It's almost time......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dylskee

Feeling the Heat
Sep 28, 2008
Central MA
Got the first 3 cords delivered last weekend and I'll have another 2 delivered in September, it's almost time to start burning! It's been a beautiful August here in Central Mass, warm and dry during the day and cool at night. Leaves are already starting to change so it won't be long...... Started moving the wood to it's location, up the hill and around the back of the house. This time I used a little Irish ingenuity to save some time. :)
IMG_2395.JPG

My grandmother had one of those carts. It's still sitting at my parents in the shed. I can't quite justify it for my yard. I can see its potential if the wood was further away and had to come up a hill though.

Nice little machine you've got there. I hate having to load the wheelbarrow up and move wood around to the back of the house. Bad enough I have to bend to load it up. That definitely is a good idea that someone thought of. Hard to justify buying, but as I get older...

A pulp hook will save you on the bending. Highly recommend if your back says no more.
I'm still learning. What exactly is a pulp hook?

The DR equipment company is in Charlotte, Vermont.
They sell all kinds of stuff. I have their walk behind brushhogs and their walk behind string trimmers.
Great company.

Pulp hooks are great but these are even greater! Now that I have a pair, I'd really hate to be without one. Saves a lot of bending. They come in 2 sizes and we have just the large one and they will still grab a 4" log easily so I would see no need for the smaller set.
Log tongs.jpg

Pulp hooks are great but these are even greater! Now that I have a pair, I'd really hate to be without one. Saves a lot of bending. They come in 2 sizes and we have just the large one and they will still grab a 4" log easily so I would see no need for the smaller set.
View attachment 108760
Dennis, this looks even better than the pulp hook, for what I have in mind. Can you please tell me where I could get them, and what are they called?

Al, they are called Log Tongs.

You can get them through any Husquarna dealer but may have to order them. We got ours from Bailey's (online) when they sent us a sale brochure giving us almost free shipping. Amazon I think has them too.

There are several companies that make them but I believe the Huskee's are the best ones. Looks like they should last about 3 lifetimes at least.

I mentioned less bending with these and was serious. If lifting perhaps a 5" log, you might bend the knees just a little depending on your heiight. My wife, being a short person, does not have to bend at all. On the bigger and heavier logs, if you must lift them, using 2 of them really makes the lifting much easier because you can use both the knees and some leverage.....but there are still limits. lol

Looking good, Dylskee! I'm assuming this wood is for next year, if I'm not mistaken you already have this years' wood stacked and ready to go, no?

Reactions: NortheastAl
Al, they are called Log Tongs.

You can get them through any Husquarna dealer but may have to order them. We got ours from Bailey's (online) when they sent us a sale brochure giving us almost free shipping. Amazon I think has them too.

There are several companies that make them but I believe the Huskee's are the best ones. Looks like they should last about 3 lifetimes at least.

I mentioned less bending with these and was serious. If lifting perhaps a 5" log, you might bend the knees just a little depending on your heiight. My wife, being a short person, does not have to bend at all. On the bigger and heavier logs, if you must lift them, using 2 of them really makes the lifting much easier because you can use both the knees and some leverage.....but there are still limits. lol

I found them, Dennis. They look super strong. I think I will get the pair of 12". Just have to wait for a few weeks. I blew the budget on a MS 270 yesterday. Figured it was the right saw for what I'll use it for. Should come in in about a week.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Naw, we have aways to go before it's time to start burning-it's going to be pushing 90 here mid-week. I'm sure it gets cooler up there faster than down here, but I'm looking at at least 2 months yet before I start.

I know that you are excited but don't rush it, son! ;lol

Reactions: dylskee
Looking good, Dylskee! I'm assuming this wood is for next year, if I'm not mistaken you already have this years' wood stacked and ready to go, no?
Thanks Scotty! I do have about 1-1/2 cords but this stuff I bought this year is already seasoned so I should be able to dip into it this year. I am going to build a wood shed next spring and I plan on staying ahead on the wood piles. The wood I'm still using is from my old wood stove, it had a much bigger firebox than my Fireview. So I have to trim the wood down to use it, it sounds tedious but it goes pretty quick once I get going.

Naw, we have aways to go before it's time to start burning-it's going to be pushing 90 here mid-week. I'm sure it gets cooler up there faster than down here, but I'm looking at at least 2 months yet before I start.

I know that you are excited but don't rush it, son! ;lol

LOL!! Still very warm up here as well, my burning season kicks in full swing in November but I'm sure it's going to start in October this year. We've been having pretty cool temps for August that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.