1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

It's on! Hearth.com meetup in DC - nov 16, 4-7 on the mall

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by webbie, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mellow

mellow Resident Stove Connoisseur

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Boy this will be interesting, I guess I will be bringing a couple growlers with me of real beer on the Metro :)
    begreen likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I just puked in my mouth a little.;sick
    raybonz likes this.
  3. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Obama The National Park Service is not big on Booze.....so that will come afterwards...we asked them if we could cater some beer but they aren't into it......I guess they've had some bad experiences with people peeing on the monuments.
  4. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Yeah back in the eighties a national park cop on a bicycle rolled up and expressed their objection to me and a friend sipping a beer while fishing from the bank of the Potomac River. ;em
  5. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    I hear they're working on their signs now . . . God hates Wood Burners! Wood Burners are going to hell! ;)
    raybonz likes this.
  6. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine

Could have been worse . . . you two could have been sipping a beer while fishing in the Reflecting Pool. ;)
    stoveguy2esw likes this.
  7. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Has anyone checked for the weather projections? I'm wondering if the EPA will be downwind.
  8. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Prevailing wind here is out of the southwest so they will be downwind sometime during the event.

stoveguy2esw likes this.
  9. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    Well there was that thing with me, Wilber Mills and Fanne Foxe in the Tidal Basin back in 1974. ;em
  10. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Many of us will be gathering at the Hilton Garden Inn after the tent - we are reserving a reception area and folks are invited to join us. This will be from about 8 to 10:30 - food and drink will be served, and even more food available (if what we provide is not enough, there is a full restaurant and bar menu)....

More info will be posted - but the place is really close (long walk or very short metro or cab ride)....
    815 14th Street N.W., Washington, District of Columbia, 20005, USA
    http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...inn-washington-dc-downtown-DCACHGI/index.html
  11. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    That's a different Hilton garden than the one everyone is staying at. Is that correct?
  12. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Nope. Sure hope not. I don't want to have to go too far after the bar. :confused:
    raybonz likes this.
  13. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Nope - should only be one in DC unless I messed up... let me check my res.....
    Yep - same place!
    Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC Downtown
    815 14th Street Northwest - Washington, DC 20005 US
  14. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Also a Subway right around the corner if you don't have a DC sized budget :)
  15. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    R U sleeping in the bathroom there?
    ::-)

We are going to have finger food and snacks at the tent and then again at the reception. Not sure if I am spring for the roast beef carving setup, but no one is gonna go hungry if I can help it. Of course, if attendance blows away expectations, we are gonna have to scramble - but with the bar and restaurant right there, it should work out.

Funny story - but you had to be there. One time - around 1986, we attended the big Hearth Trade Show. Jotul had this big shindig with speakers and catered food - BUT, they planned poorly and they were very short. This was right after that #8 was introduced, so Jotul was going from being out of favor to being big again. So, by the time our crew got to the eats, there was nothing left but DIP. And one guy was actually eating dip!

We had a staff member who was funny as hell...and he started using the "dip eating" as a big joke for the entire night. We went in the elevator and saw some friends....he said "hey, did you go to the Jotul meeting, they had some fine dip there"...
    :cool:
    Within an hour he had picked up a Norwegian accent and was making more jokes and impressions about eating dip (to us and even to strangers in the hotel). I just remember that we all couldn't stop laughing.....we were on the floor and laughed so much it hurt!
  16. mellow

Loc:
    Salisbury, MD
    Back in my 20's I had been known to sleep in my car after going to the 9:30 club....
  17. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    You may have messed up. On the invite page you say this, with the link to the Hilton DC/ Capitol, on First street.

Some Hearth.com mods and folks will be staying at the Hilton Garden Inn in DC - it's mid-priced and well located.
    http://hiltongardeninn3.hilton.com/...n-washington-dc-us-capitol-DCANMGI/index.html

So ground zero for all Hearth events is Hilton Downtown?
  18. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Man I want to go so bad..
  19. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Yes, the one at:
    Hilton Garden Inn Washington DC Downtown
    815 14th Street Northwest - Washington, DC 20005 US

I confuse even myself........

It's only two stops away on the Metro - the event is at the Smithsonian stop, the Hotel:
    "BLUE and ORANGE Lines: Stop at the MCPHERSON SQUARE station. Follow the signs towards 14th and Franklin Street exit. The hotel is located across the street."
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  20. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    So make it getaway destination weekend. When was the last time you were in Washington? It's a great town with a endless list of sites to see. All built and maintained with our tax dollars.
  21. BrotherBart

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    And it is a pretty good bet that you will never get a chance to see a bunch of wood stoves burning on the National Mall ever again.
    raybonz likes this.
  22. webbie

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    And if all that wasn't enough - it's 3 days before my 60th Birthday!
    raybonz likes this.
  23. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I visited there in 76 or 77 when I was in the Navy..
  24. xman23

xman23 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lackawaxen PA
    We were on a White house tour when Ford was in office. Been back for work quite a few times but that's in and out.
  25. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    Unfortunately I can't afford this right now.. I am a cash and carry kind of guy.. Just regraded the driveway, bought a new well pump with all brass fittings and had 150 gallons of oil delivered for hot water..

Ray
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.