Its all got to go! Chapter 3.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
20-25 cord range of locust and hedge.

Wish I was closer. I would happily trade some tractor time for a piece of that action.

I am in Indiana cant beleave one has not showed up...Going to try and take my little jd135 with chains.

smokinjay said:
I am in Indiana cant beleave one has not showed up

Kind of tough. Figure this time of year with the snow we've had, it needs to be at least a couple ton and 4WD to be in the game. Much bigger than that and you are beyond what you can tow with a pickup and trailer. I moved my buddies older 4 ton 2WD JD so that I could use his Farmi winch a couple years ago. Between losing a tire on the trailer and pulling a load that was right at the edge of what I could tow with my 3/4 ton truck, let alone in the winter, I decided it wasn't worth doing again. At some point, I need to see if my 29hp PTO is enough to drive his 601.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:

Kind of tough. Figure this time of year with the snow we've had, it needs to be at least a couple ton and 4WD to be in the game. Much bigger than that and you are beyond what you can tow with a pickup and trailer. I moved my buddies older 4 ton 2WD JD so that I could use his Farmi winch a couple years ago. Between losing a tire on the trailer and pulling a load that was right at the edge of what I could tow with my 3/4 ton truck, let alone in the winter, I decided it wasn't worth doing again. At some point, I need to see if my 29hp PTO is enough to drive his 601.

Yea I know....lol good atv would handle this hill. (with chains) My jd may do it 20 cubic foot at a time. Trucks cant get turn around once they get the the bottom. The other side we can lay them tree's right on the landing zone but the length of the tree on a 30 degree hill make it tough. Still running a cord an hour with one splitter on this ground and locust. Once where able to deal with this hill cord and a half or better.

BeGreen said:
smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:
If you like good fishing and hunting in the area, leave a good sized buffer from the stream. That doesn't mean you can't take out any trees, but clear cutting the area within about 100 ft of the stream will likely end up in a reduction of the things that make living in the country worthwhile. Think of them as natural highways for lots of different animals. Take out the dead wood and maybe weed species, but leave the strong, native shade trees.

There a enough to choke a fricken horse here....Boots on the ground is worth more than a cell phone pic....

Awesome, then use some commonsense and pull back from the water. Lots of wood means this is an easy choice. No big deal, right?

With over 15,000 lakes and 44,000 miles of rivers and streams in WI (#'s from WI DNR web site http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/division/yow/rivers.htm) we are not allowed to cut anywhere without trenching in a silt fence right next to the water. After we're done cutting we are required to remove the fence and replant the area.

Der Fiur Meister said:
BeGreen said:
smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:
If you like good fishing and hunting in the area, leave a good sized buffer from the stream. That doesn't mean you can't take out any trees, but clear cutting the area within about 100 ft of the stream will likely end up in a reduction of the things that make living in the country worthwhile. Think of them as natural highways for lots of different animals. Take out the dead wood and maybe weed species, but leave the strong, native shade trees.

There a enough to choke a fricken horse here....Boots on the ground is worth more than a cell phone pic....

Awesome, then use some commonsense and pull back from the water. Lots of wood means this is an easy choice. No big deal, right?

With over 15,000 lakes and 44,000 miles of rivers and streams in WI (#'s from WI DNR web site http://dnr.wi.gov/org/water/division/yow/rivers.htm) we are not allowed to cut anywhere without trenching in a silt fence right next to the water. After we're done cutting we are required to remove the fence and replant the area.

I don't claim to know any of this. I am just the saw guy Looking for tree's that don't have ribbons on them. I am sure the Towns people who mark the tree's is aware of whats going on. There seems to be a pattern to the ribbons. Fence that runs along the river is well over 20 feet Nothing is being cut in that area on this run. Who know what they will do in another 5 years. This is the 2nd major cut for this area.

smokinjay said:
Der Fiur Meister said:
BeGreen said:
smokinjay said:
BeGreen said:

I don't claim to know any of this. I am just the saw guy Looking for tree's that don't have ribbons on them. I am sure the Towns people who mark the tree's is aware of whats going on. There seems to be a pattern to the ribbons. Fence that runs along the river is well over 20 feet Nothing is being cut in that area on this run. Who know what they will do in another 5 years. This is the 2nd major cut for this area.

I should have added a smiley face. I was just making fun of the way some people think they have the answers. There are 15,000 lakes and 44,000 miles of rivers in WI. And that doesn't even take the swaps and marshes into consideration. If you apply the kind of logic that some do we wouldn't be able to cut a single tree. The rest of the "regulations and requirements" I made up. There are no requirements to use silt fence.

Enjoy the warm weather, cutting wood with your friends and don't be bothered by anyone who would spoil it.

I'm a tree hugger too. I like to hug each log just before I toss it into the fire....... :lol:

Well I am not going to partake in the argueing that is going on I have cleared many a fence for farmers and the wild life are still in the area, my wall is proof of that LOL Any way I will be there before 9am with a splitter, trailer, atv, saws, chains, and a sore back due to cutting 5 trailer loads already of osage, black locust and hackberry this week Yipppe its been a great week! And its not over yet!!!!!

Naandme said:
Well I am not going to partake in the argueing that is going on I have cleared many a fence for farmers and the wild life are still in the area, my wall is proof of that LOL Any way I will be there before 9am with a splitter, trailer, atv, saws, chains, and a sore back due to cutting 5 trailer loads already of osage, black locust and hackberry this week Yipppe its been a great week! And its not over yet!!!!!

LOL, You ROCK!

So are we skidding logs up the hill w. the atv? I don't think I'll be able to pull out this time.

Bocefus78 said:
So are we skidding logs up the hill w. the atv? I don't think I'll be able to pull out this time.

We getter done! lol May be a couple options.

SolarAndWood said:
smokinjay said:
At some point, I need to see if my 29hp PTO is enough to drive his 601.
That 29hp pto will work fine. Once you get them up to the tractor is where you might have the problem. I have to load my bucket with wood for front wt. and still have a lite front sometimes if the load is to big. But those fammi's are the real thing.
Wish I was closer cause it would be fun to just yank those trees right up that grade. Just trim the small limbs where they fall and pull the tree where you want to cut it up. No brush to work around. I've got most of mine at the landing now but with 2ft of snow on the ground here it,s time to let it settle before I do any more. Just two much work wadding in that much snow. Just pulling out the cable takes the wind out of you in that much snow. Tractor will go with chains and all but I'll wait for this 40* weather to make it easier. If I was closer I bet we could have them all up to the landing and in log length by evening.
Isn't there any one near that has a skidder?
leaddog

looks like a good time again
watch out for the ice it's still under there
take some pics and be careful

mecreature said:

Does that mean your not coming?

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:

I'll be there if y'all take it easy on me

that is the best wood inmy stacks[del][/del]

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
mecreature said:

I'll be there if y'all take it easy on me

that is the best wood inmy stacks[del][/del]

Sweet.

Jay call me 748-9731 cant find directions 748-9731

Naandme said:

BIG DOG SHOWING! HP IN The House..........

Naandme said:

Atv Won the Day!

Had a great time meet some really great guys and got some nice wood a PERFECT day!!

Yes, it was a good time, good people, and a great day weather wise. The ATV was absolutely awseome. Of course hauling some locust home doesn't hurt my feelings either. Now if only I could see the ground so I can begin stacking this stuff......Can't wait until next time!

thanks again Jay...

had a great time. Got everything unloaded and on skids... I took it easy on the ride home. And stopped along the way and ate, got some chocolates and flowers for the wife... and a snoopy candy heart for the kid.

every thing is right with the world.

taking county roads all the way home lets you see all the little diners along the way. I would love to stop by and taste the local food at a few of them sometime.

mecreature said:
thanks again Jay...

had a great time. Got everything unloaded and on skids... I took it easy on the ride home. And stopped along the way and ate, got some chocolates and flowers for the wife... and a snoopy candy heart for the kid.

taking county roads all the way home lets you see all the little diners along the way. I would love to stop by and taste the local food at a few of them sometime.

Yea Like my house! Beans corn bread and fried potato's.....Where ready when we got there! Wasn't thinking you should have followed us.

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
thanks again Jay...

Yea Like my house! Beans corn bread and fried potato's.....Where ready when we got there! Wasn't thinking you should have followed us.

WOW...Sounds great... but follow way behind.. LOL

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
thanks again Jay...

WOW...Sounds great... but follow way behind.. LOL She does something to these beans Good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.