its official, im writing a book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave Johnson, rest his soul, the father of member and former moderator Eric Johnson wrote and published The Good Wood Cutter's Guide. It wasn't in the book but you need to use a quote from his Dad that Eric told us about.

"You want your creosote to end up on your neighbor's car. Not in your chimney." ;lol

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
one was posted tonight by a member who has been in this forum for a long time, just breaks my heart knowing that someone could lose it all, just that fast, and it might have been prevented if the right information had been available.

actually let me rephrase my earlier comment about success. if I save one family from standing next to a big red truck watching their world burn down, its worth every penny

Hopefully that forum member and their family are all OK. How bad was it?

Applaud the concept of the book and good luck with it! Education is a powerful tool which is why I keep hanging around the forum... always something new to learn;)

Do a self-published e-book version sold on Amazon. No pitch to publishers.

cut the tree down, split it, load it in the stove, why do you want to make it difficult?
better yet, go to store buy pellets dump in hopper.

cut the tree down, split it, LET IT SEASON / DRY, load it in the stove, why do you want to make it difficult?
better yet, go to store buy pellets dump in hopper.
See, you missed a very important step ....this is why Mike needs to write the book.:p;lol

See, you missed a very important step ....this is why Mike needs to write the book.:p;lol

sarcasm........
no, I was stating what people do. sometimes typing does not make the same point as talking.

Last edited:
sarcasm........
no, I was stating what people do. sometimes typing does not make the same point as talking.

I caught it but I have a PHD in sarcasm (Piled Higher and Deeper).

lets not get to fussin about it gang. :)

but Jags does raise a valid point , there are a lot of folks out there which may not know about proper seasoning of the fuel. as well as many other things, my hope is to help educate

might i suggest the glossary of incorrect terminology: creasalt, chimbley fluke, dampner...and such. I find it best when everyone is using a common tongue.

Good luck Mike..I look forward to the illustrations

Definitely self-publish! Do the ebook on Amazon and then use Createspace for the paperback...or the other way around.

I did mine 100% by myself.....and it's selling very well. I sell about 2.5X as many e-copies (2.99) as I do paper copies ($6.99)....

I make about the same on either sale - close to $2 per sale, which is unheard of.....Amazon is very fair to authors.

Not to go too far afield here . . . but I have actually written a children's story . . . only issue is that about the only artwork I can do are stick figures and I'm thinking that wouldn't do for a children's book.

most of the illustrations i suspect will be drawings , as they will mostly be diagrams, i suspect some photo's will be included though.

i'l look into the amazon thing web, appreciate the tip. anything i can glean as to the process helps

Not to go too far afield here . . . but I have actually written a children's story . . . only issue is that about the only artwork I can do are stick figures and I'm thinking that wouldn't do for a children's book.

Have you checked local college/university art departments for recommendations for illustrators from the profs/deans? or at least tips on where to start looking? A lot will depend on subject content and style of illustration your looking for... good luck!

Good luck Mike. I seams like the chapter list could go from wood processing to wood boilers, pellet stove and then some.

You need to get Pook to consult on a chapter on Magic Heat, and Slickplant to do one on bush trimmin'

Reactions: firefighterjake
Have you checked local college/university art departments for recommendations for illustrators from the profs/deans? or at least tips on where to start looking? A lot will depend on subject content and style of illustration your looking for... good luck!

Thanks ... I'll look into that.

I am the world's worst artist - but used a combo of photos, manufacturers pics (usually OK if you ask) and some very simple line drawings. Ebooks are not held to as high of a standard as print-only.....which may be good or bad, depending on your view. That is, if you want a coffee table book that future generations will be proud of, don't do it my way!

I did download the free trial of a sketch program and did this type of drawing...that's about the upper limit of my "talents".

Mike, if you didn't already get a copy in DC of my quad paperback, I'll be glad to send you one. Just PM your addy......I can also send a PDF of the ecopy.

It's easy to subcontract simple drawings or illustrations - many of the sites like guru.com or contractedwork.com can help there.

Attachments

• quadlinebare_1.jpg
    quadlinebare_1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 131
You need to get Pook to consult on a chapter on Magic Heat, and Slickplant to do one on bush trimmin'

Well, for that matter, he could write the shortest book ever written.

"get a blaze king".....(or insert whatever stove is capable of levitation, curing disease or other magic these days".....

Actually, that's one word longer than some of the famous shortest books ever written.

My BIL did drawings for repair manuals for passenger trains when he was between jobs as a millwright/production line supervisor. Not sure how he hooked up with that job... Nephew really developed his talents, Tradigital Art program at St. Clair College in Windsor Ontario, works in the art department for a sports network.

Dave Johnson, rest his soul, the father of member and former moderator Eric Johnson wrote and published The Good Wood Cutter's Guide. It wasn't in the book but you need to use a quote from his Dad that Eric told us about.

"You want your creosote to end up on your neighbor's car. Not in your chimney." ;lol

I just ordered that book, and a couple others recommended by the members on the topic.

FWIW I have tentatively finished the book layout looking at 7 chapters starting with
"what you should think about first" im seeing myself starting to flesh this thing out pretty soon, but its going to be months in finishing it.

while I have a sec i'd like to thank those who have already offered input as well as some who have actually penned a few things on the topics I wish to cover. I look forward to reading these offerings and should I choose to include them I will give credit where its due. one thing I can say right up front, though I have worked in this industry for better than 2 decades and I feel I have a pretty good grasp of the topic, I wouldn't have had the stones to even think about attempting this project without the knowledge I have gained from the folks who have spent time on this site passing on experiences and first hand knowledge of the art of woodburning. for that im truly grateful.

"It was a dark and stormy night."

Reactions: firefighterjake
as for illustrations , I have several programs at my disposal (as well as a complete line of stoves and the assembly line they are built on. I will use some photo's I will be taking of our assembly line and processes but I welcome any photos of installations and especially those of flue construction, liner installations, and such. should one have such shots and are ok with allowing me to use them it would be great, of course I have no problem crediting the picture with its origin unless the person who donated the shot wished to be anonymous. in which case I would credit to hearth.com as the origin.

Status
Not open for further replies.