It's Alive!!, CB 1200i

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PAV1

Feb 11, 2010
Northern, NJ
My decision to install the Quad, CB 1200i has finally come...Installation went well, and she is running great.. Few initial questions..

1) Thermostat Placement: 1st thing on my list is to ditch the chincy mechanical thermostat and replace with a digital/programmable one..However, more importantly I have questions on placement.. I always thought that you wanted to place it 10-20 feOUtet from the stove..but the tech today told me, that 1) I can not add wire to the thermostat, and 2) Best spot is directly above stove,,right by my mantle..Theory being that will register "true" room temperature better than on an opposite wall.. Thoughts/feedback/advice??

2) Surround: The standard surround is too short to cover the opening..will have to have larger one ordered.. Anyone have a guess on price difference? Just curious?

3) Outlet: The unit is plugged into a standard wall outlet, however is there a need to run this through a surge protector like any other high valued electronic device?

I have been squirilling about 6 different brands of pellets and will by my first ton following this...However Tractor supply by me is selling a 1T for $225..both Lignetics and Hardwood heat.. seems like a steal, right?

Lovin it so far..things throws off some nice heat..

Congrats PAV1,

We will need to see a picture of that install. Most say its a must here.

1.) I thought the Quad CB 1200 used a standard stat? Some one correct me if I am wrong. If so you can put the stat about any where in the house. Preferable on an interior wall centrally located in the house. But you will have to play around to find the ultimate spot. As all homes are different.

2.) Sorry no info for you

3.) I highly recommend the surge suppressor to protect the delicate electronics in the control panel.

$225 for Lignetics is a pretty good deal. But it all depends on the area you live in. Always good to check around just in case. But I wouldn't mind getting Lig's for $225 here in CT. myself!

Enjoy the heat and the new toy.
jay

I wouldn't put the stat right above the stove....I have mine on a side wall...approx 4 ft forward of the stove and 6 ft to the side...wherever you put it eventually you will figure out what temps to set it at for comfort (day and night!) and definitely make sure you at least have it on a powerbar with an UL or CSA listed surge protector.

Here is the before and after...as you can see, I need a larger surround to cover the opening completely..as well as some wire work...but all and all..great so far..

Also had to use the hearth riser which I like a lot more than I thought I would..

Attachments

• resize1.jpg
    resize1.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 284
The tech is flat out wrong on the stat wire. You can add as much wire as you want. Just remember that the thermostat is a switch. I have my stat wire go down into the basement and then back up in an interior wall almost 40 feet away from the stove. When the techs were here to do the install they checked it and told me that it was a great spot to put it. I have been running it for two seasons now and have not had a problem with stove.

Stove looks great PAV.

As far as the stat placement goes, whatever "tech" said you can't add wire to it isn't one I'd be listening to for much help with my stove. These stoves use a standard millivolt stat (with very few exceptions). You can add wire, and 15-20 ft isn't a problem. And do not place the stat above the stove....heat rising off of it will fool the stat into thinking the room is warm, when it isn't.

My advice is to find a spot about 15' away, and offset some so the hot air from the stove isn't blowing directly toward it. Mine is around a corner of a wall about 17' away, and works great.

Good luck, and enjoy the heat!

1) length does not matter on the T-stat wire but be careful on digital T-stats you need one that open and closes like a switch and not send a signal voltage.

2) Goto a metal fab shop and see if they can make a piece to fill in the void from behind.

3) You need a surge protector or you'll void the warranty.

PAV1 said:
I have 3 of these thermostats for my oil/hotwater baseboard.. Wondering if it will work w/ my 1200i?

Anyone know for sure?? It said for a 24v system, but I'm not sure if it will work..I think somone said it needs to be for a 12v system...I know it has a switch, as I can hear it turn on/off at desire temp

http://yourhome.honeywell.com/home/Products/Thermostats/5-2-Day-Programmable/RTH230B.htm

I think that will work just fine. Just make sure it says it's for a millivolt system too....some stats can be set to do either.

No, no need for anything that's 12v.

The online manual says it will work for millivolt systems. It's a nice thermostat, I have several of them in my hot water system.

Thanks everyone..quick run to Lowe's, $39 later, and the stove is running fine...much better... Now I will just have run the wire down through the basement and snake it up through the wall.

Thanks for all the feedback...

Status
Not open for further replies.