It's about time...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stegman

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2011
Sterling, MA
Finally finished my stacking for the year - seven cords for 2012-2013. It would have been done earlier, but I spent most of the fall building a shed [regular, not wood].

Attachments

• NotStacked.jpg
    NotStacked.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 380
  • stack.jpg
    stack.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 364
  • Stack2.jpg
    Stack2.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 359
Looks great Stegman, what are the different types of wood you have?

zap

zapny said:

zap

Thanks Zap. I'm not entirely sure what I have. This is all the stuff we inherited from the previous owners of the house. When we moved in in 2010 he had all this stuff stacked hard against a fence, four rows deep butt-ended up tight to one another with blue tarps over the top. I had to move all of this wood to the other side of the yard and reclaimed his original area as my go-to stacking location [see this thread here if you're truly interested: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74282/ ].

There's some oak in there, and probably a lot of maple. There's also some weird wood I've never seen before that has sort of a champagne colored bark. There's also some real gnarly stuff that I'm guessing might be elm. Some of it got punky due to his idiotic stacking method, but hopefully 12+ months out in the air/sun will be enough to make it useful.

Nice pile. Did you take that picture from a helicopter? That pile is huge.

Stegman said:
zapny said:

zap

Thanks Zap. I'm not entirely sure what I have. This is all the stuff we inherited from the previous owners of the house. When we moved in in 2010 he had all this stuff stacked hard against a fence, four rows deep butt-ended up tight to one another with blue tarps over the top. I had to move all of this wood to the other side of the yard and reclaimed his original area as my go-to stacking location [see this thread here if you're truly interested: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/74282/ ].

There's some oak in there, and probably a lot of maple. There's also some weird wood I've never seen before that has sort of a champagne colored bark. There's also some real gnarly stuff that I'm guessing might be elm. Some of it got punky due to his idiotic stacking method, but hopefully 12+ months out in the air/sun will be enough to make it useful.

Just looked at the link, very nice job on your stacking area.

zap

Stegman said:

Yes, talk about idiotic stacking. I got about 4 cords (mostly ash) from a neighbor who moved away. He had it tightly stacked together with a tarp all over it. I would swear the wood was more wet than freshly cut. Fortunately, only very few pieces were junk and needed to be tossed. The rest got some nice sun and air over the summer. I also got some punky stuff which went in a separate pile under top cover. Learned last summer that leaving it out in the rain will not dry it; it takes water like a sponge. However, once dry it's great to get the fire going.

My wife kept bugging me about covering the wood. I finally shut her off by saying I would cover it when she puts a tarp over her laundry. ;)

Backwoods said:
Nice pile. Did you take that picture from a helicopter? That pile is huge.

LOL. No the pictures were taken from the second floor window above the garage. It's where I have my home office, and everytime I go down the stairs I'd see that damn pile taunting me. It was actually bigger earlier in the summer. It extended further to the left.

I'm just glad it's finally gone.

Well chosen stacking location. You can see it & check it out daily. Makes you feel good to look at it ;)
Very nice stacking job.
Got picture of the "new shed" ? Storage, work, toy ?

Good work Stegman. You still have lots of time this winter to gather up wood for 2013-2014. You'll not be sorry for doing it.

Well, since you asked ...

Here's the shed, 90 percent done. Still have a few punch list items, and I'll be putting in another window in the spring. It holds my ATV, yard trailer, snowblower and lawnmower.

Attachments

• Shed MostlyDone.jpg
    Shed MostlyDone.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 207
Status
Not open for further replies.