It's been a while

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowningBAR

Minister of Fire
Jul 22, 2008
San Tan Valley, AZ
A car just took out an electrical pole, mail box, two trees, bounced into the oncoming lane and flip over into the ditch. Driver got out and ran into the field. It's currently 30 degrees out and over 2 miles from the nearest public phone.

Drunk drivers around here are an amazing this to witness around here.

Unfortunately, it's kind of like celebrity deaths, usually come in threes. Meaning, we have two more coming our way.

good thing you have a wood stove, since the power must've gone out..........

-Soupy1957

Browning that was one of the problems of Doylestown, well, at least 20 years ago. All that they had was Car dealers, bars, and the courthouse. It's been a while since I have been in town but..... thats the way it was in the past.

Well, luckily he (or she) didn't kill some young family along the way.

BrowningBAR said:
A car just took out an electrical pole, mail box, two trees, bounced into the oncoming lane and flip over into the ditch. Driver got out and ran into the field. It's currently 30 degrees out and over 2 miles from the nearest public phone.

Unfortunately, it's kind of like celebrity deaths, usually come in threes. Meaning, we have two more coming our way.

Hahaha. Reminds me of when I was growing up...my neighbor down the road had a full time job working nights at the factory, and was a full time farmer during the day. He took out the power poles a couple times when he fell asleep driving the tractor down the road.

soupy1957 said:
good thing you have a wood stove, since the power must've gone out..........

-Soupy1957

Two things impressive about this:

1. Never lost power.

2. The pole was replaced and everything cleaned up and reconnected by the time I woke up this morning.

BrowningBAR said:

Actually, this makes number two. I forgot about the drunk that wrecked just passed my driveway on a Saturday afternoon in October. In her defense, she might not have been drunk, it could have been Meth.

shawneyboy said:
Browning that was one of the problems of Doylestown, well, at least 20 years ago. All that they had was Car dealers, bars, and the courthouse. It's been a while since I have been in town but..... thats the way it was in the past.

I've only lived in this area for five years, so I'm not sure what it was like back in the early 90s. Best way to describe Doylestown is that it is like a little smaller version of New Hope. The "downtown" area has a lot of shops and bars. But, all the way up and down 611 are a a lot of taverns were the locals 'fuel up'. This state has a TON of taverns.

I'm on a back road (still a state road) that people use to get from one main road to the other. It's a pretty good road to speed on unless you forget about the hard curve that takes place just before my property. That's when the drunks (and not drunks, at times) lose it.

Luckily, due to the laws of physics, my home is never in danger of being hit. Me neighbor across the street, on the other hand, has had about 30 insurance claims in the last 20 years.

Jack Straw said:
Well, luckily he (or she) didn't kill some young family along the way.

So far, only one indecent involving another car since I've been here. I don't remember the outcome since I wasn't awake for it.

My parents live at the intersection of two county roads where folks blow the stop sign frequently. We lost power more from people taking out poles than from storms. One time a local drunk managed to plow through (and I do mean through-it was like someone cut the pole at the base and about halfway up and removed it. The top piece was suspended in mid air by the wires) a pole, bend a 3" thick steel sign post at a 90 degree angle, and completely obliterate two newspaper vending boxes. When the cops got there the car was on a neighbor's lawn and the guy was laying on the ground passed out-not a scratch on him. The corner where it all happened was our bus stop-we were finding quarters in the grass for weeks :lol:

So . . . uh . . . he took down two trees . . . you cut them up yet? ;) :)

firefighterjake said:
So . . . uh . . . he took down two trees . . . you cut them up yet? ;) :)

It was 2am. The trees were soft wood. It was cold out. I was tired. Screw it.

:)

Badfish740 said:
My parents live at the intersection of two county roads where folks blow the stop sign frequently. We lost power more from people taking out poles than from storms. One time a local drunk managed to plow through (and I do mean through-it was like someone cut the pole at the base and about halfway up and removed it. The top piece was suspended in mid air by the wires) a pole, bend a 3" thick steel sign post at a 90 degree angle, and completely obliterate two newspaper vending boxes. When the cops got there the car was on a neighbor's lawn and the guy was laying on the ground passed out-not a scratch on him. The corner where it all happened was our bus stop-we were finding quarters in the grass for weeks :lol:

The first winter we were in this place, the Friday afternoon after Thanksgiving, a woman over shot the corner, drove through that same mail box, took out three pine trees, launched her Ford Expedition into the air and came down onto the stone wall of the neighbor's porch. I come outside to see a smoking Expedition teetering on the porch wall with a frantic, and surprisingly sober, woman trying to get out of the car while her seat belt was still on.

Status
Not open for further replies.