It's a sad day!!! Hearthtools is closing up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very sad to see this, but a sign of the times. Rod, you've helped out so many members here (including me), and I hope you stay on hearth.com to add your knowledge and experience in the future. Best of luck to you and your family.

It is sad to see another casualty in these trying times but it seems to be happening all
around us. So many people hurting in one way or another, it is depressing.

Best of Luck to Rod and family

Very sorry to see you change professions, Rod, but wish you the best!

Thanks guys

Im staying here to help out

Im going to do service calls from my house and being Mr. Mom for sending my wife back to prison.

She is A Fed Corrections officer and took some time off 4 years ago for us to finally have kids after 13 year of marriage.

After I get things cleared out of my store I will be posting some Oddball stuff that I want to get rid of here.

Again thanks for the well wishes.
One of our options is in about a year move out of California.
So who knows what I will be doing.

Thats terrible....my heart goes out to you Rod, your wife and family. You were one of the first ones I talked to in here and you had given me answers as a newbie back along that helped me. So sorry and I can imagine this was probably a decision that you agonized with. Hope to see you here at times giving more advice. Good luck and God Bless.

hearthtools said:

Well it sounds like you have earned a Vacation. Good luck with you next career option.

You had a wealth of info on your site. I used to check it out often. Your site helped me repair and service several stoves and I have to thank you for that. Glad your staying on here to guide us and keep us in-line.

Good luck and try to enjoy life.
jay

Best wishes with whatever you choose to do. Your posts are always very helpful...glad you'll be hanging around here.

Sorry to hear this. Doing service calls will surely still bring
in money. Might even work out for the better. Best of luck
to you and your family.

hearthtools said:
Thanks guys

Im staying here to help out

Im going to do service calls from my house and being Mr. Mom for sending my wife back to prison.

She is A Fed Corrections officer and took some time off 4 years ago for us to finally have kids after 13 year of marriage.

After I get things cleared out of my store I will be posting some Oddball stuff that I want to get rid of here.

Again thanks for the well wishes.
One of our options is in about a year move out of California.

Please forgive me if this is too forward and you don't have to answer this but, what are the business reasons for you having to close your doors?

I`d also like to wish Rod the best for the days ahead. Working out of the house might be a good move at that . He sure is a knowledgeable fellow and an real asset to the forum.
That video on his site regarding starting fires and the importance of near smokeless stove operation should be required reading and widely distributed. It was well done and very informative.
I noticed it featured a Pacific Energy stove. Surely one of the best non cat stoves made IMO. I had used one for 9 years and can attest to it`s smoke free operation . It`s still in use today (not by me) after 18 years and still works / looks new.

Rod,

You have helped me out a few times in the last year or so. Your online information and technical support you provided in this forum have helped many. Thank You.

I'm saddened to hear of the hardship you are experiencing. Best of luck to you and yours in all future endeavors.

As was once told to me in a business learning workshop, "Change can be good, it may not be better or worse....just different"

Once again, Thank You.

---Nailer---

cold front said:
Please forgive me if this is too forward and you don't have to answer this but, what are the business reasons for you having to close your doors?

Lack of it.
We have been busy with service but for the past year sales are down 60% and sales are what pays the 7k per month is just overhead to have a store front.
service calls pays for the trucks, fuel and employees only.

Realestate and construction out here are DEAD. and dont see it picking up anytime soon. with all the forclosers you can buy a $600k home for around $200 to $300
so I dont see much building going on soon.

with the sharp price increase in stoves and Installation material Average Joe just cant afford stoves.
We get a lot of traffic in the store but no one can afford a stove because of all the layoff and Job hour and pay cut backs.
Average Joe's are going out and buying USED CRAP and or BUYING CHEEP crap on the internet to save a few bucks.
Im selling stove at cost right now and most of the people buying are the ones coming in picking up stoves in Catalack escalades.

We are a small company with one local competitor (not doing very well either) and several in the big city (2 closed this year) and hour away.
so we are a small stove store. with about normal $500k in sales a year plus the internet biz.
A normal winter will will have 10 installs a week. We only sold 10 stoves from Oct to Jan. That does NOT PAY THE BILLS

The past two years my wife and I have build up some Major Medical bills

So I thought it was smart before I did not have a roof over my head anymore.

aww dang Rod!!! now im bummed big time, all i can say is the industry is losing a great member and your community a great local buisness. Dee (wife) and i wish you all the best in whatever you do. i have confidence that a quality individual such as you are will persevere. i hope you will still be around (in here) as your knowledge and professionalism is IMHO unparalleled. best of luck to you and yours, keep the chin up as even when somthing doesnt go your way , know that good things happen in due time to good people , and you my friend are among the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.