It's Coming!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 28, 2012
Vermont
Up here in Vermont I've already seen many trees starting to turn color...lot's of reds and oranges. Seems a little early but it's certainly a sign that you had better start getting prepared and clean that stove and order those pellets (if you haven't already). I'm hoping for more snow and less bone-chilling cold up here in New England!!!

You're nar bit excited I knows...lol

Yeah, I'm going to rush right out there. The rental center/auto body shop near me have pallets in front of their shop so I'll swing by for some pellets and an air freshener for the car. Wonder why they suddenly got into the pellet business?

FWIW I have not seen any color change near me in southern Vermont. Not rushing into buying pellets just yet-not ready to think about winter

I don't know about a dry summer...up here in Central VT it's been one of the wettest summers on record, especially for the whole month of June...seemed like we got rain every day so I don't know how much stock I'd put into the dry weather theory, at least up here where i live :).

Michael6268 in accordance with your knowledge you just bestowed it makes sense that as Fall draws near the days are getting shorter as Winter comes soon after so that is the reason the leaves are beginning to turn...not because they are too dry...at least up here in Central/Northern VT. It does seem like Summer just started a couple weeks ago though...sheez...lol.

There are two reasons leaves change color. Lack of water and lack of light. As days get shorter photosynthesis is lessened. It has nothing to do with winter or cold weather.

It's the same thing every year. Oh, all the rain/cold/heat/solar flares/etc. this year has the trees turning early/late. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to see how thick the coat is on my woolly caterpillar so I know when it's going to snow. And just so you know, I just saw a flock of squirrels flying to their winter home in Boca so it's going to get much colder this winter as opposed to this summer.

Michael6268 in accordance with your knowledge you just bestowed it makes sense that as Fall draws near the days are getting shorter as Winter comes soon after so that is the reason the leaves are beginning to turn...not because they are too dry...at least up here in Central/Northern VT. It does seem like Summer just started a couple weeks ago though...sheez...lol.

Well of course it's coming! So is "spring"! Its not coming any sooner because the leaves are changing now.
And in most areas "except Vermont", a big part of it is the dryness.

there's a few smaller tree's turning here, see leaves on people lawns, very little rain in over a month here in CT

Up here in Vermont I've already seen many trees starting to turn color...lot's of reds and oranges. Seems a little early but it's certainly a sign that you had better start getting prepared and clean that stove and order those pellets (if you haven't already). I'm hoping for more snow and less bone-chilling cold up here in New England!!!

Saw a couple of trees turning in MA last week.........

Bob

There are two reasons leaves change color. Lack of water and lack of light. As days get shorter photosynthesis is lessened. It has nothing to do with winter or cold weather.

and there's no santa / easter bunny. Right..............some people just take all the fun out of things :)

Another load of Balsam fir home.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 143
and there's no santa / easter bunny. Right..............some people just take all the fun out of things :)
Tell me about it English Bob, I started what I thought was an innocent light-hearted thread and some people are taking it way too personally/seriously and getting downright snippy about it...sheez :rolleyes:. Those of us who live in States that get an actual winter...you know, snow and below zero temps...the whole 9 yards...we obviously know when the real heating season begins (usually the end of October - beginning of November up here in VT...of course that doesn't mean it's an every day occurrence at that time but there are a few nights certainly that you're firing up the stove) and while I was saying that the leaves are turning color already and it seems early I'm not saying it's early like 2 months early...more like a couple of weeks...and while it's been extremely dry in some other States which may cause premature color changes in the leaves that is not the case where I live specifically. I wasn't trying to start a peeing contest ;lol.

Well ... I'm definitely living in the wrong place as I could fire the stove up today;hm 67F in the front room but very windy and rainy today.
Any excuse to have the stove going I'd say :D

Well ... I'm definitely living in the wrong place as I could fire the stove up today;hm 67F in the front room but very windy and rainy today.
It's 62F in my front room.

Winter is coming. ..

I can guarantee all of you that that is an accurate and true statement.

The exact timing is a harder one to nail down.

My work estimates are now dated, "Before snow flies,or at least starts piling up"

And I see lots of pellet trucks on the highway.

Our wood is stacked at both houses, pipes are cleaned. Hearth in CT is still durarock and I'm starting to wonder if I'll get to it this year. .... (don't tell my wife I said that).

Before you could depend on department stores bringing out their seasonal items 2 months before a season... 3 weeks ago Costco had their Christmas stuff out already..so much for that theory.

The leaves are not changing here..we had a COLD July (we broke a 120 year old record for the coldest week on record in July for my area) and the heat has now arrived. The bugs are terrible! Normally there are NO bugs at this time of the year.

And we all know what is coming in 4 months + 6 days... SANTA!

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.