with. Another friend works for a tree service and calls here or there with wood already cut mostly to stove length. How do you say no to 3/4 cord of red oak cut to length that you just have to drive over to, pick up, and bring home? Once you insert yourself into the stream of wood, it becomes really hard to say no to free high quality hardwood. I just feel I have the obligation to make sure it gets stored well so it doesn't rot. If push comes to shove, I may sell a cord or two here or there. Hope you are able to keep a more balanced perspective than many of us here do. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.