its going to be a free for all tomorrow at 11 am

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say it will already be cut into rounds they want it out of there quick...

I quite regularly find myself amazed at what many people consider a "huge" tree.

..."must be three years worth of wood in this one"....two face cord later.

Thats funny .....

Just a while a go I was talking to a friend about a score on craigslist. Guy said it was just less than a chord of cherry. I said great ...went over and it was more like 4 chords :wow:

I saw that one too. I thought about it for a second, then just walked away. I went to one like that near my house once, it was pouring so I figured most people would not show up. I came an hour early and found teams of big guys with big trucks and big saws. I did not even get out of my little car.

t

TriTodd said:
I saw that one too. I thought about it for a second, then just walked away. I went to one like that near my house once, it was pouring so I figured most people would not show up. I came an hour early and found teams of big guys with big trucks and big saws. I did not even get out of my little car.

t

is firewood that hard to come by in Portland?

People must think so. The last score I mentioned was fresh cut poplar. I will take it for free if its convenient, but not worth fighting over.

I don't work very hard at scrounging and am getting all I need. I am starting to get picky.

t

Yes it is really hard to get wood right know. My supply has diminished. I showed up at quarter of 11 am and it was all gone. Down the street there was a guy with a trailer and truck full of wood driving away :eek:(.

I have called around my area and there are no permit open cutting areas currently. This is really weird. I am thinking about driving up to my father in laws place in a few weeks and just looking in the back country to see if I can find some wood.

Wood Duck said:
TriTodd said:

t

is firewood that hard to come by in Portland?

I stayed at a rental house on the water, just out of Anacortes this summer while on a fishing trip with my brothers. ( We lost our dad, who was from Everett, and all went up there to fish the Skagit. It was his favorite place on earth.) Anyway, I was amazed at all the driftwood that was on the banks. I could have easily had several cords in short order. It seems like that would be an ideal scrounge oppurtunity. I don't know how many people do it though.

Driftwood does not make good firewood, only in the outdoors would I do that.

bigtall said:
I stayed at a rental house on the water, just out of Anacortes this summer while on a fishing trip with my brothers. ( We lost our dad, who was from Everett, and all went up there to fish the Skagit. It was his favorite place on earth.) Anyway, I was amazed at all the driftwood that was on the banks. I could have easily had several cords in short order. It seems like that would be an ideal scrounge oppurtunity. I don't know how many people do it though.

Why would drift wood NOT be suitable?

There was a post from someone in AK who scrounged drift wood.

Seems like it would be a good source to me. Cut it, split it, stack it, season it, burn it.

Buring it right away may be bad - as it's wet wood.

When we get high water on local rivers, the receeding water leaves wood all over the boat ramps which must be cleared. I would imagine there might be some good wood there too. I've never scrounged any, but the thought has crossed my mind.

I don't know the technical reason, just personal experience. It may just take a lot longer and more splitting to get it dry. I also had "collected" some wood from Willamette Sailing Club, my sailing club down on the Willamette. Every spring there is a ton of wood on the ramp, I took a load home once and was not impressed even after it had sat next to fresh fir that had been cut and split. Both dried the same amount of time, and the fire dried much better.

I don't know why.

basswidow said:

Seems like it would be a good source to me. Cut it, split it, stack it, season it, burn it.

When we get high water on local rivers, the receeding water leaves wood all over the boat ramps which must be cleared. I would imagine there might be some good wood there too. I've never scrounged any, but the thought has crossed my mind.

mackconsult said:
I don't know the technical reason, just personal experience. It may just take a lot longer and more splitting to get it dry. I also had "collected" some wood from Willamette Sailing Club, my sailing club down on the Willamette. Every spring there is a ton of wood on the ramp, I took a load home once and was not impressed even after it had sat next to fresh fir that had been cut and split. Both dried the same amount of time, and the fire dried much better.

I don't know why.

basswidow said:

It's been a while since I stayed at a Holiday Inn, but....

It's surprising to you that wood that was floating in water for an indeterminate amount of time took longer to dry than wood that was not?

basswidow said:

drift wood is not good because of
1.) salt absorbed into the wood, causes a stove to rust
2.) decay of the wood. drift wood is usually very light, and punky.

There was a lot of wood out there and we used some to make fires, but I don't recall finding any punky stuff. It was all real solid. If I lived up there and was in need, it would be a no-brainer.
l_85a1bba4bfe44952a2b64035c1342a31.png

My older, less intelligent, less attractive brother.
l_5657570ae0e4468cbe4ff02bf702e484.png

Shot of Mt. Baker over my evening burn.
l_d0e3be76bf4446ff8b89802a00cc3dc4.png

Not only did the water provide us with firewood, but a few tasty meals as well!
l_a3a7aa1dbf2545ee85cd37857d283219.png

bigtall said:

Here is a direct quote from the owners manual of my insert

"Do not burn driftwood or wood that has been exposed to salt water, doing so will void your warranty"

More importantly, Mr. Welder, have you ever eaten/drank here?
l_74529d5f64e54563b40783f6d9d9467c.png

Loved this place!

Bigtall

I have not been to that particular brewery as I do not make it up to Skagit county very often anymore

However there are a couple here in Everett that I go to at times, both have great beers and good chow
Scuttlebutt Brewery
http://www.scuttlebuttbrewing.com/Scuttlebutt_Brewing_Co./Pub,_News_&_Info.html

and Lazy Boy
http://www.lazyboybrewing.com/

Here in the Northwest we live in the micro beer/brewery capital of the USA, seems they are everywhere and new ones sprout up overnight, It all started with Red Hook in the early 80's, they got too big too fast and sold out to anheuser-busch (yuuuk). Most of the watering holes/pubs i go to have at least 10-15 micro's on tap and only about 3 to 5 domestics like Bud, Miller

Seems I have been drinking alot of Deschutes Brewery product latley, they got some great seasonal beers in the fall/winter
http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/brewery/default.aspx

Great, now you made me thirsty , got to go upstairs and get me a beer

Me and my brothers have said that we are going to get back up there, together, and fish the Skagit again. When we do, I hope to give those watering holes a try. I did love it up there and can't wait to get back.
Mine was the Hefeweizen on the right!
l_efc216cd7ef144c7a9398c945715b33a.png

And the 30 lb native salmon did not hurt us any! (Even though I was skunked, and my brothers caught all the fish! But they loved my Dungeness Crab!)
l_caaed29362fc4bac96b965b7587d5b79.png

Status
Not open for further replies.