It's Alive

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff_t

Minister of Fire
Sep 14, 2008
SE MI
I'll not bore anybody with praises of the Blaze King, because it is boring. Fill it up and forget it for a long time. Just some before and after pics.

I've actually thrown some Tyvek up, and I'll take care of the siding in the spring. Also going to pour a concrete patio where the deck was, about 20'x40'.

Then and now...

Attachments

• 1320446036893.jpg
    1320446036893.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 516
  • 1320446031752.jpg
    1320446031752.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 539
  • 1320446042667.jpg
    1320446042667.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 517
  • 1323812394117.jpg
    1323812394117.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 541
Congratulations Jeff.

Never get bored hearing about good burning stoves irregardlous of the make.That is a nice setup and install.

That's alot more than a typical install. Demo/rebuild house project on top of a stove install. Yikes! Glad to see you buttoned up for the winter and ready to heat your place.

I'd say that taking out the old chimneys was a little over ambitious, but it sure looks nice!

It's been a 'journey' to say the least. I had a pretty good idea what I was going to find. I knew the roof leaked around both chimneys over the years (my father built the house, and things kinda went to hell after my mom died). I was expecting lots of rotted wood, and I wasn't disappointed. They terracotta liners in both chimneys were junk. There hadn't been a fire in the fireplace in at least 30 years, and I can't believe there was never a fire resulting from the wood stove vented into the other one.

I'm done outside for the winter. Got a lot of trim work to do, and some more painting. I think I'll relax and enjoy the warmth for a while. Then maybe cut some wood.

That big stove looks tiny on that huge stove pad! i think I would have put the stove closer to the walls and sized the pad down.

Awesome, awesome job !!!!!

Can't wait for fired up pics :)

NATE379 said:
That big stove looks tiny on that huge stove pad! i think I would have put the stove closer to the walls and sized the pad down.

Ha! I was thinking it was REALLY big, then we sat the stove on it. It's in a big room, and actually looks just right. Also, the foundation from the fireplace sits out in the room about 18", and is 78" long, so I made the hearth 7x7, and it covers up the concrete foundation. I put the chimney where it is without cutting any rafters or using any offsets, just straight up.

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Awesome, awesome job !!!!!

Can't wait for fired up pics :)

Umm, it is fired up. Maybe we'll get some cold weather and I'll actually see a flame.

And thanks for the compliment. I'll not post any closeup of the joints. That corner was far from square, and my framing didn't end up as square as it should have. Let's say it's 'rustic' :)

Stove looks just right to me. From someone who has lived the Tyvek siding thing, I recommend screwing some 2x4s or strips of plywood in vertically every few feet to keep from losing it this winter if you get any wind there.

I think it looks great, good job! I plan to step up to a King if I ever expand my family room like I want.

Thanks, all. It's definitely a big stove, and it takes a big room. My house totals around 1600 ft², but living room/dining room/kitchen are all open and add up to about 1100 of that.

If anyone is looking, http://www.vermontslatedepot.com/ has some really good stuff. Price with shipping put it between the Chinese and Indian slate from the box stores and a higher quality Brazilian slate from a good flooring shop. This is top quality Vermont slate, quarried here at home, so it was a no-brainer for me. Their customer service is also first rate. I had four tiles damaged in transit, and one more that was just split down the middle. No problem, they shipped me five replacements via FedEx and got them in two days. And when I ordered it, I got involved in conversation with the guy and never got a total price. When I checked my account, the charge was actually almost $100 less than I expected. Cost around $5/ft², shipped.

ohlongarm said:
Never get bored hearing about good burning stoves irregardlous of the make.That is a nice setup and install.

Since you asked for it. I loaded it up with ash at 1am yesterday before work. With the mild temps yesterday and overnight, my wife didn't touch it. I got home an hour ago, 36 hours later, to a 250° stovetop, and a bunch of charcoal chunks. I opened the thermostat and pulled the coals together and threw a couple of uglies on top. That will last until this evening, then we'll start over again.

Wow Jeff. That should have roasted you out with the temperatures as they are.

Backwoods Savage said:

I don't know what it was like yesterday, I was gone overnight. Wife said it was a little warm, but not bad. 70-71 in here right now. Outside temp is dropping slowly and the wind is blowing about 30mph.

Right Jeff. I had to be away a bit this morning and when I came back the wife had started a small fire. However, before I left I took out a couple of windows for her that she was washing. With that wind, the house was cooling fast. I was gone only a couple hours and the temperature fell 6 degrees in that time. I could cut some wood today but not in this wind, thank you. I can wait.

Backwoods Savage said:

Nah, these stoves on low aren't much more than an electric space heater. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.