Its all got to go! Chapter 3.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
8 states away and raining on the parade. Good work. I love the internet.

Im not sure how long your measuring tape is but we are the minimum 15 ft away.
by my math you will need at least 3.8 million feet of tape. Feelings not hurt at all. Just sayin....

So the answer to the original question is yes there is a buffer?

If you like good fishing and hunting in the area, leave a good sized buffer from the stream. That doesn't mean you can't take out any trees, but clear cutting the area within about 100 ft of the stream will likely end up in a reduction of the things that make living in the country worthwhile. Think of them as natural highways for lots of different animals. Take out the dead wood and maybe weed species, but leave the strong, native shade trees.

Begreen....as a hunter, I agree. Replanting another area nearby is also a viable option for the owner. We can't all make decisions.
Im just there for wood and friendship. Ohyea, and to run saws.

Oh its private land on both sides I don't make the rules here! If your want an envormental argument take it up with your state Rep. You have no Clue from that Photo what your talking about...............But if you want to put your boots on the ground PLEASE DO other wish have a great day.....

BeGreen said:
If you like good fishing and hunting in the area, leave a good sized buffer from the stream. That doesn't mean you can't take out any trees, but clear cutting the area within about 100 ft of the stream will likely end up in a reduction of the things that make living in the country worthwhile. Think of them as natural highways for lots of different animals. Take out the dead wood and maybe weed species, but leave the strong, native shade trees.

There a enough to choke a fricken horse here....Boots on the ground is worth more than a cell phone pic....

I am not here to answer question on whats right or wrong, but can tell any happy butt setting at home to show up and look or you have no clue!

Who is arguing? I didn't make any assumptions about the picture, which is why I asked. All the loggers I have worked with are meticulous about BMP's whether they were working private timber, federal, or state lands. I'm sure you are the same.

We have been open to all to come and join. Please show up and see for yourself, bring a saw. We'll see you there.

Damn for a while I thought I was gonna have to say all that myself. See you all Sunday.

Bocefus78 said:
Damn for a while I thought I was gonna have to say all that myself. See you all Sunday.

lol anyone talking crap with a cell phone pic is talking crap!

smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:

There a enough to choke a fricken horse here....Boots on the ground is worth more than a cell phone pic....

Awesome, then use some commonsense and pull back from the water. Lots of wood means this is an easy choice. No big deal, right?

see everyone sunday.

BeGreen said:
smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:

Awesome, then use some commonsense and pull back from the water. Lots of wood means this is an easy choice. No big deal, right?

Yep

Cool. Sounds like a really nice way to gather wood. Have a great day and be safe.

smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:
smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:
leave the strong, native shade trees.

There a enough to choke a fricken horse here.....

commonsense and pull back from the water. Lots of wood means this is an easy choice.

Yep
2. When harvesting trees in RMZs, minimize disturbance of the forest floor and
leave adequate tree stocking to shade the stream. Retain at least a 50%, well-distributed
canopy cover in the RMZ of perennial watercourses.

I don't think they'll be clear cutting the area, so meeting this recommendation should be no problem; It's the next one that could be tough:

7. Avoid operating wheeled or tracked equipment within RMZs and watercourses.

You are going to get plenty of exercise slogging 8 cords of wood up out of there on sleds.
If you guys don't feel like expending that much energy, not to worry. Since I have to make it by 9:00 AM from Southern IN, I'll be flying my chopper up there. We'll just airlift the logs out. :lol:

smokinjay, you could rename this thread "50% of it's got to go!" :lol:

MMaul is going to have to go some to top his previous feat of the near-miss on the splitter. If he could miss somebody's truck by that much, now that would be impressive.

Seriously, have fun and work safe. Wish I were a little closer, it sounds like a blast. :coolsmile:

Woody Stover said:
smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:
smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:
leave the strong, native shade trees.

There a enough to choke a fricken horse here.....

commonsense and pull back from the water. Lots of wood means this is an easy choice.

Yep
2. When harvesting trees in RMZs, minimize disturbance of the forest floor and
leave adequate tree stocking to shade the stream. Retain at least a 50%, well-distributed
canopy cover in the RMZ of perennial watercourses.

I don't think they'll be clear cutting the area, so meeting this recommendation should be no problem; It's the next one that could be tough:

7. Avoid operating wheeled or tracked equipment within RMZs and watercourses.

You are going to get plenty of exercise slogging 8 cords of wood up out of there on sleds.
If you guys don't feel like expending that much energy, not to worry. Since I have to make it by 9:00 AM from Southern IN, I'll be flying my chopper up there. We'll just airlift the logs out. :lol:

smokinjay, you could rename this thread "50% of it's got to go!" :lol:

MMaul is going to have to go some to top his previous feat of the near-miss on the splitter. If he could miss somebody's truck by that much, now that would be impressive.

Seriously, have fun and work safe. Wish I were a little closer, it sounds like a blast. :coolsmile:

Now MMAul splitter shot worth talking about...(if I didnt know he was going to hit it) This area is going to be a Public Picnic area. I am dont the smartest saw guy out there but I sure as hell can see the ribbons on the keepers! ;-)

How much snow do you guys have and how are you moving the material? I haven't even bothered moving last years splits the 50' to the shed the past few weeks.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
Who is arguing? I didn't make any assumptions about the picture, which is why I asked. All the loggers I have worked with are meticulous about BMP's whether they were working private timber, federal, or state lands. I'm sure you are the same.

There alot going on that not been said or you can get from a pic. I was told to drop everything but the tree's with ribbons. (that you cant see on the pic) This is a small town prodject and there calling the shots! Another thing you cant see is a wire fence thats are stopping point. Another than that the town rep's would be the answer people for this stuff.
I can answer these questions I didnt lay it out but seems to be some thought into it, if you just look at the ribbons flapping in the wind.

~*~Kathleen~*~ said:
So the answer to the original question is yes there is a buffer?

Really we are thinking felling bucking loading only...Thats why they have ribbons for us where not that smart. :coolsmile: Tape measure lol

SolarAndWood said:
How much snow do you guys have and how are you moving the material? I haven't even bothered moving last years splits the 50' to the shed the past few weeks.

This is the hard part. We are felling up the hill the closest we can get it to the exit point. Then its carrying it to the splitter and throwing it up hill to trailers and trucks.

20-25 cord range of locust and hedge.

smokinjay said:
20-25 cord range of locust and hedge.

Wish I was closer. I would happily trade some tractor time for a piece of that action.

Status
Not open for further replies.