It's so stupid it's kinda funny

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KYrob

Hearth Supporter
Jan 8, 2010
KY
I am referring to how some stove companies sell the stove and you have to buy the door as an extra. Kinda like buying a truck and having to buy the steering wheel as an extra part. One without the other is pretty much useless unless you need a high dollar boat anchor. Anyway, I know you all have seen this before but guess I am bored today.

Rob

Wow Rob. I've not heard of that one. Talk about dumb.... btw, welcome to the forum.

KYrob said:
I am referring to how some stove companies sell the stove and you have to buy the door as an extra. Kinda like buying a truck and having to buy the steering wheel as an extra part. One without the other is pretty much useless unless you need a high dollar boat anchor. Anyway, I know you all have seen this before but guess I am bored today.

Rob

I think it has less to do with the stove company and more to do with the website you go to. A lot of websites that claim lower prices seem to do it with Napoleon, Osburn, Lennox, etc. and post a low price for the stove but you are forced to choose legs/pedestal and doors which raise the price $300-$600. Obviously you need those parts for the stove, but by adding them as mandatory options they get to post a lower price to draw you in.

It's a lame marketing ploy.

They do it in midland, also, You buy the body of the stove for one price, then the door, then the leg or pedestal, then ash drawer. That way you customize the stove the way you want it. The quadra fires are that way. do to the doors are all different. gold trim,nickel,black. When you are all done that is the final price so be ware!!

They really ought to just have the most basic option at one price: ie the black door or pedestal etc, (whatever is cheapest) and list it as "base price" but at least it's a complete stove. Then they could list the upgrades (gold trim, etc) as additional cost items. So you are still ordering it custom but you know what the basic price is. Wouldn't that make sense?

Regarding the lower priced stoves you can order online, I thought it was just the opposite issue, that their prices DO include everything, but that the premium brands you can get through dealers are the ones who price doors and options separately, perhaps to try to make it look like their base price is closer to the hardware store brands or something? Either way, I feel that selling doors separately is disingenuous. HOwever from what I could tell if I ever asked a dealer the price they did give me the price for the whole thing. That may have been because it's how they "always" price and sell them, or it might have been the way I asked (I always said I wanted the price WITH door, blower, surround.)

Wish I didn't get the surround - won't need it!

Status
Not open for further replies.