It's never easy!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scottgen20

Feb 15, 2006
Lower Saucon, PA
So my dealer called to tell me that my Jotul F100 arrived this week.. I stopped by earlier today and brought her home. I wasnt home most of the day, so I put off the installation until this evening.

I spent most of the evening getting the fireplace ready for the stove.. Once the fireplace was set, I started to prep the stove.. First thing that I noticed was that two screws for connecting the flue collar to the stove were missing. Bummer I think, but no huge deal.. I just unbolt the top flue exit cover and use those bolts.. I'm thinking, I'll just go back to the dealer and pick up replacement bolts next week. Problem solved.

Next, I jockey the stove into position and contort myself trying to connect the the stove up to my SS liner. For some reason or another (probably because I'm hugging the stove at this point as I'm working on connecting the pipe), I take a look at the air control slider. It's at full open, so I attempt to push it to the left and it doesnt budge. Looking at it, it appears to be binding because it is hitting the top of the the stove. I really tried to get it to move, but no luck.

Looking at the parts list and diagram, (and then looking at the actual stove in my living room) it almost appears to me that the air control lever was installed upside down. It is flat on one side and slightly rounded on the other. It seems to me that the rounded side should be pointing down, and the flat side should be up - if this was the case, it would clear the top of the stove and would not be binding.

The shop is closed tomorrow and Monday, so it will be Tuesday at the earliest before I know anything... I'm not looking foward to pulling this out of the house and loading it back up to take it back..

Glad that I didnt wait until it got cold to get it installed!

Thats sure suprising for sutch a cadillac stove. Its not like ya cheaped out. Dont let it wreck your Sunday. Mabye beat on some wood with a splitter tommorow or place some wood in er to see how shes gonna load. Its gonna be like sittin on a new motorbike with no wheels. Good luck. :grrr:

Thanks! I'm not too bummed out.. Since I'm not quite ready to fire it up, I can deal with it for now. I'm going to get some kindling together tomorrow.. That should keep me occupied. Cutting about two acres of grass will do it, too :)

I'm looking forward to fall! Can't wait to smell wood burning again.

Our grass has done growin, leaves almost done fallen. -6C tonight. Wood stove is idling. Will be scraping ice of the boat window in the morning to catch a few lake trout for smokin and vacume packin. :coolsmile:

Status
Not open for further replies.