It's going to be 60 today...should I?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drewboy

Oct 8, 2008
Lakes Region, NH
I was up on the roof yesterday, pulled the cap, chimney looks good - slightly more buildup
than a month ago but surprisingly clean. I have been averaging about 4 days of 24 hr burns
per week since beginning of Nov. - So should I move the stove, pull off the pipes and check
for any buildup in them or am I content knowing that the coldest part of the chimney looks OK??
This may be the last of the warm weather and cold stove for a while...
BTW, I have been burning some Ash that I cut and split the first week of Aug. mixed in with
2-3 year old oak and maple. It's ends are checked and it burns well but I question if this is still
too soon even for ash ... I was hoping to really start using the ash pile in Jan.

Rob

I would clean it all today. It better than a windy and 20*F day. Then you are all set for the winter.

Do it safely and enjoy your warm stove tonight.

Yeah we made it to sixty yesterday and I did the top to bottom mid-terms on both chimneys to head into the stretch run. About a quart of dry power in each but we get that more than others due to our temp swings and lots of restarts over the season. Experience tells me that missing a warm day opportunity about this time of year is missing piece of mind wondering about the things for the rest of the season. If we could just burn around the clock like a lot of people it wouldn't be necessary.

On the pipe question, I know with my one pipe connected stove I always have more soot accumulation in the single wall connector pipe than I do the liner it is connected to. That may just be a product of my burning style.

Status
Not open for further replies.