Its Only Mid March And I Am Already Turning The Stove Off For The Night.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drizler

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Chazy, NY 12921
I started doing that a week or more ago , wow. That usually never happens in Northern NY until the second week of April. Most of that interm time we leave it idling all night long at 10K BTU as ours doesn't have autostart. It sounds like a real early Spring this year. The grass is already coming up all over the pasture. Total corn use for us this year should be about 25 bags of 3 year old NLL pellets from Wallyworld and 2 tons of corn. Eat that OPEC and oil companies!

Yep, I switched my stove over to On-Off about 2 weeks ago, and it stays off most of the night now (on stat).

On during Warmer days......OFF at Colder Night's?............opposite of what i've been doing for the past 12 yrs, OFF DURING DAYS----- ON DURING CHILLY NIGHTS..........you people like waking up to a Cold house?

I'm with you pellet king. Still have mine on at nights on low setting but been turning it off around 11 am and restarting around 8 pm here in Pa.

same scenario here. I've actually been using my heat pump to take the chill away. It's around 50 here in PA.

I am doing the same as imacman! On/Off stat mode. Comes on for a bit in the morning is about it for the last few weeks. This last weekend was rainy and chilly. So it ran for a bit in the afternoon. Still using about a 1/2 bag a day.

I still have 21 bags to go to make it this year. It would be nice to have some left, as the norm is to break into the next winters stash just to finish the the season!

With the price of pellets not being what I consider all that favorable I am going to go get myself another 1 1/4 pickup load of corn and toss it in the basement bunker. That should last me at least until next December and be super dry by next season. Last ton I got was 180 bucks and I would much rather shovel screen that down the chute than carry 50 bags into the basement. I lose about 100 lbs to fines but all the neighborhood squirrels, grouse and crows appreciate the munchies that get thrown to them.

Corn stored in a bunker in the cellar?, sounds like a invite for a mice orgy!!! God bless ya!!

We never have had a problem with that having either corn or pellets on the floor for the summer and the cellar door open most of the time during the day. We live in the middle of a hay field , 10 acres of it. The only defense we have is 4 overfed cats. The only concern is worms and if it gets them I will go the feed store get some DE and feed that to em. It really isn't the problem everyone says it is in my experience.

Hello

Our house is vintage 1962 that had R7 Fiberglass Insulation between the joists in the Attic. Finally before this winter, I rolled it all up and ripped some 2x4s to 2x2s and added them to the 2x4s to make 2x6s. Then I rolled in some R3.7 Reflextix foil and R19 Cornings Pink Fiberglass on top. Then crisscrossed it with R30 Pink Fiberglass for a total R-factor of R52.7.

So for the past month we ran the stove on the lowest setting 1.7 lbs per hour because it only got down to 25 - 30 at night.

This is a basement stove in a split and heats the whole house.

With the new Avalon Astoria Wood Pellet stove and all that reflectix foil in the ceiling our house is just like the old EASY BAKE OVEN !!!

Attachments

• FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 209
Today is the second day that by stove off. Good thing I'm down to 14 bags.

Yup, temps in the mid 60's here during the day. I shut the stove off completely last week.
For the little bit of heat I need to take the chill off in the mornings I'm running the furnace.

Furnace on here too, only used not even a 1/4 tank of oil so far.
Good to make sure the furnace is in working order.

Status
Not open for further replies.