It's official I'm a wood gypsy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

They Call Me Pete

Burning Hunk
Nov 18, 2007
CT
Well it's been cold and snowy with only plowing keeping me busy I figured I'd start on next years wood. The best part is it was about 200' up the road from me. I've got my eye on some more but it's down a bank a little. Thinking of skidding them up it with truck.

2cwnaqq.jpg

dvg9bd.jpg

Not stealing, I hope. :cheese:
Nice looking load. Maple ? I've got 5 big maple a farmer said I could have. They're 100' down a slope that I can't drive down to until dry ground.
I've been trying to think of a way to get them up now but don't have any ideas, other than lugging chunks on my shoulders. :sick:

How about a sled tied to your bumper? Back up the truck and pull the sled up the hill. If the road is at an odd angle, us a block at the top of the hill that will allow you to back up at the correct angle.

Matt

Winch the sled up with a cheep 12VOLT winch from harbour freight.

how fast do these 12v winches go? I'm worried very slow which would make a 20 to 50 foot movement painfully slow.

I don't think I've ever seen a fast winch. Something about gear reduction... But it will allow you to pull from a stationary place.

If you want speed, you can always use a rim without a tire to pull the rope! Just step on the gas! :lol:

Matt

An old car hood can work well for skidding too.

Winter cutting is tricky enough on flat ground...I'd save those side hill lies for spring and tackle something else.

I don't think that will hold up for more than 20 full pulls Pete.

For those small gears even 4' lengths have a lot of resistance if they’re being dragged up hill. But for 70 it's not like you'll be out much...and I'm pretty sure they'll replace it twice. Anyway it'll be cool getting a report on how you’re doing. Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.