It's here!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amynrichie

Nov 3, 2011
Nebraska
The CB 1200 is in! We will go pick it up in the morning. I'm so excited! :)

We are also building the hearth pad this weekend. How long does the tile/grout need to cure before the stove can be placed on it?

The CB 1200 is in! We will go pick it up in the morning. I'm so excited! :)

We are also building the hearth pad this weekend. How long does the tile/grout need to cure before the stove can be placed on it?
When we built them it was 24 hours in 70 degree rooms.
I should have said let dry 24 hours after each application Sorry about that its been a few years since we made them. There is also a difference in the type of glue that you use. Its usually best to ask at the store where you buy the tile. Don't forget to use the cement board between ply wood and tile.

Last edited:
Great! We can do an outdoor burnoff while the tile sits. (Weather permitting)
I may have to run the space heater just to keep the temp up overnight for the tile.

It's only 63 degrees in the house right now, so I'm looking forward to getting it up and running!

That's 24 hours per application. 24 hours for tile to set, 24 hours for grout to set. To be honest though, I have grouted many tile jobs after a 12 hour set. Over night basically. Especially on something small like a hearth. The grout really does need 24 hours though, and the tile needs 24 hours before anything heavy goes on it.

That's 24 hours per application. 24 hours for tile to set, 24 hours for grout to set. To be honest though, I have grouted many tile jobs after a 12 hour set. Over night basically. Especially on something small like a hearth. The grout really does need 24 hours though, and the tile needs 24 hours before anything heavy goes on it.
Very helpful, thank you.

3e4d8fb5a05599c2a09c53a0dfbbd6fe.jpg

This is just a planning picture. Durock gets applied over plywood tonight.

5a922f93ffeacff9211781cd758dda9c.jpg

Can't wait to get the stove out of this location!

Just make sure to thinset the durock to the plywood.

d7034acd55a5d4ddbc5ca3e5c3c8c7c6.jpg

Hearth pad - stained trim/ edging to be added yet.

ff529e3be1256a553bac5702d1196244.jpg

Almost ready for start up! Question: How do you run the classic bay in manual mode? Do you have to disconnect the t stat? I'm thinking that might be easier with a wireless t stat that I can just shut off. I think t stat will be great for shoulders, but might want to run manual in the coldest parts of winter.

I don't think there is a manual mode.

I too have a cat supervisor.

image.jpg

Reactions: amynrichie
if you connect a jumper wire to the two tstat connections she should fire up.looking good so far

Almost ready for start up! Question: How do you run the classic bay in manual mode? Do you have to disconnect the t stat? I'm thinking that might be easier with a wireless t stat that I can just shut off. I think t stat will be great for shoulders, but might want to run manual in the coldest parts of winter.

For "manual" mode, you can set the T-stat to a very high temperature for "on", and a very low temperature for "off".

During the winter we'll use it that way, changing the heat setting to keep the room comfortable. This layout allows a lot of the stove's heat to go to the rest of the house. We found that a cycling t-stat disrupts that heat flow. So we keep it running when we're around, and set the t-stat back when we'll be gone for a while.

For "manual" mode, you can set the T-stat to a very high temperature for "on", and a very low temperature for "off".

During the winter we'll use it that way, changing the heat setting to keep the room comfortable. This layout allows a lot of the stove's heat to go to the rest of the house. We found that a cycling t-stat disrupts that heat flow. So we keep it running when we're around, and set the t-stat back when we'll be gone for a while.
Thanks, that helps. That's probably what we will do when it gets cold. For now, I think cycling will work.
Initial start up took a while to prime the auger and dial in the feed adjuster, but it runs nice! We had the house up to 85° with the windows open.

Reactions: SwineFlue
everyone loves pics of a new stove with a fire burning!!!

That sharp point right in the front looks menacing. Id hate for my barefoot to find that in the dark.

That sharp point right in the front looks menacing. Id hate for my barefoot to find that in the dark.
Agreed, but we don't own Or have access to a tile saw, and the local hardware store doesn't cut tile.

Status
Not open for further replies.