It's down to two pellet stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sculptor

Sep 22, 2009
central nc
I'm trying to decide from the Englander 10-cpm or the quadra fire classic bay 1200. Both are free standing. I have a 6" chimney liner in the masonry fireplace but may just end up venting it out the back depending on what the installer says when he sees it.

The quad is a 5 yr old showroom model never been fired up. The dealer said he would sell it for $2000 out the door, that includes the adapter kit, and the installer is coming out tomorrow to look over what I have and said he will advise me on my own install or install it for $200.

The englander is at home depot waiting for me for $2,499. I contacted a different installer that would install for $250 + parts. But the englander does come with the vent kit for free.

decisions....decisions.... :question:

Thanks in advance for your input!

The dealer say the quad comes with a full warranty. *Limited Lifetime Warranty. It has never been installed and says the warranty come with it.

The home depot has the standard *Limited warranty of 5 years on firebox and 1 year on electrical components.

Thanks! See ya at 6PM.

Both pretty good stoves, I owned a Quad 800(well I still have it, But I kind of wore it out in 8 years) Ran great and never put 2 much money into it. Think I only had to replace a snap disk and the termal couple.

The Englanders have a good rep too! And we have Mike Holton in the forums with us for support! And it is a multifuel stove!

Tough choice. But I would lean to the Englander, Just slightly.

jay

I`d be leaning to the Englander for the service factor alone but if your dealer is a rare good one then that issue is moot.
$2K for a new Quad sounds enticing. Tough call either way.

Gio said:
I`d be leaning to the Englander for the service factor alone but if your dealer is a rare good one then that issue is moot. $2K for a new Quad sounds enticing. Tough call either way.

$2k for a "new" 2004 model? Not me. There's a reason it's been sitting there all this time, regardless what he tells you. Walk in there w/ $1500 cash (if you really want a 5 yr. old stove), and I'm betting dollars to doughnuts you'll walk out w/ it.

The 10-CPM Englander can be had on EBay that has been refurbed to like new condition by Mike Holton, and is from $1295-1695 w/ free shipping. And at most, it will only be 1 yr old. And as Jtakemen has mentioned, it's a multi-fuel unit...the Quad is not.

There's actually a brand new one on there now for $1295 that has a little dent in the side panel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Mul...3ef8c68518&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2094wt_953

quad has a better heat exchanger i think, but either are relatively simple to use/work on..

macman said:
Gio said:
I`d be leaning to the Englander for the service factor alone but if your dealer is a rare good one then that issue is moot. $2K for a new Quad sounds enticing. Tough call either way.

$2k for a "new" 2004 model? Not me. There's a reason it's been sitting there all this time, regardless what he tells you. Walk in there w/ $1500 cash (if you really want a 5 yr. old stove), and I'm betting dollars to doughnuts you'll walk out w/ it.

The 10-CPM Englander can be had on EBay that has been refurbed to like new condition by Mike Holton, and is from $1295-1695 w/ free shipping. And at most, it will only be 1 yr old. And as Jtakemen has mentioned, it's a multi-fuel unit...the Quad is not.

There's actually a brand new one on there now for $1295 that has a little dent in the side panel:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TimberRidge-Mul...3ef8c68518&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_2094wt_953

OOH! Now that`s a real deal on the 10CPM. I didn`t know the refurbed ones were available .

macman said:
Gio said:

I took your advise when you gave it to me in the post where I posted the pictures, except I offered $1600 and he refused. His reasoning is that it comes with the gold door/ and grill kit options so it is already $1000 off the price. I do have to say that I have called the other pellet stove dealer with 45 miles of where I live and they only have one for me to look at in the showroom (Mt Vernon). Her comment was also we don't sell many of the pellet/multi-fuel stoves...but we can order them. I love option you gave me with ebay...thanks! I did give pause to the term "factory second" though.

I'm a woodburner and don't own an Englander product (the 13NCI wouldn't fit in my fireplace), but based on what I've read in this forum and the wood-burning forum, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a refurbished Englander stove if I were in the market for a pellet stove. Englander really seems to stand behind their products and if you have a problem you can actually contact the guy who worked on your stove directly through this forum. Try that with any other stove manufacturer!

fredarm said:
...... if you have a problem you can actually contact the guy who worked on your stove directly through this forum. Try that with any other stove manufacturer!

Exactly! Why do you think I switched from Avalon stove to an Englander. Good service from someone that is knowledgeable about their stoves (ie: Mike Holton at Englander) is KEY, IMO.

sculptor said:
.....I did give pause to the term "factory second" though.
Believe me, in this case, don't give it a second thought. When I uncrated the stove, it's as close to brand new as your going to find. Mike and his crew did a superb job.

macman said:
sculptor said:
Believe me, in this case, don't give it a second thought. When I uncrated the stove, it's as close to brand new as your going to find. Mike and his crew did a superb job.

Close to BRAND NEW and about half the cost. That's awfully hard to pass on that DEAL!

It's not a tough choice now! Go for IT!

jay

macman said:
sculptor said:

macman did you say you bought one of those Englander refurbs off ebay?

Well, I just did it! I bought the multi-fuel Englander. Yahoo! Thanks for the link macman.

*actually it's the timerridge.

sculptor said:
Well, I just did it! I bought the multi-fuel Englander. Yahoo! Thanks for the link macman.

Congrates to you! And welcome to the world of multifuel. Well hopefully in the future anyway.

You will be able to burn even the crappiest of pellets with ease.

We will need to see photo's of it when your up and going. I think that its a requirement here?

jay

dac122 said:
....macman did you say you bought one of those Englander refurbs off ebay?

yep, although I "technically" didn't go through ebay...went direct to the guy selling them. Mike Holton hooked me up with him.

sculptor said:

Congrats sculptor!

Keep us all posted on when you get it and get it hooked-up and burning. If I can help, let me know by PM. But of course, "the man" is Mike Holton.....great guy to work with.

Glad it worked out, macman comes through again. I love my Quad but something did not smell right with that deal. The Quad lifetime warranty is on the heat exchanger only, the rest is one to three years depending on the part. Right there I am already questioning the dealer's integrity. I also cannot imagine that a Quad survived the great stove rush of 2008 unsold. Quad was like 6 - 12 months behind on orders and people were pissed. Oil was topping 4 dollars a gallon and pople were buying any stove they could get their hands on. There must be a reason that stove is still around and 2k does not seem like much of a bargain. I think you made a great decision. Good luck with the new stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.