It's Forest Fire Weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

quads

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Central Sands, Wisconsin
And when it's forest fire weather, I carry my shovel and water can, just in case.
IMG_6953.jpg

And my vertical splitter. ;-)
IMG_6956.jpg

Quads, I don't remember what saw you are using? looks like my 028???

(is that FISKARS levitating?????)

on second thought, it looks bigger than my 028....

quads said:
And when it's forest fire weather, I carry my shovel and water can, just in case.
IMG_6953.jpg

And my vertical splitter. ;-)
IMG_6956.jpg

Quads thanks for the reminder, of all the equipment I have purchased the one thing I don't have is a can for water in case of a fire. About two weeks ago it was like August in the woods but since then we have had enough rain so the woods is not dry.

zap

PS, i dunno when they changed this, but when I was a kid, Smokey always said "Only you can prevent forest fires" now he says "Only you can prevent wildfires."

it makes sense, it just sounds weird to me, i guess......

Quads when did FISKARS send you the wagon? :)

Zap

Attachments

• IMG_6956-1.jpg
    IMG_6956-1.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 264
Danno77 said:
Quads, I don't remember what saw you are using? looks like my 028???

(is that FISKARS levitating?????)
Yes, it is levitating! It never used to do that until after I lettered my last name on the handle.

Actually, the saw is smaller than yours. It's an 026.

zapny said:
Quads thanks for the reminder, of all the equipment I have purchased the one thing I don't have is a can for water in case of a fire. About two weeks ago it was like August in the woods but since then we have had enough rain so the woods is not dry.

zap
Terribly dry here, like almost every Spring. Fortunately no large destructive fires yet, but many small ones.

Danno77 said:
PS, i dunno when they changed this, but when I was a kid, Smokey always said "Only you can prevent forest fires" now he says "Only you can prevent wildfires."

it makes sense, it just sounds weird to me, i guess......
Really? I didn't know they changed it, I thought it still said 'forest fires' on the DNR signs, but I haven't paid attention.

zapny said:

Zap
Ha ha! Don't be givin' me any ideas! I don't think I have enough letters leftover for the wagon.

We've settled into a dry weather pattern here with an early spring warm up. The weather has been dominated by high pressure systems and highs 10-15F above normal. A dry cold front passed Friday night, so the temps are going to be normal for a few days. But unless we get some rain soon, I'd say we'll have a few rounds of forest/wild fires this spring.

Good idea carrying the shovel and water, quads. A good reminder than one can never be too prepared, really. We always seem to overlooking something.

The "bonus" of this weather pattern is better wood seasoning weather. I brought home about 1/2 a cord of red oak that's been in the hay barn since March of '08, and that stuff is NICE. It will be really nice come December.

quads said:
zapny said:

Zap
Ha ha! Don't be givin' me any ideas! I don't think I have enough letters leftover for the wagon.

I double dog dare yea!

zap

Yes, there have been many warnings here also about fire danger. It is terribly dry and I'm glad things are greening up some which will help to stop the spread of any fires. I'm more worried about moisture in the ground for sprouting any seeds. It is almost time to plant corn.

Speaking of that, our peach trees are all in blossom now! About a week to 10 days early this year. It will depend on how cold it gets whether we'll have peaches or not. 33 predicted tonight so hopefully all will be well. I hate to see a hard freeze with the blossoms open.

You know, I've never understood how a forest fire can start from a tossed cig. It takes me a dozen matches and a can of lighter fluid to get a charcoal BBQ going. Thank God for natural gas and electronic ignition.

My wife is always freaked out when I burn down my large brush piles. I should have burned the one I have now last Winter while there was snow on the ground but I never got around to it. Now it's dry as a bone in the bush and I'm sure they have banned burning.

Do you always split vertical? I've been known to swing an axe horizontal as the log lays rather than bend over to upright it.

No fruit tree blossoms yet. We had frost the last couple nights. 20° Saturday night. I covered my outside faucet with one of my old barn coats! We almost always have real dry weather in the Spring, just before the oaks get their leaves. On the rare occasion that we get a rainy Spring, it's always a flood! Never anything in between. I brought a little more wood up to the house tonight (this particular stuff has been seasoning almost 4 years now) and it was so dry and dusty...... Some members of our family are firefighters and DNR forest fire fighters, so when it comes to wildfires I try to be prepared at least a little. I guess it's in my blood.

I don't always split the rounds vertical, but usually. Sometimes I'll leave it lay horizontal and hit it, especially if I've already split it once and it tipped over. Somewhere I think I posted a little video of me splitting horizontally!

Good idea Quads

I hate to say it but I never thought to carry either with me. I have been wanting to build a fire wagon with a 500gal water tank. But even when I get it built I won't be able to get it everywhere.

Billy

Cowboy Billy said:
Good idea Quads

I hate to say it but I never thought to carry either with me. I have been wanting to build a fire wagon with a 500gal water tank. But even when I get it built I won't be able to get it everywhere.

Billy
Yep, you never know. If for some reason a fire ever did start, a little water and a shovel used quickly might be just the thing.

Quads . . . so you're posting this picture and expecting us all to believe that there is water in that 5-gallon container and not moonshine . . . next thing you know you'll be telling us that the spade is for putting out fires and not for digging the grave for the federal agent that was asking too many questions about illegal liquor operations. ;) :)

Danno . . . I think they changed the tag phrase to more accurately reflect the fact that wildfires can occur in scrubland, prairies, fields and even urban areas as we often see every other year in southern California . . . areas which some folks may not consider "forests."

LL . . . I do believe cigarettes can and have causes some wildfires. I also believe they may cause a few more fires than the "broken glass bottle" beside the highway causes that are sometimes listed . . . but far, far fewer than the fires caused by folks burning brush and having the fire go out of control . . . at least here in Maine uncontrolled burning is the leading cause of wildfires . . . if memory serves me correctly arson is also right up there.

Quads . . . you're right . . . give me a backpack pump (formerly known as the Indian tank) and a brush or Pulaski and I can mount a pretty decent defense against an incipent wildfire.

LLigetfa said:
You know, I've never understood how a forest fire can start from a tossed cig. It takes me a dozen matches and a can of lighter fluid to get a charcoal BBQ going. Thank God for natural gas and electronic ignition.

I came home to a small patch of mulch burning in my back yard.
I called my sister to come put out the damned fire she had started a couple hours earlier.
She wouldn't have believed her tossed butt had started a fire if I hadn't insisted she see the mulch smoldering right where she had stepped on her cigarette butt and made her put it out.

That new smokey on the TV ad also sounds mentally challenged.
Probably enunciating very carefully, but it just comes out all wrong.

billb3 said:
LLigetfa said:

I came home to a small patch of mulch burning in my back yard.
I called my sister to come put out the damned fire she had started a couple hours earlier.
She wouldn't have believed her tossed butt had started a fire if I hadn't insisted she see the mulch smoldering right where she had stepped on her cigarette butt and made her put it out.

That new smokey on the TV ad also sounds mentally challenged.
Probably enunciating very carefully, but it just comes out all wrong.

I should probably amend my previous thread since you reminded me . . . here in the Big City we tend to get quite a few mulch fires near the restaurants and stores due to folks tossing their cigarette butts in the fresh mulch come Spring time.

As for Smokey . . . the new voice is that of Sam Elliott.

firefighterjake said:
Quads . . . so you're posting this picture and expecting us all to believe that there is water in that 5-gallon container and not moonshine . . . next thing you know you'll be telling us that the spade is for putting out fires and not for digging the grave for the federal agent that was asking too many questions about illegal liquor operations. ;) :)

Danno . . . I think they changed the tag phrase to more accurately reflect the fact that wildfires can occur in scrubland, prairies, fields and even urban areas as we often see every other year in southern California . . . areas which some folks may not consider "forests."

LL . . . I do believe cigarettes can and have causes some wildfires. I also believe they may cause a few more fires than the "broken glass bottle" beside the highway causes that are sometimes listed . . . but far, far fewer than the fires caused by folks burning brush and having the fire go out of control . . . at least here in Maine uncontrolled burning is the leading cause of wildfires . . . if memory serves me correctly arson is also right up there.

Quads . . . you're right . . . give me a backpack pump (formerly known as the Indian tank) and a brush or Pulaski and I can mount a pretty decent defense against an incipent wildfire.
Ha! Yep, I guess I better not pour that 'water' on the fire...whoosh!

Similar to the 'green bottle along the highway thing', I'd be willing to bet that many of the fires blamed on chainsaws were actually started by the cigarette of the guy running the saw, and not the saw itself. When it's this dry, and somebody throws a cigarette down in the loose leaves/grass/little sticks, and then add in some wind...whoosh!

The tossed cig comment was meant to be a joke. Many years ago, they did not allow us to smoke tailor-made cigs in the bush, only roll-your-own. They put something in the tailor-made cigs so that they stay lit. If you didn't keep puffing on a roll-your-own, it would go out.

Speaking of rolling your own, you had to learn to be fast or roll with one hand as the blackflies and skeeters knew when both your hands where busy. Once you had one rolled and lit, you could puff away on it to keep the bugs away while you rolled the next one.

LLigetfa said:
The tossed cig comment was meant to be a joke.
Don't feel bad. I got it. I instantly thought about the heck of a time I had last week trying to get a freaking load of charcoal to start without lighter fluid. I ended up convincing the wife it was a lost cause and we went out to eat. funny how hard it can be lighting something that is SUPPOSED to burn, yet we hear about all these accidental fires with stuff that aint supposed to burn.

Danno77 said:
LLigetfa said:
The tossed cig comment was meant to be a joke.
Don't feel bad. I got it. I instantly thought about the heck of a time I had last week trying to get a freaking load of charcoal to start without lighter fluid. I ended up convincing the wife it was a lost cause and we went out to eat. funny how hard it can be lighting something that is SUPPOSED to burn, yet we hear about all these accidental fires with stuff that aint supposed to burn.

Ha ha! It went right over my head. I don't smoke.

quads said:
I don't smoke.
Nor do I now. That was a long time ago when I did.

Status
Not open for further replies.