IT'S HERE IT'S HERE IT'S HERE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoseRedHoofbeats

Feeling the Heat
Oct 7, 2010
San Antonio, TX
My wood stove FINALLY got installed today! Yay!

I'm doing my first break-in fire now, I got it started and drafting no problem at all. I did a piddly little kindling fire to warm the flue up, and got a large kindling fire going up to 300, and now I'm letting that die down. DAMN these fumes are awful!! I sat in front of the stove as long as I could to watch it and then finally retreated into the bedroom and have the window cracked. Giving me a serious headache. Sort of ruining the ambiance for me.

Will post pictures soon as I find my flippin' camera! It grew legs and ran off again. I was up until about two AM finishing up the grout and making it all purty and then started today scraping it off and getting it all clean. It looks real nice and even my skeptical husband said that he liked how the room looked with the stove in it.

~Rose

RoseRedHoofbeats said:

I'm doing my first break-in fire now, I got it started and drafting no problem at all. I did a piddly little kindling fire to warm the flue up, and got a large kindling fire going up to 300, and now I'm letting that die down. DAMN these fumes are awful!! I sat in front of the stove as long as I could to watch it and then finally retreated into the bedroom and have the window cracked. Giving me a serious headache. Sort of ruining the ambiance for me.

Will post pictures soon as I find my flippin' camera! It grew legs and ran off again. I was up until about two AM finishing up the grout and making it all purty and then started today scraping it off and getting it all clean. It looks real nice and even my skeptical husband said that he liked how the room looked with the stove in it.

~Rose

Rose congratulations, looking forward to the pictures.

zap

RoseRedHoofbeats said:

~Rose
Before your next burn and before the smell starts again, open the windows closest to the stove and blow a fan into the room at full blast to keep the smell from circulating through the house. Close all doors-bedrooms, bathrooms, too to keep the smell out. It might get a bit cold with the windows open, but this does work. We did this with my parent's new Endeavour and it was way less painful than when I broke in my Revere. I had a headache for days!

Allrighty, Rose !!!!

Can't wait for pics !!

Very cool! My Rose says good luck with it, and have fun staying warm. Get on the pics, eh? It's just fiction 'til we see 'em. ;-)

Great news! Way to Go! Wooo-Hooo!!... Ok, enough. A bunch of us have been dyin' to find out about heat output, burn times and wood consumption. Myself- I'm really looking forward to your reports, 'cause I know what your operational parameters are. I will follow your posts on this one, I'm really intrigued with your stove. (and get your wood squared away, I don't want to read about you lugging in splits in 3-4 months) you rest easy.

Jan 5th and I still don't see a stove? Wassssssssss up with that.

For heaven's sake y'all, I'm pregnant, not dying. You guys get this nervy when your wives were pregnant? =P I rode horses and climbed rocks and moved my entire household to Utah just me and my husband when I was pregnant last time. Heck this stuff's already cut to length, don't even have to use the chainsaw. My balance won't get off until I'm much further along. I ain't even feeling sickly. Though the concern's appreciated. =)

So far I'm pretty happy with it. The install went cheeky and aside from a splitting headache from the fumes (will definitely open all the windows in the living room and run some fans next time, I'm probably giving my fetus cancer as we speak) it's a peach. The firebox is DEFINITELY pretty little, I'm going to have to cut a lot more off my splits than I thought I'd have to. But, it is what it is, which is a nice looking little budget stove. I was especially happy with how easy it drafted, and I was able to shut the door pretty much as soon as I got the fire built up to the size I wanted no problem. Though they could make a damper for both the intake over the OAK and the flue and not hurt my feelings. And I had a very nice little heatwave going out of my chimney and almost NO white smoke at all and my wood wasn't popping or hissing or anything.

I also used my little sample SuperCedar starter and I'm less than impressed, it was hard to get it to catch with a regular match. Used about eight trying to get it to without it burning out. It did burn nice and steady and catch some middling sized kindling no trouble, but I think I'll go back to using lard and sawdust. The low clearances are really nice, it looks great on the tile hearth I built. And DEAR GOD I AM NEVER TILING ANYTHING EVER AGAIN. I have grout EVERYWHERE, and I am VERY VERY GLAD I decided to do the hearth BEFORE I put down my shiny new floor or I'd be scrubbing 288 square feet of laminate with a toothbrush trying to get it all off!

I ended up having to get a laser thermometer because my local Harbor Freight didn't have a magnetic one. Plus this one doubles as a cat toy. My daughter is fascinated with the stove and I've been drilling, "Hot! Mama touch! Careful!" into her head, and then she stands behind me saying, "Careful! Hot! Hot! No touch!"

~Rose

Congrats Rose enjoy the view and the heat!!

Ray

Congrats! A little practice and you will have that humming along. Enjoy the heat!!

Anthony

RoseRedHoofbeats said:
I also used my little sample SuperCedar starter and I'm less than impressed, it was hard to get it to catch with a regular match.

Did ya drop it in the kitchen sink or something??
Get one of these dudes and fugitaboutit.

Congrats on the install.

Attachments

• BZLTR300_lg.jpg
    BZLTR300_lg.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 669
I like that stove Rose - love the underneath wood storage - just looks cool. I'll bet that stove will keep you toasty! Enjoy! Cheers!

Can't wait for Thomas to find out his Super Cedars got beat out by lard. :lol:

If I wanna go really old school I can start saving grease and fat from cooking and render it myself. =P

Seriously though, I got my free sample that was posted on here and didn't even open the envelope until I wanted to use it, still sealed up in plastic and everything. Sucker would NOT catch!

I found my camera, when I get my second fire up and running I'll take some pictures. =)

~Rose

I had no idea they had a new model out, and I get the ESW news letter. I was just in Home Depot today and didn't see one. I want to check one out in person but I'll settle for pics of one in action. Congrats on your new purchase!!!

Woohoo! Congratulations Rose! Looking forward to seeing the new installation.

Breakin is over, now fire it up to 550-600 with the windows open, fan exhausting the fumes and bake that paint.

No pics means this never happened...

Ray

Congratulations Rose. But it is difficult to believe it took that many matches to ignite a super cedar!!!! They light right off and burn a long time. Maybe it had something to do with what you ate!......

I find supercedar chunks easier to ignite than a whole puck. Snap it into quarters and the rough broken edge starts very quickly for me using a bic lighter. Normally just a quarter or two is more than sufficient to get the fire going.

What are they charging for that new model btw. Just curious.

1 cu.ft. firebox, eh? To paraphrase my 34 year old bimbo niece:

"That's a cute little stove, Uncle Dan."

S'long as it does the job is what I say. ;-)

Whadda ya think, guys? We gonna see pic of the new baby before we get a glimpse of Rose's install?

Status
Not open for further replies.